PDA

View Full Version : 'nadda ALOHA from Washington

Leo Lakio
August 23rd, 2005, 01:02 PM
I'm in Seattle, where the links to Hawai`i just keep getting stronger. The Island `ohana in this area is BIG! We have dozens of hula halau, several radio programs (and even a cable TV show) of Hawaiian music and cultural discussion, a monthly community newspaper, several great Hawaiian restaurants, and a few Island-themed gift shops. We've had a lot of Hawaiian musicians come through the area in recent years, too.

I'm involved in a lot of these activities myself - I play music and dance (a little) with one halau, I'm one of the radio/TV hosts, I write music reviews for the newspaper, and emcee some of the concerts. As part of my job, I program Hawaiian music for stores, malls, restaurants, airports, etc., in Hawai`i.

And I'm not from the Islands - I'm a convert who has been drawn in by the culture and people. My sweetie is from Kane`ohe, so we visit family almost every year. The people of the Hawaiian/Pacific Islands community in this area have opened their arms wide to welcome me in, and I feel so fortunate every day to be witness to the real meaning of "aloha spirit."

Glen Miyashiro
August 23rd, 2005, 01:10 PM
Howzit AO. So how long ago did you meet your kane?

1stwahine
August 23rd, 2005, 01:21 PM
Aloha and welcome to hawaiithreads.com :D

I'm Auntie Lynn

Pua'i Mana'o
August 23rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
with aloha I have to tell you that your HT nick is blinding me. Akamai is smart, and okole is the rectal area, and while I think you wanted to be cute and good-naturedly call yourself a smart@ss, it doesn't read that way at all.

me ke aloha, Pua'i

Glen Miyashiro
August 23rd, 2005, 01:26 PM
Hmm. So should it be "Okole Akamai" instead? I guess "Akamai Okole" means ass-smart. :D

Leo Lakio
August 25th, 2005, 01:53 PM
Thanks for the thoughts - I'll change the nick soon (rather than just being an @$$ the whole time.)

MadAzza
August 25th, 2005, 02:10 PM
with aloha I have to tell you that your HT nick is blinding me. Akamai is smart, and okole is the rectal area, and while I think you wanted to be cute and good-naturedly call yourself a smart@ss, it doesn't read that way at all.

It did to me, but what do I know? I thought it was kinda funny.

Best to call oneself a smartass before someone else does!

Miulang
August 25th, 2005, 03:05 PM
I'm in Seattle, where the links to Hawai`i just keep getting stronger. The Island `ohana in this area is BIG! We have dozens of hula halau, several radio programs (and even a cable TV show) of Hawaiian music and cultural discussion, a monthly community newspaper, several great Hawaiian restaurants, and a few Island-themed gift shops. We've had a lot of Hawaiian musicians come through the area in recent years, too.

I'm involved in a lot of these activities myself - I play music and dance (a little) with one halau, I'm one of the radio/TV hosts, I write music reviews for the newspaper, and emcee some of the concerts. As part of my job, I program Hawaiian music for stores, malls, restaurants, airports, etc., in Hawai`i.

Hoo bruddah! You wen give yourself away wit all dakine hints you wen give! ;) I not as quick as bruddah Lurkah, but now I stay catch on. Eh, how da keiki who had da hotfeet wen dey wen go hula in Kalama? Da kane looked like his feet could handle da pavement, but da poor wahine...auwe! :(

Had one good time in Kalama last weekend. Eh, ask Uncle Danny if he knows about the new Hawaiian restaurant called Kamalani's on Queen Anne Hill. The wahine who owns Gordito's (Marlene) also owns Kamalani.

Miulang

Miulang
August 25th, 2005, 04:31 PM
Thanks for the thoughts - I'll change the nick soon (rather than just being an @$$ the whole time.)
How's about "Bruddah G"? Nobody kapu that name yet on HT.

Miulang

Tiger Beer
August 26th, 2005, 04:17 AM
Seattle keeps getting more and more interesting all the time.

lurkah
August 26th, 2005, 04:27 AM

So Pua'i, would Akamai Elemu work mo bettah? :o

Pikake
August 26th, 2005, 06:08 AM

Ho - I am definitely out of the Hawaiian loop of da happenings.

K-den! Shaka Brah!

pzarquon
August 26th, 2005, 07:30 AM
So Pua'i, would Akamai Elemu work mo bettah?In Hawaiian, the adjective follows rather than precedes, so it would probably be Elemu Akamai. But really, I'd read that as "smart butt" or "smart buttocks."

Is there a "donkey" element to the "ass" in "smart ass"? If so, you could say kekake akamai... Heh.

lurkah
August 26th, 2005, 08:03 AM
In Hawaiian, the adjective follows rather than precedes, so it would probably be Elemu Akamai. But really, I'd read that as "smart butt" or "smart buttocks."

Is there a "donkey" element to the "ass" in "smart ass"? If so, you could say kekake akamai... Heh.

Now it's getting too complicated for me. Think I'll stick with using my old catch-all favorite, babooze. :D Too bad, uncle, that name's already been taken.

Leo Lakio
August 26th, 2005, 08:04 AM
Eh, how da keiki who had da hotfeet wen dey wen go hula in Kalama? Da kane looked like his feet could handle da pavement, but da poor wahine...auwe! :(

Doing much better, mahalo - the one who suffered the most was up and dancing again at rehearsal a couple days ago, so everybody's better now.
(I gave them aloe plants to help with healing, too.)

The Longview paper had a great picture of them the next day, too.

Kamalani's is in my neighborhood, but I haven't been in during their limited hours yet; I think this is a project to keep their presence in the area while revovations are being made a few doors north - where they still plan to open another Gordito's this year.

Leo Lakio
August 26th, 2005, 08:06 AM
Now it's getting too complicated for me. Think I'll stick with using my old catch-all favorite, babooze. :D Too bad, uncle, that name's already been taken.

FWIW - I have requested a name change from the Admin; don't know if it'll be approved, but I hope so - don't want to make waves (well, at least not YET...)

Leo Lakio
August 26th, 2005, 10:57 AM
Howzit AO. So how long ago did you meet your kane?
Actually, I'm the kane - I met my wahine in Seattle a decade ago; she came over to study at UW and didn't go back (lucky for me!)

Glen Miyashiro
August 26th, 2005, 11:02 AM
Actually, I'm the kane - I met my wahine in Seattle a decade ago; she came over to study at UW and didn't go back (lucky for me!)Oh! OK. When you said "your sweetie" it sounded to me like something a wahine would say. Or maybe you were both kane. You can never tell. :p

Mokihana
August 27th, 2005, 08:04 AM

And I'm not from the Islands - I'm a convert who has been drawn in by the culture and people. My sweetie is from Kane`ohe, so we visit family almost every year. The people of the Hawaiian/Pacific Islands community in this area have opened their arms wide to welcome me in, and I feel so fortunate every day to be witness to the real meaning of "aloha spirit."

Eh Brah, good to meet u in Kalama. Shuah was one great concert Friday nite!

Leo Lakio
August 29th, 2005, 07:32 AM
Oh! OK. When you said "your sweetie" it sounded to me like something a wahine would say. Or maybe you were both kane. You can never tell. :p
True enuf. I thought maybe you assumed I was wahine because I mentioned that I dance hula - and there aren't enough kane doing that on the Mainland!

As for the "sweetie," she and I have been, *ahem*, "living in sin" (as some would put it) for a decade - we are functionally married (and WA isn't a common-law state), but have always struggled for appropriate terminogy.

BF & GF seem too "beginner-level" for our relationship, but we aren't legally husband & wife, either. Sometimes, I'll refer to her as my "innamorata" - but most of the time, "sweetie" is the term that comes out.

I've even reached the point where, if someone else refers to us by spousal terms, I don't bother correcting them, unless I know them well enough to bore them with a detailed correction. I guess that now includes all y'all here!

admin
August 29th, 2005, 07:45 AM
FWIW - I have requested a name change from the Admin; don't know if it'll be approved, but I hope so - don't want to make waves (well, at least not YET...)Was nice knowing you, "Akamai Okole." Poof! You're now "Leo Lakio." Glad to have you as part of the HawaiiThreads.com `ohana.

Leo Lakio
August 29th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Thanks, "admin," for the change and to others for the suggestions to do so.

Glen Miyashiro
August 29th, 2005, 11:54 AM
Was nice knowing you, "Akamai Okole." Poof! You're now "Leo Lakio." Glad to have you as part of the HawaiiThreads.com `ohana.I know Leo is "voice", but what's "Lakio"?

kimo55
August 29th, 2005, 12:20 PM
a degree, unit or ratio

see how they do it?
radio and ratio are both, lakio

Leo Lakio
August 29th, 2005, 12:22 PM
I know Leo is "voice", but what's "Lakio"?
Radio.

I've been in radio since 1976, full-time (including national productions) until 1995, when I took a break to produce albums; my latest part-time radio gig has been playing Hawaiian music on a couple Seattle-area stations.

Thought it would be less likely to offend than the AO name.

Leo Lakio
August 29th, 2005, 12:32 PM
see how they do it?
radio and ratio are both, lakio

Right you are - both based on modern adaptations of "loan" words - a common practice in many languages (Japanese is filled with lots of 'em, too.)

I knew about the "ratio" definition as well, but I went ahead with it for radio, based on the suggestion of a native speaker of Hawaiian `olelo.