Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advantageous to look native?

Aloha everyone~~

I am moving to Oahu this Sunday and will be staying with friends in Kaaawa. They are helping me with job leads and such, however I am curious what y'all think of the advantages of looking 'native' when trying to fit in on the islands. Both times I have visited Oahu I was often mistaken for a resident (I am Asian & Native American). I am hoping my appearance will help me get a job, or at least encourage residents to give me more of a chance than they would a typical 'haole.' FYI, I am female, late twenties, from Calif. Any thoughts/advice/comments would be cheerfully appreciated! Mahalo

Re: Advantageous to look native?

http://www.anytimecostumes.com/Merch...Category_Code=

Comment

Originally posted by iHeartHawaii
      I am moving to Oahu this Sunday and will be staying with friends in Kaaawa. They are helping me with job leads and such, however I am curious what y'all think of the advantages of looking 'native' when trying to fit in on the islands. Both times I have visited Oahu I was often mistaken for a resident (I am Asian & Native American). I am hoping my appearance will help me get a job, or at least encourage residents to give me more of a chance than they would a typical 'haole.' FYI, I am female, late twenties, from Calif. Any thoughts/advice/comments would be cheerfully appreciated! Mahalo
      Welcome to the islands!

On the one hand, you will be able to visually blend into the crowd. Are you from a heavily-white area? If so, you may need a while to get used to this. Hey, I don't stick out like a black-haired, brown-skinned sore thumb any more! Feels nice, doesn't it?

On the other hand, I doubt it'll give you much of a leg up on getting a job. Folks in Hawai‘i are used to diversity and your prospective employers probably won't pay a lot of attention to your looks. Unless you're drop-dead gorgeous, but that's another thing entirely.

Comment

If by "native" you mean dressing in a grass skirt or a sarong, then the answer is no. When you get to Oahu, and if your friends are working, ask them what they wear to work. If they are professionals and you're looking for a professional type job, they can tell you what kind of clothes to wear. You'd probably die from heat exhaustion if you dressed "professionally" like they do on the Mainland.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

ROTFLMFAO! Kimo, I don't really know you, but I think I love you. hahaha

To answer the other question. It depends on whose hiring. But that can be true no matter where you live. People like hiring people who will fit in. I'm sure sometimes its an advantage to look "native" (LOL!) and other times its better to look like a new arrival from the mainland. (<-- Kimo, that's for you.)

Although I do have to say in my upbringing in the islands, it would have been a lot easier on me if I had looked local. But who wants easy anyway?
          Haolewaiian Girl
          >~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~<

Comment

Originally posted by iHeartHawaii
            Aloha everyone~~

So what do you want to come here and do? Wait tables? Deliver papers? Be a lifeguard? Work at 7-11? Commute to Honolulu an hour, hour and a half every day to be an administrative assistant? Open your own business? Sell Indonesia batiks from a roadside stand? Clean fish? Sell insurance or cars?
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
              Unless you're drop-dead gorgeous, but that's another thing entirely.
              Then you just gotta get a job in sales... radio, liquor, etc. Wherever the sukebe old men are the ones making purchasing decisions.

Another thing to keep in mind... you might look as local as someone who's been here for life, but that all changes once you open your mouth.

If you sound like a hick, it'll stand out. If you run your mouth like an arrogant mainland haole with no respect for the local people and culture, it'll stand out.

Hawaii is home to many different types of people. If you have the right attitude going in, you should do just fine.

Good luck!

Comment

LMAO that was very good!

Comment

Originally posted by HaolewaiianGirl
                  other times its better to look like a new arrival from the mainland. (<-- Kimo, that's for you.)
                  yyuuuuummm!

Comment

To answer the other question. It depends on whose hiring. But that can be true no matter where you live. People like hiring people who will fit in. I'm sure sometimes its an advantage to look "native" (LOL!) and other times its better to look like a new arrival from the mainland. (<-- Kimo, that's for you.)

Although I do have to say in my upbringing in the islands, it would have been a lot easier on me if I had looked local. But who wants easy anyway?
                    HEY!! What the **** thats my Mom!!

Comment

well, ya must be really young cuz she didn't seem old the other nite.

Comment

well they say
                        to know me is to love me.
                        now,
                        to not know me is to love me, too.
                        mush mahalos!

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                          well, ya must be really young cuz she didn't seem old the other nite.
                          well theres no accounting for moms taste in men....

Comment

well what da hell did she know?
                            I put a bag over her head.

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                              well what da hell did she know?
                              I put a bag over her head.
                              so when you can't think of anything smart or funny to say you just get mean? Just an observation

Comment

Working...
                              X