Exhibition on Buddhist temples begins Sunday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Exhibition on Buddhist temples begins Sunday

The arrival of the Japanese immigrants had a profound effect on the 'aina. One of the most important aspects of early Japanese life was their Buddhist religion.

Beginning this Sunday at the East-West Center Gallery, there will be an exhibition showing examples of the Japanese Buddhist temples that were built in Hawai'i.

"...An exhibit showing the historical progression of these temples in Hawai'i — and its correlation to the social transformation of the Japanese-American community — opens Sunday at the East-West Center Gallery.

In about a 100-year span, more than 300 temples were built in various styles, with various materials. Only about 80 remain today. They are considered the oldest Japanese Buddhist temples in the United States...."

"...The architecture of these temples illustrates the changing lives of Japanese immigrants and how their culture endured and evolved over generations.

When Japanese immigrants arrived in Hawai'i in the late 19th century, they brought with them a strong religious base in Buddhism, evident in the sheer number of temples erected all over the Islands.

The design and construction of these temples changed over time, reflecting a shift in the economic, cultural, ideological and often political landscape in Hawai'i...."

Many of the older temples still standing are considered architectural treasures. As the population of Hawai'i continues to grow, more of these temples will fall to the wrecker's ball unless something is done to preserve and protect them.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; August 26, 2005, 06:16 PM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Exhibition on Buddhist temples begins Sunday

Discussion and gallery walk-through with Lorraine Minatoishi
    Palumbo
    --Sunday Aug. 28
    --East West Center Art Gallery, UH Manoa
    --2 to 2:30pm with reception to follow (2:30 to 3:30pm)
    --Opening celebration in honor of new exhibit: Japanese Temple
    Architecture in Hawai`i"
    --www.eastwestcenter.org

Comment

Working...
    X