Losing the Aloha in the Islanders on the Mainland

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Losing the Aloha in the Islanders on the Mainland

Okay so - we see cars with Hawaii kine stickers and decals, rear view mirror hanging (ikaika, uli uli); people sporting hawaiian design t-shirt (look like aloha flea market kine) - and when we say HI or throw the shaka we get NO Aloha spirit back!
    Just last week I met one family at a co. picnic - the girl is from Mau'i sporting one big "Mau'i Pride" decal on the front of her SUV. When come time fo show aloha and give hug she went look at me like I was weird
    I should add that this happened on more than one occasion with people we meet that say they are locals from Hawaii - quite too frequently I should say.
    I dunno, my sister (who show full pride of being a keiki of Hawaii) was stationed in KY for a short time and pointed out what she called "stuck up Hawaiians" living there.
    Is it true? Have the islanders lost the Aloha spirit here on CONUS? Are they turing haolefied? Have they forgotten the Aloha ways?
    Last edited by Pikake; August 20, 2005, 07:45 AM. Reason: spell error

Re: Losing the Aloha in the Islanders on the Mainland

sad but true. unfortunate that this could happen...
    "When in Rome do as the Romans do."
    kama'aina live too long on the mainland, they turn grumpy, caustic and arrogant, I suppose to get along with the rest, as that's the language of the locale...

Comment

I continued our traditions when I lived in the Bay Area and in Vallejo. I guess it was because had alot of Local's too. Lot's of picnic's, parties and the usual friendly honi honi's to one and all!

My daughter lives in Florida. I hope she still has the Aloha in her. I shall see when she returns for her new station here in March with her husband!

Aloha is not something one can just get or lose. It is in each of us who are born and raised in the islands. It's like Common mango vs Hayden mango. Hmmm...I don't know if I making sense. Better stop before I confuse myself!

Aloha!
      Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I think it depends on the situation. I just spent last evening and part of today in Kalama, WA. That town was founded by John Kalama from Kula 175 years ago. He married a Nisqually princess and his descendants still live in the area (including a granddaughter who is in her 90s now who gave a Nisqually prayer yesterday at the opening ceremonies). It was really cool to have kanaka maoli/Native American people walking around in this little whistlestop town (one of their claims to fame is that the Kalama Inn, where we stayed, also hosted Elvis Presley in the 1960s). The concert with Charlie Ricaido, John Keawe and Dennis Kamakahi was just so awesome. And afterwards, we stood around and talked with Dennis Kamakahi. He married these friends of mine in Hawai'i several years back, and he was really surprised to see them, but he was very gracious and nice to us. We also saw bunches of people we usually bump into at Seattle Hawaiian events so there was a lot of honi honi with them. I think on the Mainland, the locals feel a little hesitant to show aloha until they know you.

Of course, there are some who would rather not be reminded of their local roots, but I think deep down inside, they want to show the aloha, but they can't, which is kinda sad. On the other hand, get a whole bunch of locals together (not just one or two), feed them some good local grinds, kanikapila little bit, talk story little bit, and then the aloha (and the pidgin! ) comes out.

Miulang

P.S. Pikake: Where in Seattle do you live, and how long have you lived in Seattle? There are a bunch of us expats in the Seattle area, and for the last 4 summers, we get together and eat, laugh, talk story and play music. This year's event was held about a month ago. Next year, if we have another one of these picnics, I'll make sure to invite you and you'll have your perceptions altered greatly...
        Last edited by Miulang; August 20, 2005, 01:07 PM.
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
          kama'aina live too long on the mainland, they turn grumpy, caustic and arrogant, I suppose to get along with the rest, as that's the language of the locale...
          Then again, there are lots of locals who still live in Hawaii who are grumpy, caustic and arrogant.

Comment

and when we say HI or throw the shaka we get NO Aloha spirit back!
            That is so sad, Pikake! Hopefully you will cross my or my hubby's path in Seattle. We love hugs and talking with folks from Hawaii.

If you throw the shaka sign at me, however, I won't do it back only because I could never do it really well when I lived back home either, lol, so I don't want to embarass myself, but I'm always excited to run into someone from back home. Invariably, discussion always seems to go towards where to find good mac salad.
            * I would be most content if my children grew up to be the kind of people who think decorating consists mostly of building enough bookshelves. *
            - Anna Quindlen

Comment

Originally posted by Pikake
              Okay so - we see cars with Hawaii kine stickers and decals, rear view mirror hanging (ikaika, uli uli); people sporting hawaiian design t-shirt (look like aloha flea market kine) - and when we say HI or throw the shaka we get NO Aloha spirit back!

Is it true? Have the islanders lost the Aloha spirit here on CONUS? Are they turing haolefied? Have they forgotten the Aloha ways?
              Eh sistah... U chrow da shaka at me, foah shuah I going geev um back! Jass look foah one white mini-van wit "100% tita" on da back!

Happens to me on da freeway alla time.... one honk, den da shaka exchange. Gimme big smiyo.

Hope u staht to run into da same peeps dat I do!
              Aloha,
              Mokihana

Comment

I'm telling you!!! The folx who want to either perpetrate or represent Hawaii here in the Mainland should by default throw the island "salute" when presented with it or if they see a fellow islander.

Nuff said!
                www.goarmy.com
                Island Soldier serving prodly!!
                Go For Broke Alumnus - 1991 to 1999
                Supporting the U.S. Army Reserve in the Pacific Northwest.
                www.goarmy.com

Comment

Eh sistah... U chrow da shaka at me, foah shuah I going geev um back! Jass look foah one white mini-van wit "Eh sistah... U chrow da shaka at me, foah shuah I going geev um back! Jass look foah one white mini-van wit "100% tita" on da back!

Happens to me on da freeway alla time.... one honk, den da shaka exchange. Gimme big smiyo.

Hope u staht to run into da same peeps dat I do!
                  Mahalo Mokihana - I look fo u! Hope to run in same kine peeps as u 2!

That is so sad, Pikake! Hopefully you will cross my or my hubby's path in Seattle. We love hugs and talking with folks from Hawaii.

If you throw the shaka sign at me, however, I won't do it back only because I could never do it really well when I lived back home either, lol, so I don't want to embarass myself, but I'm always excited to run into someone from back home.
                  U'ilani -
                  Get plenny NW folxs on this thread ! Hope to run in u guyz too!!! Eh - and shaka back no be shame - just extend da thumb and da pinky and stik um out of the car. No shake your shaka hand from side to side bumbai your vehicle going be swaying too !

P.S. Pikake: Where in Seattle do you live, and how long have you lived in Seattle? There are a bunch of us expats in the Seattle area, and for the last 4 summers, we get together and eat, laugh, talk story and play music. This year's event was held about a month ago. Next year, if we have another one of these picnics, I'll make sure to invite you and you'll have your perceptions altered greatly...
                  Hi Miulang -

Moved to WA in 1999. Spokane 1999-2001 den Seattle from 12/2001 - Current. Right now we live in Magnolia/Interbay area. My husband (Mililani c/o 1989. I am from Waianae, leilehua '93) is stationed here as a Recruiter at Alderwood Mall he's the reason we're out here. I love Seattle! I love it's diversity and hate it's weather (next month starts the cool down ) We try to get involved out here (hula, paddling, etc). I look forward to the invite. I would love for my keikis to get a good exposure amongst the islander folks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pikake
                    Hi Miulang -

Moved to WA in 1999. Spokane 1999-2001 den Seattle from 12/2001 - Current. Right now we live in Magnolia/Interbay area. My husband (Mililani c/o 1989. I am from Waianae, leilehua '93) is stationed here as a Recruiter at Alderwood Mall he's the reason we're out here. I love Seattle! I love it's diversity and hate it's weather (next month starts the cool down ) We try to get involved out here (hula, paddling, etc). I look forward to the invite. I would love for my keikis to get a good exposure amongst the islander folks.
                    Hui Pikake: You don't live too far away from us. We live in Greenwood. It's good you're trying to get involved in the local Hawai'i scene. Which halau/paddling clubs do you belong to?

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Good to see all the Seattle area folks here on this board (I just found it this week), AND to see how many came to the guitar shows in Shoreline & Kalama (I was the emcee.)
                      Hope to bump into you in person --- and to discover that I already know you!

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                        Which halau/paddling clubs do you belong to?
                        My daughter danced at Na Hanu O Ku'ulei Aloha down Burien side. She's rejoining now that her hula hip are working. My husband was with SOCC (Seattle Outrigger Canoe Club) but couldn't continue because of his work. My son like join but no mo youth paddle.

Comment

Working...
                        X