The 40 year old virgin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 40 year old virgin

Great movie. Very funny with all the trials a kindly yet nerdy 40 yr old guy has to go through. Perfect is how he has three friends who have varying degrees of knowledge on how to have a good relationship giving him advice. We've all got those friends who know everything about dating huh? Just shows you have to be choosy with advice when going after the one you want.

Very nice ending. Kind of gives hope to this one 31 yr old virgin who finally got his first gf ever a couple of months ago.

Re: The 40 year old virgin

Who, Where? Let me know if you know some fiftish virgins. They do exist...let Auntie Lynn know, PLEASE!!!!!!!
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine

Who, Where? Let me know if you know some fiftish virgins. They do exist...let Auntie Lynn know, PLEASE!!!!!!!
      Yes, please let Auntie Lynn know...and then notify their next of kin.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
        Yes, please let Auntie Lynn know...and then notify their next of kin.
        Wat, Laulau...finally get up? Been looking for you all ova!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Just head out to the next Star-Trek convention,bet you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a fifty somethin virgin

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
            Just head out to the next Star-Trek convention,bet you couldn't throw a rock without hitting a fifty somethin virgin

Why? Is there a problem being a "trekki?" I'm a Trekki, I a decendent of the Lemurians.

Autnie Lynn

Comment

LOL you crack me up!! Yah this friend of mine who just got hooked up is a total trekkie. Told me once a couple years ago, "Yes, I wish my mom would make a uniform like that for me." So he's happy, got a full Japanese gurl and he still gets to be a trekkie.

The movie is really good. Showing how some guys who give up looking for chicks just end up really getting into some very individual hobby to pass time. You can find these virgins at trek conventions, comic book stores, or arcades.

Hey Aunty I don't know any 50 yr old virgins but I know a couple more 30+ yr old virgins wanna meet them??

Comment

Originally posted by saigonwarrior
                Hey Aunty I don't know any 50 yr old virgins but I know a couple more 30+ yr old virgins wanna meet them??
                Yes!!!!!! Yes!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!
                Hurry up before I die. Yipee!
                Let me know, life is to short.
                What a way to go...
                Wait, wea I going?
                My answer stll is Yes!

Auntie Lynn

PS. The Widow and The 30+ Virgins (good title for one movie or series)!
                Last edited by 1stwahine; August 22, 2005, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Yes!!!!!! Yes!!!!!! Yes!!!!!!
                  I thought already get one series called Desparate Housewives
                  Aloha! Have a nice day
                  Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                  Flickr

Comment

Anyone here actually want to discuss the movie?

Here's the Rotten Tomatoes summary for "The 40-Year-Old Virgin." As of the moment, it stands at 86% fresh among critics (92% fresh among users), a surprisingly good rating, IMHO. It all comes down to Steve Carell (The Daily Show), and it sounds like he carries the film.

Some reviews:

Comment

The movie was very good

It was a good mix of many thiings. It was funny but not stupid funny. It was actually believeable. The characters, not only Paul, made you feel for them. The friends were well cast as guys who knew a little about hooking up but had their own issues. His love interests were well cast. The 40 yr old gradnmother who eventually warmed his heart and the young book store chick who he eventually sdid not choose.

Classic lines and a soon to be classic movie. It is one of the funniest and touching movies I've seen in a while.

I give it a thumbs up.

Comment

I saw the movie on Saturday night at Ward Theatre and it was funny. You either laugh at the sight gags or at what was said by the cast members.

The hair waxing scene had the audience either laughing or cringing when the hair got removed.

While his chest was kind of hairy his back was totally hairless to begin with.
                        Last edited by helen; August 28, 2005, 01:09 AM.

Comment

The 40-Year-Old Virgin

Yay! I finally got to see this!

The 40-Year-Old Virgin
                          Steve Carell, Catherine Keener, Seth Rogen, Paul Rudd

This was a rather well-reviewed film and something I've wanted to see since it was in theaters, but it's another one I never got around to until this weekend. Carell plays Andy Stitzer, something of a loser, a loner, a misfit who works in the stockroom at a Best-Buy-like electronics store. Although he's a bit odd, he's an average-looking guy who's had his opportunities with women but has never gone all the way. His immature co-workers think this is a terrible thing and they make it their goal to get him laid.

This whole thing only works if Carell pulls it off. I'm so tired of lame portrayals of geeky guys and I resent recent attempts to paint them as today's heroes, but Andy is like a lot of people I know in most ways and a lot like the way I see myself whether or not that's really me. When his co-workers admit to each other that they've spent years keeping Andy at armslength because he's so strange, once they spend some time with him they see that he's a really nice guy, harmless and misunderstood.

The plot could have gone many bad ways. The title sounds so condescending, and in a way I know that's the only way a LOT of people can read it, yet Andy's celibacy is--though not necessarily by choice--portrayed as pathetic but virtuous, the result of a combination of bad luck, bad timing, and decent choices. Meanwhile, all these people around him, people who have supposedly been liberated by sexual activity, are paying the price, some in exaggerated comedic fashion (as with the co-worker who's cheating on his long-time, live-in girlfriend) and some in much more sober fashion, as with Catherine Keener's Trish Piedmont, a sympathetic business owner who likes Andy for what he is but is a single mom of three and much too young to be someone's grandmother.

As with many Judd Apatow projects, there are moments of juvenile crudeness. Apatow loves to put his characters in awkward, embarrassing situations and draw those scenes out to their most ridiculous conclusions. I don't usually find these elements very funny, but there is one scene where Andy gets his hairy chest waxed that I could not stop laughing at. Yes, it's an idiotic plot element, but yes: the way Carell plays it and the way Andy's friends take so much harmless pleasure out of seeing him subject himself to this treatment (even the girl who does the waxing cannot contain her amusement) combine to turn what could have been mean into something silly and fun without crossing the line into grossness. That pretty much sums up the movie right there.

8/10 (IMDb rating)
                          81/100 (Criticker rating)

---

ps: Has anyone else noticed that we have another thread with the same title here?

pps: Hats off also to whoever was responsible for titling the film. You'd think Hollywood is unaware of the existence of hyphens the way so many movies are terribly punctuated. This one gets it right, even if this thread gets it wrong. and
                          Last edited by scrivener; March 14, 2011, 12:18 AM. Reason: "i can't seem to get used to the facts..."
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Scrivener, I'd appreciate a relative ranking of the panoply of Judd Apatow projects you've seen.
                            May I always be found beneath your contempt.

Comment

Working...
                            X