Getting the LED out....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting the LED out....

....and speaking of great guitar riffs, Led Zepplica will be in town Saturday and to commemorate, I riffed with the guys for a while...

I sat down with these very talented dudes and now, I want you to sit in with me and get into their heads...
    Great guys all... Joe Retta, (as lead singer/Robert Plant). Lenny Mann, (Guitar/Jimmy Page) and Darryl Johnson plays the John "Bonzo" Bonham 'role... bassist, Stan Taylor (John Paul Jones)...

Question: What was your favorite show with the band?

Lenny: Without a doubt it was our concert performance in Santiago, Chile. Thousands of screaming fans came to see us. We were the only band performing that night and after every song, it was like hearing a major stadium full of people applauding and cheering. I will never forget that. We also performed at the Sunset Station Amphitheatre in Las Vegas to a few thousand people that rates high as well.

Joe: S.B fiesta: People were jammed together like some "Us" festival concert and sang every word to every song. Pretty rockin, man!

Question: Joe, you sound so much like Robert Plant in his prime. Was he an early influence on you?

Oh yeah. The moment time I heard the first album I was hooked for life. "Spiritual" ... is all I can say.

Question: Have you mastered other vocalists besides Plant?

Joe: Yes, I have done Ronnie James Dio, Paul Rogers and currently fronting another project as Freddie Mercury.

Question: I see the band also has the "look"....of the original... and plays the actual instruments of the original band. How difficult was this to achieve?

Lenny: Very, but we love it and that makes it easier.... Over the years we have scrutinized all available and rare footage of Led Zepp and every bit of minutiae of their performances and concerts to fully master their playing style and convey their energy. Now, it's second nature...

Question: I see there are many tributes to Led Zeppelin on tributecity.com. Does this worry you?

Lenny: No, not really. Actually, I am the webmaster for Tribute City and I welcome the competition. We are the ones that are first chosen, to fly thousands of miles to perform at special events all over the country. We are the best at what we do and if the buyer wants only the best, they contact us.

Question: What is the future of Led Zepplica?

Stan: Led Zeppelin will live on forever; you only have to look at the kinds fans that show up to our shows. Guys, girls, ages 15 through 55... Some are just into the radio hits, but a surprising number are into the blues, and many more are into the trippy East-Indian influences that Zep picked up on "Houses of the Holy" and beyond. We're not worried about our future; the Zeppelin legacy is one that keeps bring new fans into the fold... We've been "tributing" Led Zeppelin nearly as long as Zeppelin themselves were doing their stuff, and it never gets old; considering all the inventiveness and change-ups in their live performances, I feel as if we've still only scratched the surface of their genius!

Question: What drew you to the love of Zep?

Darryl: Listening to Zep in the late 70's and *early 80's . I remember quite vividly how the music made me feel. It was like watching a movie. It has this omni-present connection to my soul.* Id listen to the In through The Outdoor on vinyl over and over* in the dark while talking endlessly to my girlfriend on the phone. It was special beyond my knowing.* When you go through puberty you associate the music with the times, so the whole Zeppelin-catalogs are priceless to me.* I didn't play drums at that time, yet... I didn't*know I wanted that till 83-84 in high school, but I feel the music laid a good foundation to what good writing was all about.* It also instilled what* really good time keeping was all about. "* I could play drums the first time I sat down on a kit, not well , but good enough to know I can do this."

Question: How do you manifest John Bonham on stage?**

Darryl: "I pride myself on studying the chemistry of Zeppelin so when on stage I can relax and channel Bonhams energy and spirit through me. I’ve talked with his roadie Jeff Ocheltree about this stuff*and I’ve modeled everything I can find on the drums and music..He’s always there.* He can play me if he wants too, I don't mind.* Bonzo listened to the music with big ears and like myself, loved to improvise and BE THE MUSIC.
    In my eyes,*John Bonham was cut off way too short and he had a lot more to give in the way of music and innovation"

Question: "Bonzo", What are the greatest rewards of* playing the Zep Catalogs?*****

Darryl: "Jimmy Page is a visionary composer.* I admire his ability to produce the music with so much sonic energy.* I try to model Jimmy’s approach when I record and engineer the band's demo's in my production*studios. I’ve learned quite alot about the Zep catalogs by recording them and trying to achieve a similar sound and vibe. No one can tell you exactly how to record, for there's no manual for magical compositions, 'tho I wish there were. You have to hear it in your head and let nature run its course.*I love our version of Kashmir and Misty Mountain Hop. I'm working on replacing and adding a few more to our band's demo list since I'm getting better at recording..* It’s a great challenge to figure how to get*it right. It’s a Science, and I'm a musical mad scientist.*All the Zep rerecording I have done along with *live shows( over 3,000 since 1993*)*have spawned original music with all that chemistry that make our band quite authentic. You should hear this stuff.* Its like lost Zep material unreleased." I think we could get a record deal and I would want Jimmy Page to produce it and I would engineer it. It's possible so I will ask Jimmy some day if he's interested. "

Question: Lenny, what are the greatest rewards of* playing the Zep material?**

Lenny: The fans reactions. Many's a time when a fan has said to us that they saw Led Zeppelin before... and we are as close to anything they have seen since then and thanking us for doing what we do. The music is timeless and for myself, I never get bored performing it. We all have mastered our respective mentor’s styles and we are able to improvise using this on stage. We can sound like them even though playing unrehearsed parts.

Question: If you were to meet the remaining members of Zeppelin what would you say?*

Darryl: I would say "At your service gentleman" and " You have no idea how much you changed my life”, “May I kiss your feet!!!”, " Do I owe you any*Money?" or*just be speechless* looking into their eyes directly, holding out my hand and trying to say “Thank you sooo much ! "

Lenny: I would probably ask about the early days of their climb to success and what words of wisdom they could share with us.

Question: What's your mission in Led Zepplica?

Lenny: Currently I am speaking with overseas buyers for some exciting shows for 2006 that will take us to some exotic destinations and thousands of appreciative Led Zeppelin fans. We look forward to turning more fans onto Zep.

Darryl: To*remain the best representation of*Zeppelin's music and live show that ever walked the planet”*and to expose this group to every major city in the world and spread the love of Zeppelin to the future generations. So far we have really enjoyed doing just that and look forward to more."

Mahalo Nui, boys! and see you on stage!

...oh, and here's a pic of yer ol pal Kimo at one o da concerts!
    Last edited by kimo55; August 18, 2005, 11:17 PM.

Re: Getting the LED out....

and here's a little more on Led Zepp, by one of our fave Journalists, Burl:

http://starbulletin.com/2005/08/19/features/index4.html

Comment

one of the proudest moments of my musical career was when i learned "black mountain side"...tragically, i've since forgetten how to play it...how much of zepplica's set includes instrumentals? can they pull off a "white summer"? or "bron-y-aur," which i consider to be one of the most beautiful compositions ever?
      Don't be mean,
      try to help.

Comment

Originally posted by jdub
        can they pull off a "white summer"? or "bron-y-aur," which i consider to be one of the most beautiful compositions ever?
        oh yea baby, no doubt. i've heard it done...

here's some blackdog...
        http://www.led-zepplica.com/media/Black_Dog_fiesta.mp3
        Last edited by kimo55; August 19, 2005, 04:19 PM.

Comment

kimo, i believe you, despite my skeptical pathology...so when is the ZEP party, and what should i bring to where?

oh, and yea, being an olde rock and roller, i was proud to hear that zepplica's encore was "kashmir"...kimo, you'd quite obviously know better than anyone...was it worthy?

i'll bring beer and some acoustic chops...do i gotta bring the poke too?

answer the question(s)...and remember, i've been in rock and roll for a long time, so smug condescension is not only repugnant, but counterproctive....

if i seem punchy, it's cuz i just played my own ass off for 3 times as long as any trib-puke band ever has...<<please note the intentional exaggeration

hats off to roy harper

jamie
          Last edited by jdub; August 21, 2005, 05:31 AM.
          Don't be mean,
          try to help.

Comment

the Zep party was last nite at da Pipe. It was a full house. SLUG gave us a powerful set of classic Black Sabbath and others, and got the crowd pumped up fully. These guys shred. Shred for Led. That's what I wanted and that's what I got.

(Later, there was mutual acknowledgment; "You guys are great." "no, YOU guys are great!".... between SLUG and ZEPP.)

After a little while of stage changes, Zepplica hit and it was like a monsoon. A tsunami of energy pushed toward the stage and when the first notes hit, the love went right back, multiplied. The audience went nuts. And the decible level of adulation rose incrementally as each song flowed through the cavernous Pipeline cafe, across "the ocean".

Toward the end, Hawaii did not want to see the boys leave. It was a near riot. I haven't heard noise like that in a long time, demanding another encore.
            During the show, a girl popped into the green room so she could hear her self on the cell phone and she weas yelling, "GET down here, These guys are amazing. Ya gotta see this. It's incredible!"

A reporter who will be doing a piece on them shortly told me "this is just like being at a 70's Zepp concert! These guys are so much like the real thing, it's scary!"

Zepplica has been known to play straight through for three hours many times, but as the Pipeline has a ten pm cerfew, to allow for their late nite "programming" (last nite was a dj'ed fashion show) the set was just under two hours. But given half a chance they woulda raised the sun and raised the dead.
            Last edited by kimo55; August 21, 2005, 10:01 AM.

Comment

a lil of what ya may have seen if you wus there, what ya missed, if not...

http://www.tikitv.com/zepphawaii.html

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                a lil of what ya may have seen if you wus there, what ya missed, if not...

http://www.tikitv.com/zepphawaii.html
                "The singer puts Plant to shame, cuz this sounds just like Led Zeppelin in their prime!"

Wow Kimo I'm surprised you didn't call the guy on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                  "The singer puts Plant to shame, cuz this sounds just like Led Zeppelin in their prime!"

Wow Kimo I'm surprised you didn't call the guy on this one.

why.
                  or why not.
                  or
                  wot you mean?!

Comment

Working...
                  X