'nadda ALOHA from Washington

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 'nadda ALOHA from Washington

I'm in Seattle, where the links to Hawai`i just keep getting stronger. The Island `ohana in this area is BIG! We have dozens of hula halau, several radio programs (and even a cable TV show) of Hawaiian music and cultural discussion, a monthly community newspaper, several great Hawaiian restaurants, and a few Island-themed gift shops. We've had a lot of Hawaiian musicians come through the area in recent years, too.

I'm involved in a lot of these activities myself - I play music and dance (a little) with one halau, I'm one of the radio/TV hosts, I write music reviews for the newspaper, and emcee some of the concerts. As part of my job, I program Hawaiian music for stores, malls, restaurants, airports, etc., in Hawai`i.

And I'm not from the Islands - I'm a convert who has been drawn in by the culture and people. My sweetie is from Kane`ohe, so we visit family almost every year. The people of the Hawaiian/Pacific Islands community in this area have opened their arms wide to welcome me in, and I feel so fortunate every day to be witness to the real meaning of "aloha spirit."

Re: 'nadda ALOHA from Washington

Howzit AO. So how long ago did you meet your kane?

Comment

Aloha and welcome to hawaiithreads.com

I'm Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

with aloha I have to tell you that your HT nick is blinding me. Akamai is smart, and okole is the rectal area, and while I think you wanted to be cute and good-naturedly call yourself a smart@ss, it doesn't read that way at all.

me ke aloha, Pua'i

pax

Comment

Hmm. So should it be "Okole Akamai" instead? I guess "Akamai Okole" means ass-smart.

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts - I'll change the nick soon (rather than just being an @$$ the whole time.)

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
              with aloha I have to tell you that your HT nick is blinding me. Akamai is smart, and okole is the rectal area, and while I think you wanted to be cute and good-naturedly call yourself a smart@ss, it doesn't read that way at all.
              It did to me, but what do I know? I thought it was kinda funny.

Best to call oneself a smartass before someone else does!

Comment

Originally posted by Akamai Okole
                I'm in Seattle, where the links to Hawai`i just keep getting stronger. The Island `ohana in this area is BIG! We have dozens of hula halau, several radio programs (and even a cable TV show) of Hawaiian music and cultural discussion, a monthly community newspaper, several great Hawaiian restaurants, and a few Island-themed gift shops. We've had a lot of Hawaiian musicians come through the area in recent years, too.

I'm involved in a lot of these activities myself - I play music and dance (a little) with one halau, I'm one of the radio/TV hosts, I write music reviews for the newspaper, and emcee some of the concerts. As part of my job, I program Hawaiian music for stores, malls, restaurants, airports, etc., in Hawai`i.
                Hoo bruddah! You wen give yourself away wit all dakine hints you wen give! I not as quick as bruddah Lurkah, but now I stay catch on. Eh, how da keiki who had da hotfeet wen dey wen go hula in Kalama? Da kane looked like his feet could handle da pavement, but da poor wahine...auwe!

Had one good time in Kalama last weekend. Eh, ask Uncle Danny if he knows about the new Hawaiian restaurant called Kamalani's on Queen Anne Hill. The wahine who owns Gordito's (Marlene) also owns Kamalani.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks for the thoughts - I'll change the nick soon (rather than just being an @$$ the whole time.)
                  How's about "Bruddah G"? Nobody kapu that name yet on HT.

Miulang
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Seattle keeps getting more and more interesting all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o

So Pua'i, would Akamai Elemu work mo bettah?

Comment

Ho - I am definitely out of the Hawaiian loop of da happenings.

K-den! Shaka Brah!

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                          So Pua'i, would Akamai Elemu work mo bettah?
                          In Hawaiian, the adjective follows rather than precedes, so it would probably be Elemu Akamai. But really, I'd read that as "smart butt" or "smart buttocks."

Is there a "donkey" element to the "ass" in "smart ass"? If so, you could say kekake akamai... Heh.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon

In Hawaiian, the adjective follows rather than precedes, so it would probably be Elemu Akamai. But really, I'd read that as "smart butt" or "smart buttocks."

Is there a "donkey" element to the "ass" in "smart ass"? If so, you could say kekake akamai... Heh.
                            Now it's getting too complicated for me. Think I'll stick with using my old catch-all favorite, babooze. Too bad, uncle, that name's already been taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                              Eh, how da keiki who had da hotfeet wen dey wen go hula in Kalama? Da kane looked like his feet could handle da pavement, but da poor wahine...auwe!
                              Doing much better, mahalo - the one who suffered the most was up and dancing again at rehearsal a couple days ago, so everybody's better now.
                              (I gave them aloe plants to help with healing, too.)

The Longview paper had a great picture of them the next day, too.

Kamalani's is in my neighborhood, but I haven't been in during their limited hours yet; I think this is a project to keep their presence in the area while revovations are being made a few doors north - where they still plan to open another Gordito's this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X