Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Verizon DSL people got a service outage recently?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any Verizon DSL people got a service outage recently?

My internet connection just crapped out on me a few minutes ago (started at around 8:20 and lasted a few minutes [at which time I went into a withdrawal]). I tried to relese and renew the IP address via the router (a Verizon BEFSR41 V3, which we bought seperately from the package) but it didn't do anything until a few minutes later.

I have the same IP address as before, so I think its on my side, but I just want to know if any local people had that problem.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Any Verizon DSL people got a service outage recently?

I had one this morning for a little while, but I shut everything off and came back five minutes later. Restarted and all's been fine since.
    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

My DSL gets wonky every other week or so, or at least I think it does, but cycling the power on my router seems to fix it, so maybe it's my setup.

I don't have half the problems with reliability on DSL that I did on Oceanic. I'm guessing with both, though, that your specific situation (i.e. neighborhood, area infrastructure, etc.) has more to do with reliability than the specific technology.

Comment

I'm getting DSL through LavaNet which goes through Verizon. Working fine tonight.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
          My internet connection just crapped out on me a few minutes ago (started at around 8:20 and lasted a few minutes [at which time I went into a withdrawal]). I tried to relese and renew the IP address via the router (a Verizon BEFSR41 V3, which we bought seperately from the package) but it didn't do anything until a few minutes later.

I have the same IP address as before, so I think its on my side, but I just want to know if any local people had that problem.
          We have DSL through Verizon and it goes out about, oh, once a week or so. Usually I can unplug the DSL modem for a couple of minutes and it works again when I plug it back in. For what we pay for this service, it should never go out. It really pisses me off if I have a bunch of windows open doing things and my internet is just cut off.

We also have another bill that is connected to this DSL. I do not understand this, but was told it is necessary for the DSL to work. It is through a place called Bizwind/Kimchee....and should be named Deep Kimchee. If I call them about a problem they tell me to call Verizon or they also have told me that my computer has a virus, which was not true, because I always check it right before I make the phone call. If I call Verizon, it is always over an hour on the phone, waiting on hold...then some person comes on and tells me that nothing is wrong on thier end and to call Bizwind. It is just a game over and over. It has not happened recently and the last time it did happen, after I spent hours on the phone with both places..... I had my man call them and since then there has been no bad problems, heh heh heh. I think it pays to be local and give them hell in pidgin. He did NOT put up with the run around and the problem was fixed in 15 minutes flat.

*end of rant* Thanks for reading this.

TurquoiseDuck

PS...(edit to above post) it just happened again.......five minutes after I made this post it cut me off. About 8:45 AM. I unplugged the thing and plugged it back in couple minutes later and it is ok, at least right now.
          Last edited by TurquoiseDuck; August 31, 2005, 08:57 AM.

Comment

For those of you whose service is cutting out, what modem and/or router do you have?

I have the default Verizon Modem they give out, but I brought our router from CompUSA (Linksys BEFSR41 V3) (although in my first OP, is said Verizon BEFSR41 V3)
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Guess I've been very lucky. The only problems that I've encountered have been that sometimes Hawai'iThreads won't connect the first couple of tries. It has always gotten here eventually though. My modem is the one Verizon sent- Westell Model 327W.
              Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I haven't had any problems so far. If there were any, then I likely just wasn't on the computer when it happened, although I'm on pretty often. I don't even know anything about my router. I just know I have the modem they sent.
                myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I've noticed that it's been going out once or twice a week lately for me. I go through lavanet as well. Usually goes out at around 9 or 10 at night for 30 mins to an hour. Often when I have some vital piece of work that needs to be FTPd somewhere. The beer and cigarette consumption skyrockets during these periods as I envision people going on a freakout wondering where their files are.

Comment

No problems on the BI with DSL

My farm - Kona Mist Coffee

Comment

For those of you whose service is cutting out, what modem and/or router do you have?

I have the default Verizon Modem they give out, but I brought our router from CompUSA (Linksys BEFSR41 V3) (although in my first OP, is said Verizon BEFSR41 V3)
                      Here to show you how computer illiterate I am.

There is a grey box here with three green lights on it. It says Fujitsu Speedport DSL by Orckit. We got this in the mail, have no idea who sent it. Have had it for, about five years I think.

What is a router ? I know you are not talking about the router thing in the closet with the rest of my man's tools.

I would advise any one who thinks they can improve my computer skills to spare them selves the grief. It took two people on the internet over an hour to teach me how to open more than one window. I will not admit how long it took to teach me how to copy and paste. I bought the book, "Computers for Dummies" and had no idea what any of it meant. I finally threw it in the trash. I still call the monitor the tv screen thing. Heh heh heh.

That's why I am....Da Duck

Comment

Originally posted by TurquoiseDuck
                        There is a grey box here with three green lights on it. It says Fujitsu Speedport DSL by Orckit. We got this in the mail, have no idea who sent it. Have had it for, about five years I think.

What is a router ? I know you are not talking about the router thing in the closet with the rest of my man's tools.
                        That grey box is your DSL modem. It's what connects your computer with the Internet.

A router would be another box, more or less the same shape, also plugged into your cables. Routers route data. If you've got more than one computer hooked up to your Internet connection, then you probably have a router somewhere in there. If you've only got one computer, then you probably don't.

Comment

Oh, so that's what it was. My mom was complaining that she couldn't get her e-mail (mail server timed out), but it wouldn't work until she rebooted. This stuff always happens when I'm at work... :P
                          http://www.pineapplejuice.net/freshly-squeezed

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                            That grey box is your DSL modem. It's what connects your computer with the Internet.

A router would be another box, more or less the same shape, also plugged into your cables. Routers route data. If you've got more than one computer hooked up to your Internet connection, then you probably have a router somewhere in there. If you've only got one computer, then you probably don't.

Thank you. We only have one computer. We have lots of cords and connections. I do not disturb any of them, they are all dusty and dirty, *LOL* I tend to leave things alone that I do not understand. The only thing I mess with is the power cord going to the DSL modem. When I get kicked off the internet, I unplug it and plug it back in.

Da Duck

Comment

Working...
                            X