Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rental market advice?

Hi again-- are you tired of me yet?

So far you've all given some great advice, and Kimo your description of the 'wild west' were hilarious. Definitely made me rethink the Ewa area (not to mention the commute).

So, here's another question for you guys: I've heard the rental market is really tough right now, and I'm wondering what advice you can give me to ease the situation for myself. I have a few things going for me, like solid credit, good references, and I'm bringing a fairly hefty amount of savings over. However, I wasn't able to secure a job beforehand, and though I have a friend on the island who's going to introduce me to people who have job leads (she herself is retired but active in the community), I'm a little nervous I won't get one right away. On the mainland I wouldn't be worried about getting a job as it's never been a problem in the past. But I don't know how difficult it'll be to get one over there, or how long it will take. Do you think anyone will rent a place if I don't have a steady source of income yet?

Note: I'm looking for share rentals in Honolulu, not my own place.

Comments? Ideas?

Thanks again!

Re: Rental market advice?

The rental market is more than tight at this time, it is horrible. I have been looking and looking. Some times many as 50 people apply for each place listed. To rent here you have to pass a credit check, provide current landlord's name and phone number. You have to show them proof of income, that being two current pay stubs. On the rental application you have to put personal references...with as many people that apply, I highly doubt they would bother calling mainland people if they are used for references. Some landlords or rental agents even do back ground checks. You have to agree to this or they will not process your application. One rental agent's web site actually says that they will "select the most qualified applicant." The places up for rent are available immediately. You have to give them first month's rent and a deposit equal to (but no more than one month's rent, that is the law).....If you find a place you want and the rent is a thousand, that's two thousand you have to come up with to move in...then you have to get utilities, phone and cable tv turned on. I have seen maybe three that are to be open in the future, like a couple months away. Of course, these places are probably already applied for by a few hundred people. So, needless to say they are making plenty of money taking all these applications, for which they charge a fee, of course. We paid ten bucks at one place only to be turned down...they said that our application is denied because of credit. I wonder what they did with the money the collected from all the other people that they collected from for just that one apartment ? I know it sounds petty for me to whine about the ten bucks they charged to process this application, however, if fifty people applied that is a lot of ten bucks.

By the time you get to view the place,for which you have to make an appointment and most places do this only monday through friday, 9-5 PM...(do they realize that people are at work during these hours ??) ...... it has already been viewed by other people, probably half of which did apply to rent. Oh, and the parking issue also. If you want to live in town any where and the place you rent does not have parking, plan to pay another hundred a month to park some where, and hope there is parking available close and that it IS secure. Need I say more?

*end of rant, at least for now*

Da Duck

Comment

Does this also apply to room rentals (meaning, if I'm renting a room in someone's house or apartment)? Or is this just to get your own place? I'm hoping it will not be quite as difficult since I'll be only one of the tenants, not the sole tenant.

Comment

Originally posted by iHeartHawaii
        Does this also apply to room rentals (meaning, if I'm renting a room in someone's house or apartment)? Or is this just to get your own place? I'm hoping it will not be quite as difficult since I'll be only one of the tenants, not the sole tenant.

I guess that would depend on what the other room mate(s) want to do. You could try checking out craigs list for possibilites on room mate deals. I had rented a room like this (not from craiglist, by word of mouth) when I was alone and came here. I paid through the nose for a bed room in a five bedroom house. Come to find out, MY rent alone was paying almost half the rent and then when the utility bills came they socked me for that too. Needless to say, use caution. It was NOT local people that did this to me, by the way. I did not know the phrase ******* Haole then, but it sure applied ! *LOL* I stayed two months and found another place to live... the house broke up at that time. We all moved out and they kept all my deposit ...oh well. I chalked it up to lessons learned. I beat up the lease holder on the beach when he refused to return my deposit and I liked doing it. One of the other room mates beat him up before I did. Ha !! Hope you are reading this one 1stwahine !! Ya know come to think of this....that joker is listed in the phone book today...maybe I should have my man go collect my deposit on that room ! OMG I am off and running today ! I better go get started on doing some thing constructive....or maybe destructive....heh heh heh

http://honolulu.craiglist.org/

Good luck

Da Duck

Comment

Ooh, you and your man are so tough! I am so impressed! I cannot wait to hear more tales of how tough your man is and how many people you beat up!
          <panting with anticipation>

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
            Ooh, you and your man are so tough! I am so impressed! I cannot wait to hear more tales of how tough your man is and how many people you beat up!
            <panting with anticipation>

Not claiming to be tough at all. Was just trying to collect money that was due me. Was a long time ago when that happened....1989 to be exact. My memory was jogged when I read the post about some one looking for a room mate situation.

I do not beat up any one. Neither does my man. I am assuming that your post was written with a sarcastic flavor ? I am not here to try and offend people and hope that you are not either.

Da Duck

Comment

Ask friends or family here. I'm sure someone knows someone who has space to rent or if your're lucky, a house.
              How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Working...
              X