PDA

View Full Version : Leong's Closing Friday

glossyp
August 24th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Leong's will close on Friday August 26 at 7:30pm. I talked to the owner Debbie last week and she is sad to close but relieved as well as business has been suffering of late. She won't say whether or not she'll re-open in another location in the future. She said she's taking a month off and not going to think about it until after her holiday. Regardless, it's the end of another local institution.

kimo55
August 24th, 2005, 08:39 AM
My favorite is Ono's, kapahulu.
Saw the article today's Advertiser. Thought, where is leong's now?

i remember oh back in the day... when newspaper articles of this type started off with the requisite
who what when where how why
stuff. Now they begin like a personal blog with;
"I was a litte girl, my teacher, , blahblah, i ordered, blahblah...
have to scan paragraphs to get the details. Oh, I see here... Kalihi,
Where in kalihi?
oh middle of article; middle of the paper... king and owen st.
how bout a photo of the place?

Glen Miyashiro
August 24th, 2005, 08:40 AM
A lot of the older places have suffered due to their location, and Leong's is a good example. It's way the hell over at the far 'ewa end of North King Street. Go a little more 'ewa and you've fallen right off the far edge of Kalihi (get it? edge? kalihi? hehehe). As the city has grown, the area has become a fringe, and business from the local neighborhood isn't enough to support these establishments.

kimo55
August 24th, 2005, 08:45 AM
PLUS... da frikken seedy, county and state takes all our parking away from us. Damn harris for taking away so much parking in Waikiki. Damn the increasing appearance of no parking here to corner signage. damn the multiplying parking meters. and the 35 story towers sprouting up all over.

Glen Miyashiro
August 24th, 2005, 08:52 AM
Regardless, it's the end of another local institution.Yeah, but the new local institutions-of-the-future keep starting up, like the Poke Stop (http://starbulletin.com/2005/07/24/features/eater.html) in Waipahu. Mmm, ‘ono.

1stwahine
August 24th, 2005, 09:21 AM
I'm sad to report that No' Ka Oi Hawaiian Foods on Liliha Street has also closed. Called last week and phone was disconnected so I went there. Sign said thank you for letting us serve you all these years!

I want to say mahalo to Leongs and No Ka Oi for all the years in serving us! I guess we only have Helena's and Ono left on Oahu.

Auntie Lynn

kimo55
August 24th, 2005, 09:25 AM
No. we get Waihole poi factory too.

Glen Miyashiro
August 24th, 2005, 09:26 AM
What about Young's Fish Market? The laulau there is pretty good.

1stwahine
August 24th, 2005, 09:32 AM
Yeah, I forgot about Young's. However, I like home-made LAULAU'S! I really feel sad today for Debbie and gang. I wonder if her sister sold their resturant on Bethel Street called, "Sister's Resturant?" :(

Our State is an anti-bussiness one. Next year the tax increases too...per signing of Manic Mufi. Alway's gung ho in signing every piece of paper in front of him! AUWE! :mad:

lurkah
August 24th, 2005, 11:28 AM
I guess we only have Helena's and Ono left on Oahu.

Yeah, no can forget Young's Fishmarket too because that's my favorite place to eat laulau. And isn't People's Cafe by Pali Long's still there? And I seem to remember one small Hawaiian food restaurant on da makai side of Ala Moana Shopping Center...or is that gone too?

1stwahine
August 24th, 2005, 11:43 AM
You're right Lurkah!

Here's the list of Hawaiian Food Resturant on Oahu
If I'm missing any please add...mahalo!

Helena's on School Street

People's next to Pali/Kukui Streets

Ono on Kapahulu Ave.

Young's Fish Market in Kalihi
(by the old Gem's Kapalama)

The one in Ala Moana Food Court...wat's da name?)

Any place else?

LikaNui
August 24th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Any place else?
Still got Windward Poi Bowl on Kam Highway in Kaneohe!

lurkah
August 24th, 2005, 11:56 AM
The one in Ala Moana Food Court...wat's da name?)

Da one I stay tinking of wasn't in da Food Court. It was outside of dat area just about right next door to da McD's. Oh wait...I just found it on a list of Ala Moana Center tenants (http://www.generalgrowth.com/properties/mallTenantList.asp?smuid=491)...it's called da Ala Moana Poi Bowl.

1stwahine
August 24th, 2005, 12:02 PM
Thanks LikaNui and Lurkah! I'm going to pick-up my take out right now!

See you after lunch! ;)

Auntie Lynn

lurkah
August 24th, 2005, 12:40 PM
Thanks LikaNui and Lurkah! I'm going to pick-up my take out right now!

See you after lunch! ;)

I hope your lunch was as ono as my...granola bar. :(

Moto
August 24th, 2005, 12:54 PM
Don't forget Highway Inn in Waipahu. Their Hawaiian Food is Fantastic... if you're out that way.

1stwahine
August 24th, 2005, 01:21 PM
I was ono foa Na'au pua, lomi aku or ahi, poi and tripe from Leong's...traffic was bad on N. King Street, lunch time and I opted for Diners. Roast Turkey Day with Mashed Potato. I'm not full...still hungry for the NA'AU PUA! :confused:

Auntie Lynn

lurkah
August 24th, 2005, 02:00 PM
traffic was bad on N. King Street

I know that Leong's is on Owen St. towards da mauka-Ewa corner of da old Kalihi Shopping Center where Foodland is or was, and I think had one American Savings & Loan up in that corner too. I think I ate at Leong's only one time many years ago because parking there was such a hassle. Hopefully they'll open up again in a better location after they come back from vacation. We can never have too many Hawaiian kaukau places to eat!

1stwahine
August 24th, 2005, 02:15 PM
I guess it would be the starting of N. King Street and Owen Street. I usually park in the parking lot right next to the closed down Savings and Loan Building. The whole area looks like a ghost town! The C&C HandiVans parking and main office is there too. Across the street use to be a nightclub many years back. Then Yummy's Korean Foods which also folded. Maybe the whole area is in for a change of some sort...they got all the small businesses out to look that way! :mad:

Auntie Lynn

Glen Miyashiro
August 24th, 2005, 02:23 PM
I guess it would be the starting of N. King Street and Owen Street. I usually park in the parking lot right next to the closed down Savings and Loan Building. The whole area looks like a ghost town! The C&C HandiVans parking and main office is there too. Across the street use to be a nightclub many years back. Then Yummy's Korean Foods which also folded. Maybe the whole area is in for a change of some sort...they got all the small businesses out to look that way! :mad: Oh Aunty, you didn't know? New City Nissan is going to be moving out of their Ala Moana Boulevard location and they're going to set up at the Kalihi Shopping Center property. Not sure exactly when it's going to happen, but that's the plan.

glossyp
August 24th, 2005, 02:25 PM
Don't forget Highway Inn in Waipahu. Their Hawaiian Food is Fantastic... if you're out that way.

Second this one - open since 1947 and serving especially good lau lau. Here's our review done last month. Highway Inn (http://www.hawaiidiner.com/reviews/review.php?review=58)

lurkah
August 24th, 2005, 02:44 PM
Second this one - open since 1947 and serving especially good lau lau. Here's our review done last month. Highway Inn (http://www.hawaiidiner.com/reviews/review.php?review=58)

Wow, those dishes look so ono! I've heard about them before, but have never been there, and didn't know they also have a seafood market right next door. Gotta add this one to my list.

Palolo Joe
August 24th, 2005, 08:18 PM
Gotta also check out Elmer Guzman, formerly with Sam Choy's, who opened Poke Stop (http://starbulletin.com/columnist/column.php?id=10259&col_id=23) a little while back. I heard just about everything there is winnahs... if you're out that way.

And now I bothered to read all the way at the bottom of the page, and saw what Glen wrote. My bad.

There's also Yama's Fishmarket, on Young Street in Moiliili.

Oh, and here's the Star-Bulletin's (http://starbulletin.com/2005/08/24/features/index1.html) version, including lots of pictures.

1stwahine
August 24th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Oh Aunty, you didn't know? New City Nissan is going to be moving out of their Ala Moana Boulevard location and they're going to set up at the Kalihi Shopping Center property. Not sure exactly when it's going to happen, but that's the plan.

Hey Glen, if Palolo Joe didn't mention reading this...I wouldn't have known!!!! So across Diners there's a new car lot. A future one going be at the Kalihi Shopping Center property. With the gas prices going up the way it is...people not going buy cars pretty soon...they going buy scooters!

Das Sad! :mad:

Kalihiboy
August 24th, 2005, 09:11 PM
Hey I live in Kalihi, hence the name, I cant understand why you put up car lots all over the place, the one just opened across from Diners as mentioned as well as the new one coming at the Kalihi Shopping Center. I can see used car lots maybe, but who in Kalihi can afford a new car!?

Anyways its a construction nightmare all along King Street from Houghtailing I think until after the canal. All the sidewalks and bus stops are torn up, not sure why unless it has something to do with the compliance that all sidewalk corners must be fit for disable/handicaped people.

I like that they left the old Kalihi Bowling Pin up at the Kalihi Shopping Center, but I guess that will be torn down along with everything else. The old abandoned Kings Drive Inn is across the street as well.

Oh and I give a plug to Kalihi Diners because they are open 24 hours (breakfast too!!) and you now can sit inside the restaurant in air conditioning!!

Isnt there another Hawaiian food restaurant near Kalihi Shoping Center, west-end just before the freeway convergence bridge and such?

KalihiBoy

1stwahine
August 24th, 2005, 09:17 PM
Hey I live in Kalihi, hence the name, I cant understand why you put up car lots all over the place, the one just opened across from Diners as mentioned as well as the new one coming at the Kalihi Shopping Center. I can see used car lots maybe, but who in Kalihi can afford a new car!?

Anyways its a construction nightmare all along King Street from Houghtailing I think until after the canal. All the sidewalks and bus stops are torn up, not sure why unless it has something to do with the compliance that all sidewalk corners must be fit for disable/handicaped people.

I like that they left the old Kalihi Bowling Pin up at the Kalihi Shopping Center, but I guess that will be torn down along with everything else. The old abandoned Kings Drive Inn is across the street as well.

Oh and I give a plug to Kalihi Diners because they are open 24 hours (breakfast too!!) and you now can sit inside the restaurant in air conditioning!!

Isnt there another Hawaiian food restaurant near Kalihi Shoping Center, west-end just before the freeway convergence bridge and such?

KalihiBoy

That would be the topic we're talking about...Leong's! The traffic was terrible as I drove on N. King Street just past Hikina Lane till after Hawaiian Tel Credit Union. In front of Diners, construction going on too. Had their Roast Turkey (MWF).

Auntie Lynn

1stwahine
August 25th, 2005, 05:35 AM
Another Hawaiian Food Resturant

Taro Patch was located in the Aiea Shopping Center now located in 99 Ranch.

Auntie Lynn

Glen Miyashiro
August 25th, 2005, 09:23 AM
Hey I live in Kalihi, hence the name, I cant understand why you put up car lots all over the place, the one just opened across from Diners as mentioned as well as the new one coming at the Kalihi Shopping Center. I can see used car lots maybe, but who in Kalihi can afford a new car!?Judging from what I see on the road, lots of people. Just cuz they live Kalihi doesn't mean they no mo kālā. :p

Actually it's because HCDA wants the car lots out of Kaka‘ako... and they gotta go somewhere. Kalihi is still in town, and it's probably got the lowest lease rents.

Anyways its a construction nightmare all along King Street from Houghtailing I think until after the canal. All the sidewalks and bus stops are torn up, not sure why unless it has something to do with the compliance that all sidewalk corners must be fit for disable/handicaped people.Yeah, that's been going on for a while now -- we talked about it in this thread (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=5127). So they're finally getting around to doing Kalihi, huh?