..."Acquired tastes"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ..."Acquired tastes"

Was reading the "distinguishing local from non-local" thread in Mixed Plate and the subject of balut came up, which made me think of another food that separates the REAL locals from the wannabees...natto. I've never had the stomach to eat it, though my mom would devour it with gusto.

Any other "acquired tastes"?
    http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Re: ..."Acquired tastes"

Natto rolls are awesome! Are you talking about the fermented soybean paste natto rolls? They are some ono. I don't think there is much aquiring a taste to them, like balut...but I don't remember when I first starting eating them...I think I always have!

As for balut...salted or not...never had it, and never will!

Comment

Natto is OK in small quantities.

But how about ‘opihi, now there's a local acquired taste for you. Man, I don't know why Hawaiians risk their lives dodging waves to harvest those little buggahs. Salty and tough and rubbery. No thanks.

Comment

I know, I know: Kilawen Bindongo (raw liver,beef,tripe with bile) mixed together. Some mean the taste.

Pinapaitan: Beef Intestines, bile, beef, tripe....cooked

Dinoguan: Pig's blood, pork, intestines, and heart.

Aki Raw liver...this is the best of the bestest!

Auntie Lynn
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Stinky Foods that Actually Taste Delicious (msn.com)

Kusai.

Comment

If You're Throwing Shrimp Shells Away, You're Making A Big Mistake (yahoo.com)

You can choke on those shells.

Comment

Burger Latte draws curious customers to SD coffee shop (khon2.com)

I haven't tried a burger with coffee yet.

Comment

Working...
              X