Shogun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shogun

Have anybody ever read Shogun before? I loved it a lot! I didn't know it was sort of based on a true story. In the story they mention something about a peasant samurai who units all of Japan under one rule and since this Samurai wasn't of noble birth he couldn't claim the famous title Shogun by the Emperor instead he was named the Taiko, later his son become's the SHOGUN. In the book however this Taiko passes away but before he dies he has a son and since he is too young he can't Rule so he tells his five Regeant Daimio's to protect the Kingdom for his son, and that every year on his son's birthday these Daimios are to meet up in Osaka. One of the Regeant Damio's is a peasant Lord Ishido the ruler of Osaka decides he wants to become Shogun so on the year that all the Daimios meet up he entreats three of the other daimios into joining him and with their power they are going to make One of their least like and best warrior General the regeant Daimio Toranaga commit Sepuku (kill himself) by empeaching him, than stamp out Christianity and all foreign Trade.

The year is 1615 and an English Pilot from the Neitherlands sails into the harbor of Japan unto one of Lord Toranaga's sole province, with musket powder and cannons and a marqui(Title) from his queen to destroy the Portugese who are already on the Islands of Japan.

I think they created a movie on it staring Richard Chamberlane.
    Last edited by Pedro; August 20, 2005, 03:42 PM.
    A Warrior does not give up on what he loves he finds the love in what he does.

Re: Shogun

The Shogun mini-series starring Richard Chamberlain was the television event of the year in the 1982-1983 season. I didn't watch it because I was in eighth grade and it was on past my bed time, but my parents, who have had two televisions for as long as I can remember and spent their evenings in separate rooms, watching separate TVs, actually watched that series together. The story is based upon the story of the Tokugawa shogunate; the Toranaga character is supposed to be Tokugawa Ieyasu, if I remember my history correctly.

I haven't read it, but my father and all his friends loved it, and read Clavell's other Asian historical fictions, Tai-Pan, Noble House, and King Rat. If you loved Shogun, you should check these other two out.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

sounds good,ever since watching Last Samurai I've gained an active interest in Japan's culture

Comment

Does Richard Chamberlain still live in Hawai'i? I heard a few years ago that he sold his Tantalus house and was going to build another one.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
          Does Richard Chamberlain still live in Hawai'i? I heard a few years ago that he sold his Tantalus house and was going to build another one.
          I think Richard pasted away recently.
          Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
          Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
              A sticky end.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

A sticky end.
                Just couldn't resist, eh?

Comment

I keep seeing "Shibumi"

...which was a book by a guy named Trevanian. Rocked my world, Shibumi did. Sorry; had to share; factoid over. We now resume with our regularly scheduled broadcast....

pax

Comment

Re: I keep seeing "Shibumi"

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o

...which was a book by a guy named Trevanian. Rocked my world, Shibumi did. Sorry; had to share; factoid over. We now resume with our regularly scheduled broadcast....
                    Hey, thanks for mentioning that factoid! I loved reading that book many years ago -- must've been way back when I read Shogun too -- and hadn't thought about it again until now.

Comment

Working...
                    X