Are we ready for our next hurricane?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Are we ready for our next hurricane?

I've pretty much gone numb from the news on the drowning of New Orleans. The point that has driven home into my brain, though, is that it's not the hurricane itself that's the worst part. It's the aftermath, especially if you're not ready for it. (Insert rant on the ongoing clusterf--- in New Orleans.)

What's going to happen the next time Hawai‘i gets hit by a major hurricane? Hurricane Iniki in 1992 was a Category 4 hurricane, and it plowed into Kaua‘i head-on. Kaua‘i didn't recover for more than a year after it hit. Honolulu has never in living memory been hit head-on by a hurricane; the storms always have seemed to swerve to avoid O‘ahu and then hung a right to whack Kaua‘i instead, like a lazy bowling ball with a lot of english on it. Maybe it's some kind of meterological phenomenon having to do with the high mountains sticking up out of the sea, or maybe it's just random chance. I wouldn't count on it happening every time, though.

When -- not if -- Honolulu gets whacked, it will be a mess. Relief will be on the way by plane, but planes can carry only so much. If the power plants (all on coastlines near the storm surge, mind you) are damaged, we may be without power for weeks or months. If the Honolulu International Airport is damaged (again, on the coastline -- especially the Reef Runway) then air support will slow to a trickle as planes have to squeeze onto other, lesser airstrips. The same goes for Honolulu Harbor.

Is your household ready? Do you have an emergency kit packed? Do you have communication plans set up so that if your family is separated -- at school, work, wherever -- you'll be able to get back in touch? This year's hurricane season isn't over yet; Iniki was in September 1992 and Iwa before that was in November 1982. Now would be a good time to get ready.

Re: Are we ready for our next hurricane?

For conversation fodder, feel free to browse similar earlier threads:
    A good question to ask periodically. What are the things we'd be saying we "never imagined" in the aftermath of our next major storm strike?

Comment

You State disaster experts swear that they'll be ready if disaster strikes in Hawai'i. I still think it would be a good idea for each person to have a personal emergency plan, including a survival kit, ready in case help can't get to you immediately.

"Officials in Hawaii said they've learned from disasters in the state about how to coordinate county, (comma) state and federal agencies and to plan for unlikely scenarios. They also look at improvements in equipment such as the radio system that links fire, police, paramedics and state and federal agencies. The new system still works radio-to-radio if relay towers are knocked out.

"Even if we lose everything, get down to the basic level. The first responders can at least speak to each other to move through their operations," said Cortney Chambers, of Emergency Medical Services.

EMS has also picked up a piece of important equipment: a multiuse trailer that can be taken to an isolated area and then used for anything from an emergency room to a command center.

The trailer has satellite communications capability and a shiny new tractor to pull it. ..."

I like that "shiny new tractor" part...

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Here's a generic go bag list.

http://www.sff.net/people/doylemacdonald/emerg_kit.htm

Modify accordingly to suit Hawai'i needs.
        http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

For the flashlights and radios, if you can find the hand crank ones you won't ever have to worry about dead batteries. Check with your local Red Cross branch. They carry disaster supplies like the hand powered radios, and first aid kits (for people and pets).

Miulang
          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Mahalo! I've been worried sick since Katrina hit. We have monthly meetings for a Family reunion that is planned for July 2006. Meetings are held every first Sunday, what a great opportunity to share the above information with my family. MAMA and I would probably be safe in our concrete unit but if not I'll go to the Lanakila Shelter. I shudder to think of what can happen and pray it doesn't. As far as food, supplies, medicines, etc., we are READY!

Auntie Lynn and MAMA
            Downtown, Honolulu

PS. I'm still SCARED!
            Last edited by 1stwahine; September 2, 2005, 05:34 PM.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
              I still think it would be a good idea for each person to have a personal emergency plan, including a survival kit, ready in case help can't get to you immediately.
              Besides telling the public they're ready to handle a hurricane situation, government officials have always urged residents to do just that - have a personal emergency plan and survival kit.

Same stuff they say every hurricane season.

Comment

For myself, if something bad happenned now I guess I am screwed. If had ample warning, let's say 4 to 6 hours warning, then I can prepare for it. The one thing good about hurricanes is that we have at least day and half warning at the worst case or maybe up to 4 days advanced warning and if it misses fine, the food and water could be used later on.

Comment

The main reason for getting all your emergency stuff ready before a hurricane or tsunami is if you wait until the alert is sounded (even if they give you 6 hours' notice), you're going to be competing with thousands of other people who haven't prepared either. I, for one, wouldn't want to have to sit in a long gas line or go to a supermarket and have to fight with crowds who are after the same things I need. At the very least, have a small backpack with the essentials in it right next to your front door (some food and water, a list of your medications if you're taking any). Based on the experience from Katrina, you're probably going to have to rely on your own wits and survival instincts for a few days before the government help finally kicks in.

Miulang

Comment

The small cans of protine drinks as well as packets of protine drink powder would be good to keep in the bag...might not taste great but when your regular packet foods run out it'll keep body and soul together a while longer.

Comment

You're right, Miulang. Early prep is crucial. Keeping those supplies around at all times, updated regularly, just in case, is key. If there's one lesson Katrina has taught, its that it's best to rely on yourself and your neighbors, family and friends, first, the government rescue effort second. Odds are, you'll be on your own for days or even weeks after the disaster. As far a shelter is concerned, I'm considering having my tent, flashlight, food and water ready to set up house inside the Thurston Lava Tube at Hawaii Volcanoes National Park. It's at a high elevation (No storm surge) and underground, protected from the wind and rain. Perfect. As long as there no badly time revival of the original eruption that created it....

Comment

Bob Kraus had an interesting column in the Advertiser last week about how by not respecting Mother Nature, that she will take revenge big time:

"...Maybe it's time we wonder if the gods, after all, might not be angry. Maybe Mother Nature is becoming impatient with us human beings who take her bounty for granted. She may be reminding us that we have been breaking her rules too long. Now she is making us pay.

It is sobering to realize that what happened in New Orleans and Shanghai are merely blips in nature's weather pattern. Hundreds of thousands were affected in the typhoon that hit Shanghai. In New Orleans, nobody knows yet how many have died. By turning up the intensity a few notches, Mother Nature can kill millions without blinking an eye.

What's scary is that larger disasters are yet to come unless we start paying attention. Fast-forward a century. The ocean level has risen because ice at the poles continues to melt. Hurricanes and typhoons have intensified because global warming has messed up the weather patterns.

By that time, populations have increased in the desirable seashore areas, including Hawai'i. A hurricane like Katrina would wipe out Waikiki exactly as it did New Orleans. Any coastal city would be vulnerable, millions of people at risk. With increased storm activity, we could count on not two or three big hits a year, but a dozen or more. Water systems, police protection, healthcare would break down. Looting would be rampant...."

The kanaka maoli and all indigenous people throughout the world have always had a respect for the land. They have intuitively known that if you take care of the land, it will keep you safe and fed. From such "simple" cultures, maybe we should take some lessons. The world may continue to turn...but we have a choice of whether it turns with human beings walking on it or not.

Miulang

Comment

Iniki surprise

Originally posted by helen
                          The one thing good about hurricanes is that we have at least day and half warning at the worst case.
                          I doubt there is a single Hurricane Iniki-surviving soul on Kauai (or a visitor to Kauai of that time) who would second the opinion "The one thing good about hurricanes is that we have at least day and half warning at the worst case".
                          Our story began on Thursday, September 10, 1992. ... On our way back to the condo, the car radio reported that the storm was passing several hundred miles south of the big island (Hawaii) and was expected to have no effect on the island of Kauai.

At about 5:00 AM Friday (9/11/92), we woke to air-raid sirens and tuned into the local radio station to find out what was going on. Iniki had performed a trick they call "recurrence" over night, and was heading toward us! At that time, it was expected to hit the island of Oahu which is a hundred miles southeast. Over the next few hours, the forecast changed to say that Iniki was going to pass between the two islands. I went to the gas station and filled the tank. Nothing else was open. We then packed up, and checked out of the condo by about 7:30 AM. By this time, local authorities were predicting that the hurricane would start to hit at about noon, with peak winds around 5:00 PM ..... .... A tale of hurricane Iniki theepicenter.com/the_tale

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                            A hurricane like Katrina would wipe out Waikiki exactly as it did New Orleans. Any coastal city would be vulnerable, millions of people at risk.
                            Errr, not exactly. New Orleans was drowned because it's below sea level, so the floodwaters didn't drain naturally. If Honolulu gets hit with a hurricane, we'll have a lot of wind and water damage but once the storm passes the water will drain away.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              Errr, not exactly. New Orleans was drowned because it's below sea level, so the floodwaters didn't drain naturally. If Honolulu gets hit with a hurricane, we'll have a lot of wind and water damage but once the storm passes the water will drain away.
                              Tell that to Bob Kraus. I know that NO is below sea level and Honolulu is at sea level. But why quibble over 6 feet of elevation? I think his point was that everyone--regardless where they live (Honolulu being his frame of reference) needs to ensure that they know what they have to do if they are subjected to abnormal weather conditions. He's also not the only one who thinks that we are in a cycle of really abnormal weather which means more severe storms. And the rest of that statement..."Any coastal city would be vulnerable, millions of people at risk. With increased storm activity, we could count on not two or three big hits a year, but a dozen or more. Water systems, police protection, healthcare would break down. Looting would be rampant..." what can we do to insure this part doesn't happen, and if we can't prevent it from happening, what can we do to mitigate the length of its impact?

Miulang

Comment

Working...
                              X