Pray for the citizens of New Orleans

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pray for the citizens of New Orleans

The latest predictions have Hurricane Katrina intensifying into a Class 4 hurricane and hitting the New Orleans area sometime Monday. Right now, massive evacuations are being undertaken; all highways have been turned into northbound-only to allow people to leave. Since NO is below sea level, there's a great possibility that most of that beautiful town will be flooded. NO is one of my favorite cities to visit. There's just so much history in that area. Eating fresh beignets from the Cafe du Monde and getting the powdered sugar all over you while you sit on the banks of the Mississippi watching the riverboats go by is a wonderful experience. If Katrina does hit NO directly, it'll probably be years before the city is restored to its original beauty.

I'm grateful that up here in the PNW, we only have the occasional earthquake or minor volcanic eruption occurring. I can't imagine what it would be like to have to worry about your property and life every hurricane season. And the meterologists predict this will be a bad season.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Pray for the citizens of New Orleans

Thanks Miulang for this post. I'm unable to watch anything as you know MAMA is glued and obsessed with... I pray for all New Orleans and it's citizens. Yes, NO has a long history and I got to know about it more when my son, Conrad was station at Ft. Polk. He would venture to the Mardi Gras with friends to the celebrations two years in a row. The photo's I recieved were beautiful and fun to behold. He shared and spoke of what it was liked and I saw it from his perspective.

May God protect and calm Katrina so that she brings only minimal damage.
    Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
    Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I've always thought if there was one city on the mainland where locals from Hawai'i would feel at home, it would be New Orleans. The climate isn't too far off from what Hawai'i has, though the summers are brutal, (it's semi-tropical), occasional winter blasts from the Great Lakes come in during winter, but more importantly, the locals of New Orleans seem to possess that take the time to talk story, what's your rush, Mista, type attitude. It's a very laid back city with a diverse population that I believe a local from the islands could easily assimilate into. They even have their own version on shave ice. They call shave ice in NO "snowballs". The ice isn't quite a cottony as shave ice..it is a bit more granular, but not quite a granular as the "snow cones" most mainlanders are familiar with. There are corner snowball places throughout most NO neighboorhoods and they come in, just like Hawai'i, dozens, if not hundreds of flavors.

New Orleans is a lovely city...one of my favorite cities on the mainland. I will join both Miulang and 1stWahine in praying for the safety of the citizens of it.

Comment

Funny. I always thought that the most similar thing between New Orleans and Honolulu was the corrupt politics.

Comment

I forgot...our own member, Ailina, is down in harm's way, in Lafayette, LA, only 133 miles from the Big Easy. That is if she and her family haven't evacuated by now. Let's pray that she and her 'ohana get through this nightmare unscathed.

Comment

My lil brother is living there (he's a US Army soldier) and he's just informed me of how hectic it has been all day for them. Him and his unit are on standy by to help out the NG when that time comes. God Forbid. And, may God Bless him and the families out there.
            Go For Broke Alumnus - 1991 to 1999
            Supporting the U.S. Army Reserve in the Pacific Northwest.
            www.goarmy.com

Comment

Katrina and The Waves are hitting the Big Easy and " it don't feel good".They ain't "Walkin in Sunshine" today. May God bless them all.
              Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
              Flickr

Comment

Well, at least the levees didn't collapse. This time.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  Well, at least the levees didn't collapse. This time.
                  One levee was breached, in East Orleans (9th ward). What I saw on the TV in NO still wasn't very pretty...they're afraid because the Industrial Canal overflowed that there's going to be all kinds of contamination (chemicals and sewage) where the water is standing. Canal St. looked like a tsunami had hit it. But I'm glad the French Quarter didn't suffer as much damage as it could have it Katrina had hit NO directly. Looks like prayers to the city's patron saint spared NO from really bad damage.

Miulang
                  Last edited by Miulang; August 29, 2005, 11:01 AM.
                  "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                    Looks like prayers to the city's patron saint spared NO from really bad damage.
                    I heard that the ghost of Marie Leveau is the one who should get the credit.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                      I heard that the ghost of Marie Leveau is the one who should get the credit.
                      Marie Leveau and St. Expedite are 2 of the most widely revered religious icons in NO.

Miulang

Comment

Why is it when a tsunami hits,like the one in Asia, the World rallies to them for aid, and the U.S. gets slammed for not doing enough. Yet when it happens to us, like it did with this storm, no one comes to our aid? No Moviestars donate thier time to a national telethon or say they will donate 1 million dollars to help U.S. refugees. No school groups will collect money for Americans(well not as much as they did for Tsunami victims). These people are Americans That's Why! The World takes and takes from the U.S. , but when it comes time to return the favor most will turn the other cheek.
                        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                        Flickr

Comment

Brings to mind something my Mom asked me when I was working for a nongovernmental international development organization years ago. I was telling her about how we were raising money for people in Bangladesh, the Sahel and Brazil, and she said, "We have enough problems in this country. Why are you trying to help people in some far away countries?" Out of the mouths of Moms!

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            Brings to mind something my Mom asked me when I was working for a nongovernmental international development organization years ago. I was telling her about how we were raising money for people in Bangladesh, the Sahel and Brazil, and she said, "We have enough problems in this country. Why are you trying to help people in some far away countries?" Out of the mouths of Moms!

Miulang
                            Heard the same thing from both parents, grandparents and my business instructor. Then again, I have compassion - so here I am and I teach my own children to have that as well. What are we doing...reaching out to help those around the globe (and here in overweight America) that needs help despite of what my folks say. I think we have more than enough in our pockets to go around a few times.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
                              Why is it when a tsunami hits,like the one in Asia, the World rallies to them for aid, and the U.S. gets slammed for not doing enough. Yet when it happens to us, like it did with this storm, no one comes to our aid? No Moviestars donate thier time to a national telethon or say they will donate 1 million dollars to help U.S. refugees. No school groups will collect money for Americans(well not as much as they did for Tsunami victims). These people are Americans That's Why! The World takes and takes from the U.S. , but when it comes time to return the favor most will turn the other cheek.
                              Errr... because we're mostly rich and they're mostly not? And I would point out that when we have problems, other countries do help. If I recall there were several countries who sent rescue teams for the 9/11 World Trade Center recovery, for example.

Comment

Working...
                              X