More Hawai'i kids in private school

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Hawai'i kids in private school

Granted, some of the increase can be attributed to the growth of Hawai'i's population, but I suspect many parents would rather make financial sacrifices to get their kids into private school rather than into public school because their perception is that private schools offer better educations and preparation for their kids to get into college.

I think the DOE has a serious PR problem, and maybe it's time for them to do some serious soul searching about what it is they're trying to accomplish.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: More Hawai'i kids in private school

Originally posted by Miulang
    Granted, some of the increase can be attributed to the growth of Hawai'i's population, but I suspect many parents would rather make financial sacrifices to get their kids into private school rather than into public school because their perception is that private schools offer better educations and preparation for their kids to get into college.

I think the DOE has a serious PR problem, and maybe it's time for them to do some serious soul searching about what it is they're trying to accomplish.

Miulang
    The "problem" with the DOE is micromanagement. No wonder the ones running the DOE have no faith in "our" public school system. They make the policies... but would never dare send thier own children to the schools. Maybe if forced to make policies for thier children, they would make sure "no child" gets behind.
    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by alohabear
      The "problem" with the DOE is micromanagement.
      I concur, but that's not all. As a private school graduate and public school teacher, I see the problem firsthand. The DOE is definitely top heavy and this creates a problem for line teachers who have to cut through miles of red tape and political agendas to get a box of pencils.

I know of one school that spent 30,000 dollars renovating the front office while denying a group of teachers the funds to take their kids on a series of field trips to Pearl Harbor and the State Capitol. Priorities, anyone?
      Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

Ernest Hemingway

Comment

Originally posted by KS'87
        I concur, but that's not all. As a private school graduate and public school teacher, I see the problem firsthand. The DOE is definitely top heavy and this creates a problem for line teachers who have to cut through miles of red tape and political agendas to get a box of pencils.
        Nice to hear from somebody who's got direct experience. E komo mai, KS. (Does that stand for Kamehameha Schools, by the way?)

Comment

Working...
        X