Any Boatbuilders?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Boatbuilders?

Just wondering if anyone has built a boat? Small or large, fishing or sail. Wood, fiberglass, steel. If you have please tell us your experience at it.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Re: Any Boatbuilders?

Originally posted by Buddy2
    Just wondering if anyone has built a boat? Small or large, fishing or sail. Wood, fiberglass, steel. If you have please tell us your experience at it.
    I built a boat once than after...with the same paper, I built an airplane! I tink I wuz in Kindergarten.

Oh, oops. Wood, fiberglass, steel! Ya neva say paper! Nah, thought we could use a laugh or two. It's 11:11 pm. and nothing to do than checking if any new topics here. I betta go sleep and talk to my Angels.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I have never built a boat but man am I tempted to build this one:

Ulua 18' sailing Canoe

I've really studied it and I think I could do it. Just a dream right now but making a passage in a boat that I built is one of the "Things-to-do-before-I-die" items on my list.

Aloha,

Slick
      Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine!

Comment

I have the building plans for this sailboat MICRO and hope to make it happen someday.

Comment

Originally posted by Buddy2
          I have the building plans for this sailboat MICRO and hope to make it happen someday.
          There's another Phil Bolger-designed boat much like that one that sails in Kaneohe Bay regularly.

Comment

Originally posted by DMM
            There's another Phil Bolger-designed boat much like that one that sails in Kaneohe Bay regularly.
            Belongs to my next-door neighbor. Uses it for fishing, mostly. And as for "sailing" it, well... they paddle upwind and sail downwind.
            (Tried to put a Big Grin smiley here but the buttons on the Smilies panel aren't working!)

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

The best job I ever had was as First Mate aboard "Captain Bob's" tourist sail out of He'eia Kea Boat Harbor. Sailing daily out to the sandbar to play volleyball with bikini clad ladies. Photo is of Afa,
              Ka'ai'ai, Capt. Parnel and myself. I saw quite a few homebuilt boats plying the bay and that's when I got the idea to try and build one.
              Last edited by Menehune Man; August 30, 2005, 09:29 PM. Reason: Add old photo

Comment

This looks like a fairly simple small sailboat to build. It's called a San Francisco Pelican. Originally 12' but now there's 16' & 18' models. Only a centerboard so no messing with building a mold and melting lead to add ballast to a keel. I know that they're pretty stout little boats because there's a race across San Francisco Bay every year in the 12' models. I just want a plaything to get me out to the Kaneohe sandbar on days off. Here's a PHOTO

There's nothing so much fun as just messing about in boats!

Comment

Originally posted by LikaNui
                  (Tried to put a Big Grin smiley here but the buttons on the Smilies panel aren't working!)

then here's whatcha put fer dat:

(SFSF)

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    then here's whatcha put fer dat:

(SFSF)
                    Hey, you stole that from my Harley newsgroup!

grrr!

FYI: Stoopid Freakin' Smiley Face

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                      FYI: Stoopid Freakin' Smiley Face

Thanks MadAzza. I didn't know what it meant and thought it may have had something to do with the previous post... San Francisco(SF) was written twice.

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                        This looks like a fairly simple small sailboat to build. It's called a San Francisco Pelican.
                        What a sweet looking little boat! Interesting that the rig is actually stayed. Nice rig & sailplan for running and reaching, but it probably won't go to windward too well. And I like the deep cockpit. Hope you build it. Already got the plans, or still in the dreaming stage?

I know that they're pretty stout little boats because there's a race across San Francisco Bay every year in the 12' models.
                        Not a problem. I sailed a 7-footer across 32 miles of open ocean between islands.
                        Once.

There's nothing so much fun as just messing about in boats!
                        Or as I like to say, "God does not deduct from our lifespans the time spent out on the ocean."

Comment

Have not actually built a boat from scratch, but been involved in at least 30 drydocks on various vessels here on Big Island. My advice to you is to go to work in a drydock for a while before attempting to build a boat. If you have carpentry skills, then you need to "un-learn" them. Throw away the level and the square. Sailing Rules !! So go for it.

"A boat is like a hole in the water that you fill with money."

"A boat is like a child, except a boat never goes to sleep, and never goes to school"

"Owning a sailboat is like standing in an ice cold shower, with a rain jacket on, tearing up $100 bills."

"The happiest days in a man's life are the day he buys his first boat, and the day he sells the damn thing."

"I got a brand new boat for my wife for Christmas. I'm sure gonna miss her."

"Sailing is the second best thing you can do with your clothes off."

Aloha

Capt. Tim
                          FutureNewsNetwork.com
                          Energy answers are already here.

Comment

Thanks Capt. Tim! Funny stuff. I've never built a boat either, though worked at Keehi Marine Center for 2 years and South Sails for 6 months way back when. I've built cabinetry into my boats and yes nothing is truly "square" along with every other project a boat owner has to deal with. I lived almost 10 years aboard my own vessels, mostly sail, but my daughter's first home was a 27' cabin cruiser. Anchoring out in Keehi Lagoon back when it was free! Those were the days my friend... I've been boatless for many years now, having raised 2 kids into pretty cool adults. I would never get my wife to live on a boat but am starting to dry up myself so really need a project and then a plaything. Think it's called a "Mid-life Crisis".

Comment

The word "boat" can be broken down to Break Out Another Thou$and.

Comment

Working...
                              X