PG-13 Just to make money

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PG-13 Just to make money

It seems to me movie studio nowdays want a PG-13 rating just to make money so that "everyone" can see thier movie. To me the director should stick to his guns and put out the "movie" he made. If the R rated movie is good people will see it. You can always see the proof that a film should have gotten an R rating when week after week a DVD is released with the box saying " Uncut and Unrated" version. You rent or buy these DVDs and the change is so "small" ,but it was made just so it would get a bigger audience at the theater. Like Chili Palmer say in "Be Cool" the difference between R and PG-13 is that you can only the F-word once in a PG-13. Like Chili I say F@%K it!

What do you think?
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Re: PG-13 Just to make money

Visual effects can also factor into the rating of a movie. Kids can still go to a R-rated movie if the parent(s) are with them.

When we went to The Cave on Saturday, there was a lady with a couple of little kids who sat next to us. It was the kids idea to watch the movie. However the kids got scared during the previews and left before the movie started.

Comment

Originally posted by helen
      Visual effects can also factor into the rating of a movie. Kids can still go to a R-rated movie if the parent(s) are with them.

When we went to The Cave on Saturday, there was a lady with a couple of little kids who sat next to us. It was the kids idea to watch the movie. However the kids got scared during the previews and left before the movie started.
      Just watch Helen.... when the DVD comes out, "see the uncut THE CAVE version" sell more videos.

Flickr

Comment

Ahhh, The Cave was rated-R. If any stuff was cut it might be due to time.

whoops, it's rated PG-13. Sorry about that. Could explain why the kids were there last week.
        Last edited by helen; September 3, 2005, 12:21 AM. Reason: Mistake on my part

Comment

no no no
          PG-13 is not essentially catered so that EVERYONE 13+ and up can see a movie its the TEENS with the $$$ that spends the most versus someone like me a guy in my age bracket.

Comment

Look at Live Free or Die Hard, It's the first in the series to be rated PG-13. The others were R mostly for language. Did hollywood clean up John McCain's vocabulary just for $$$'s?

Flickr

Comment

Personally I think that the ratings have just loosened through the years. I remember Gremlins coming out at PG-13 and then being changed to PG and MPAA changing its standards. I watch it now and it is suitable for my 6 yr old.
              People are far more tolerant with acceptable violence, language, etc...in 2007than 1980 even. It is just the turn of times. Natural flow. Good or bad.
              Since when is psycho a bad thing??
              Sharing withother survivors...
              www.supportandsurvive.org

Comment

On the other hand, before there was the 'middle' step of PG-13, a lot of stuff made it into PG films that would have today gotten an 'R.' Indeed, as my wife and I go through some older films ('older' being anything from 1950s noir to 1970s camp), I'm astonished with how much they apparently got away with.

As for going for a lower rating to get more butts in seats? Meh. That's business for you. Compromises like that are what get movies made, so the question you have to ask yourself is, "Are the compromises in artistry and intent so evil that it's better to have no movie at all?" I'd doubt it. Especially since most of the movies stuck in this area are hardly "Citizen Kane."

More importantly, theatrical releases are less and less relevant. Those directors cuts and "uncensored" releases? The ones that are closer to the original vision of a film? For more and more people, that's the only version they'll see. It's usually the only version we see these days, and we're hardly alone.

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear View Post
                  What do you think?
                  If the film director funded the production by himself without the financial backing of a major film studio, then he shouldn't care what the MPAA would rate his film. Nor should he care if he profit or break even from all the hard work that go into his film.

After all, there is nothing more fulfilling than to be emotionally rich than financially rich.
                  Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Um, what? Someone who self-finances a movie he or she really believes in should not care if he profits or breaks even? That being "emotionally rich" should be enough?

Don't filmmakers have to eat?

Lots of indie filmmakers put themselves into considerable debt to make their dreams become a reality. There's an ever growing list of folks who finance movies with a stack of credit cards ("Four Eyed Monsters" being the latest I've come across). I suppose many of them do feel a sense of personal accomplishment in getting the thing done. But I'd also suspect a majority of them would, if even secretly, kinda like for their movie to catch on, make money, and propel their career forward.

Again, though... the kind of movies we're talking about here, with a 'R' cut being tweaked to slip under PG-13... are rarely the kind of films you're talking about. It's a mass market, commercial decision. And one that doesn't bug me, because I'll usually end up getting the DVD (if I see it at all)!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                      Um, what?
                      Some people don't put smilies/winks at the end of their posts when they're being sarcastic.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon View Post
                        Um, what? Someone who self-finances a movie he or she really believes in should not care if he profits or breaks even? That being "emotionally rich" should be enough?

Don't filmmakers have to eat?
                        There's always Ramen noodles.

Personally, you don't have to be too graphic or too vulgar to put out a good piece of entertaining film, unless you want to shock us, like Spielberg did with Schindler's List and Saving Private Ryan.

But then there are films that take gratuitous to a new level, like they can never have enough bouncing boobs in their film reels, or that every sentence in the dialogue has to have an "F" word. Even worse, when the director himself think that having only 20 "F" words doesn't make it an R-rated film.

If you can make a good piece of film that is not over the top in vulgarity, then be glad to have a PG-13 rating (unless you're shooting for PG or G).
                        Last edited by Random; June 27, 2007, 10:07 PM.
                        Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Working...
                        X