Lower Calorie Local Food

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower Calorie Local Food

Ok, hawaiian and local food are my favorite foods in the world (Japanese food comes close second for me), but its not known for being low cal.

Crash dieting is bad, so I'm working on lifestyle changes. I have figured out a couple things:

Poke(ahi, tako, any kine)
    Very low cal. About 170 calories per cup.

Poi
    Pretty filling if you ask me. About 270 calories per cup.
    Can double as a dessert and with no extra calories if sweetened with splenda.

Kim Chee
    REALLY low calorie. 40 calories per cup!

Lomi Lomi Salmon
    Again, really low cal. 80 calories per cup!

SPAM MUSUBI
    IF and only IF you make it with turkey spam its almost 100 calories less!! (79 to be exact.) That helps a lot! ...especially if you eat as many as I do...

Kalua Pig
    LOST CAUSE. hehehe If you can show me a low cal kalua pig, I'll make you rich.

Anyone have any other tricks or tips?
    Haolewaiian Girl
    >~~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~<

Re: Lower Calorie Local Food

Oh, I got one more too. Not quite local food related, but its good to know. Chinese teas like green tea and oolong tea speeds up the metabolism, has caffine and all that, but also has an appetite suppressant. And all naturally.
    Haolewaiian Girl

Comment

Try Shintani's Wai‘anae or Moloka‘i diets. Very Hawaiian, and also very healthy.

Comment

"Focus on whole food, that is, whole brown rice, potatoes, taro, poi -- which is pretty much a whole food; it's just smashed up but all the nutrients are there. When you do that, you've got all the elements to keep you healthy, things like fiber, bulk, antioxidants, vitamins and minerals. I mean, nature is very wonderful -- the way nature packages it all," said Shintani.

That's what my husband keeps saying too. But the whole food thing is hawaiian food, which is good. Lots of fish and sea food. Can't go wrong there. Local food is another matter altogether with breaded this and teriyaki that.
        Haolewaiian Girl

Comment

Originally posted by HaolewaiianGirl
          Kalua Pig
          LOST CAUSE. hehehe If you can show me a low cal kalua pig, I'll make you rich.

Anyone have any other tricks or tips?
          Have you ever tried kalua turkey (gotta make 'em yourself, but cheaper den the pork). If you use thighs, going taste exactly like kalua pig, without all the grease! (OK, so how much you going pay me??? )

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Raw food. Totally raw. This includes any and all vegetables, fruits and raw nuts. Guaranteed you will lose weight if you eat raw food. Raw food contains all the nutrients that the human body needs. Raw fish ? YES !!! Juicing these raw veggies and fruits is excellent.

Nothing processed at all.....nothing cooked above 117 degrees. No boxed or canned food at all and no rice ! Oh, please don't attack me *LOL*

Water, water and more water. Not tap water because it contains chlorine. Filtered tap water is good. The body needs half it's weight in ounces of water every day. 150# person needs 75 ounces of water daily.

Turquoise Duck

Comment

Originally posted by TurquoiseDuck
              Raw food. Totally raw. This includes any and all vegetables, fruits and raw nuts. Guaranteed you will lose weight if you eat raw food. Raw food contains all the nutrients that the human body need. Raw fish ? YES !!! Juicing these raw veggies and fruits is excellent.
              Juicing that raw fish is excellent too. I think.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                Have you ever tried kalua turkey (gotta make 'em yourself, but cheaper den the pork). If you use thighs, going taste exactly like kalua pig, without all the grease! (OK, so how much you going pay me??? )

Miulang
                Nope, its pig or no $$. hehehe Yeah, I've tried it. It was pretty good! I didn't know it was just thighs. Maybe I'll make some this week. I got leftover ti leaf from last time I made kalua pig (oven style). Good point though. That would be much lower calorie.
                Haolewaiian Girl

Comment

Raw food. Totally raw.
                  I read somewhere that its really hard for the body to go all raw right away. That you had to do it gradually or something?
                  Haolewaiian Girl

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro

Bass-O-Matic!

Comment

Raw food. Totally raw. This includes any and all vegetables, fruits and raw nuts. Guaranteed you will lose weight if you eat raw food.
                      Isn't that kind of like saying, "Guaranteed you will lose weight if you eat roof shingles"?

Comment

I think you gotta do it gradually over time...otherwise, it'll be like a rotorooter thingie going down your intestinal tract...whoosh!

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

And that is how you would lose your weight...
                          Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                            Isn't that kind of like saying, "Guaranteed you will lose weight if you eat roof shingles"?
                            I will call this comtempt prior to investigation. I can see that you have it in for me by reading the last two things to you posted to me. What is the deal here ? Can we resolve this ? I have no idea why you have singled me out to attack. Do you have a reason ?
                            Originally posted by HaolewaiianGirl
                            I read somewhere that its really hard for the body to go all raw right away. That you had to do it gradually or something?
                            Yes this is to be done gradually. Small steps at a time. Thanks for your response.
                            Originally posted by Miulang
                            I think you gotta do it gradually over time...otherwise, it'll be like a rotorooter thingie going down your intestinal tract...whoosh!
                            Yes that is correct. The transistion to eating only raw food can be a slow one, happening over the course of a few months. Thanks for your response.
                            Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                            No, no, I did not mean to juice raw fish. Eat the raw fish but juice the veggies and fruit. Sorry for the confusion.

Da Duck

Comment

DO NOT DIET! Diet=unhealthy muscle loss and malnutrition.Learn a life long healthy way of eating,it's hard because we have been exposed to millions of adds saying crappy toxic food is wonderfull to eat and the chemicals in them tell our brain the same thing P.S. the tabbacco industrie is not the only one using additives to increase addiction.
                              What most people aggree on that make true health a study is;Whole foods,as many raw foods that you can handle because of the live enzimes and vitamines not breaking down,avoid diet food (huge scam),avoid artificial ingreedients and additives(the 1000's of chemicals are unhealthy and are only used to increase proffits they are not made for our health)F.Y.I. they can now list 1000's of chemicals under the term "spices" and "natural ingredients" including M.S.G.Daily walking 1 hour per day for overall health and proper organ function
                              The book "South Beach Diet" tought me alot abot the role of fiber slowing digestion and how insaline response effects wieght/health only real problem I had was the encouragment of low fat foods(fat is very important in our diet) and artificial sweetners (nasty stuff and a scam)But I recomend it as a good read with alot of great info
                              hope that helps and just my .02 I "Know" nothing!
                              Last edited by Fondoo2; September 2, 2005, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X