Eddie Thompson, the cerebral palsy bike guy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eddie Thompson, the cerebral palsy bike guy

You probably didn't know his name, but you knew him by sight. That skinny guy with cerebral palsy on his three-wheeled bicycle, doggedly pedaling along Kalaniana‘ole Highway and lots of other roads about Honolulu at a pokey couple of miles an hour. I've been stuck behind him in traffic many times. He could be infuriatingly slow, but you hadda give him credit for the effort. Well, Eddie Thompson is leaving Hawai‘i.
    Last edited by Glen Miyashiro; August 26, 2005, 08:41 AM.

Re: Eddie Thompson, the cerebral palsy bike guy

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    You probably didn't know his name,

ya mean that guy pedaling around east oahu with a huge banner that said:
    "EDUARDIUS"
    on it?!
    Yea. we don't know his name.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      You probably didn't know his name, but you knew him by sight. That skinny guy with cerebral palsy on his three-wheeled bicycle, doggedly pedaling along Kalaniana‘ole Highway and lots of other roads about Honolulu at a pokey couple of miles an hour. I've been stuck behind him in traffic many times. He could be infuriatingly slow, but you hadda give him credit for the effort. Well, Eddie Thompson is leaving Hawai‘i.
      Heh. If you got infuriated driving behind Eddie at his pokey 3 mph, then you'd want to get out your shotgun if you ever drove behind me on my bike! (no, I don't ride on streets...I only ride on bike paths for now).

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

When I lived on the east end years ago I used to see him almost every day riding his trike on Kalanianaole Highway. I've got a tremendous amount of respect for what he was doing, and I didn't mind one iota the few times I had to slow down for a moment or two.
        What he's done is incredible. I think there was something in the past year or two where he went to the mainland and rode across the country, or some other long-distance ride to raise awareness of CP. Attaboy, Eddie!
        Sorry to hear about his new spinal problem, and I wish him the absolute best in his new home.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I used to see Eddie Thompson bicycling in traffic all ovah da place on his 3-wheel bike with da flourescent pink flags flying high above him on long whip antennas and infuriating people behind him because he used to hold back traffic and moved along really slow. But once you caught up with him and saw what da situation was that he was dealing with, you couldn't help but feel da absolute courage and guts dat buggah had for living his life, as a person afflicted with severe cerebral palsy, to da fullest.

Comment

Got a friend, Bruce, I hang with now and then, who is friends with Edouardious.
            One time Bruce got a call on his cell phone. I hear the voice talking on the other end. I thought "what th'...?!"

It was "arruggggoooghh rrrowwwerrrouuunnngh."
            and Bruce carries on a full conversation with him! He understands his "language" so well, he talks with him all the time on the cell phone.
            I then realized my problems don't amount to a hill o beans and again, was impressed with Eddie overcoming the odds as he does.
            Nuthin stops him!

Comment

I used to spot Eddie whenever I'd be on training rides out on that side of the island. Never had the opportunity to chat with him but always gave him a wave whenever I went by.

Had to admire his tenacity. And I can only hope to do some of the major rides he's done all over the Mainland!

Comment

Our dear Eduardious has died in Utah. Obits running tomorrow. Bless his cycling soul. I wonder what he'll be riding in heaven? Something with wings?

When I was going to UH, I rode my bike to and from the campus. I resented everyone who had a moped, but I must admit the bike ride was good for me. I'd pass Eduardious nearly daily on either King or Beretania streets. We'd each ring our bells to each other.

He blessed many of us, even those who had to slow down in their big ole cars so he could pass. Unfortunately, he'd been hit by less than patient types. Well, no worry about that any more!
                Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Aloha, Eddie.

Comment

RIP Eddie Thompson, the cerebral palsy bike guy

Originally posted by lavagal
                    Our dear Eduardious has died in Utah. Obits running tomorrow.
                    Yep. Your tomorrow is now today.
                    Here: http://starbulletin.com/2005/09/02/news/index7.html
                    and also here: http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/ap...0372/1187/NEWS
                    May you ride in peace, Eddie...

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Here's Eddie Thompson's obituary. RIP.

Comment

What an admirable guy...he called the shots on his life until the very end. He "went home" to die in Salt Lake City. Hope when the time comes I can be as clear about wanting to control how I die as he was .

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Man I used to see him daily from the early 80s right up until I left Honolulu for greener pastures here in Kea'au on the Big Island last year. On my drive home I would see him going up Monsarrat Avenue on his way to Hawaii Kai. He was and still is an inspiration to me. Just like that guy who passed away years ago(what was his name) that saluted to you every morning waving that American flag on corner of Kalakaua and Kapiolani.
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
                          X