Car repair shops (leeward side)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Car repair shops (leeward side)

I have had virtually no trouble with my 1997 Geo, but suddenly I'm getting random non-starts. It happens after I drive somewhere (five miles or so). I get out, do my errand, come back, turn the key, and it won't start. The battery is fine, 'cause the thing cranks and cranks, but it doesn't start. After about 3-5 minutes of off-and-on trying it does, and then it's ok for another few days.

I think it's a starter, but I don't know where to go anymore, since I haven't had any auto repair problems in the past five years or so (other than window cranks getting out of alignment).

Little help here?
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Re: Car repair shops (leeward side)

Do you have alot of keys on your keychain?
    Got Absinthe?

Comment

Originally posted by Alarick
      Do you have alot of keys on your keychain?
      Four, but what's that got to do with anything?

Comment

lotta keys tends to, after a time, (with their weight) throw the ignition connection outta whack and thus, sometimes your problem.

Comment

After reflecting on Alarick's comment I thought of that, but I don't see how it could be in this instance. I have one house key, one ignition/trunk key, and two itsy-bitsy luggage keys that might weigh a gram apiece.

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
            I have had virtually no trouble with my 1997 Geo, but suddenly I'm getting random non-starts. It happens after I drive somewhere (five miles or so). I get out, do my errand, come back, turn the key, and it won't start. The battery is fine, 'cause the thing cranks and cranks, but it doesn't start. After about 3-5 minutes of off-and-on trying it does, and then it's ok for another few days.

I think it's a starter, but I don't know where to go anymore, since I haven't had any auto repair problems in the past five years or so (other than window cranks getting out of alignment).

Little help here?
            Hmmm if the starter "cranks and cranks" it's probably not your starter. Sounds like lack of fuel to the carb or FI or no spark at the plugs.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
              Hmmm if the starter "cranks and cranks" it's probably not your starter. Sounds like lack of fuel to the carb or FI or no spark at the plugs.
              "FI?" Oh, fuel injectors. Well, we're beyond my level of competence (which, with engines, was never higher than putting antifreeze/oil into the right reservoir anyway). Does anybody have a good honest mechanic?

Comment

Originally posted by Linkmeister
                "FI?" Oh, fuel injectors. Well, we're beyond my level of competence (which, with engines, was never higher than putting antifreeze/oil into the right reservoir anyway). Does anybody have a good honest mechanic?
                Get some carb or FI cleaner at Checkers or wherever. You dump it in your fuel tank. Pretty much a no brainer. If it helps some, get another for the next fill... if it doesn't call a mechanic perhaps. I like to do the easy troubleshooting (like checking the plugs too) before I kerplunk some clams for a mechanic.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne

Hmmm if the starter "cranks and cranks" it's probably not your starter.
                  I agree. You might try checking for a dirty fuel filter or maybe even water moisture in the fuel line that can accumulate over time from condensation in the fuel tank.

Comment

I'll try the cleaners and see what happens. It's too bad it's not a regular occurrence; it'd be so much easier to determine if the cure took!

Thanks, folks.

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                      I agree. You might try checking for a dirty fuel filter or maybe even water moisture in the fuel line that can accumulate over time from condensation in the fuel tank.
                      Yeah maybe check the filter first then do the cleaners. Easy replacement... if you can find it.

Comment

Working...
                      X