This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HPU's Subliminal Racist Marketing Campaign

Has anyone noticed how in virtually all of HPU's print ads (Downtown Planet, Hon Weekly, The Advertiser), there are NO asian/local male students? Try notice sometime. All haole males and females. If anything they perpetuate the haole male/asian female racist pairing in their ads, so common on the mainland. But no asian males.

I've even noticed the few TV ads feature only haoles.

As a male asian, I find this disgusting since HPU's student body is almost 85% asian/local.

Re: HPU's Subliminal Racist Marketing Campaign

mass media=propaganda pure and simple so try not to feel singled out

my .02 I "Know" nothing!

Comment

Originally posted by kahalabrah
      Has anyone noticed how in virtually all of HPU's print ads (Downtown Planet, Hon Weekly, The Advertiser), there are NO asian/local male students? Try notice sometime. All haole males and females. If anything they perpetuate the haole male/asian female racist pairing in their ads, so common on the mainland. But no asian males.

I've even noticed the few TV ads feature only haoles.

As a male asian, I find this disgusting since HPU's student body is almost 85% asian/local.

Your obsessions are showing: HPU and local news anchors. Are you a journalism graduate who didn't get a news anchor job or a spot in a commercial?
      Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Being an mainland-born asian male, I admit I am sensitive to racial bias against asian males. This is a glaring slight by HPU in my honest opinion. I'd like to know how this is acceptable in Hawaii. Perhaps we can share a friendly discussion.

Thank you.

Comment

I find this disgusting since HPU's student body is almost 85% asian/local.

it is annoying and disgusting. I am shocked and chagrined. Chagrined, annoyed, shocked and disgusted! by this racial inequity. I will sue. Where do I sign up to be more offended by this discrimination and extreme social injustice and illegal disgusting politically incorrect disgustingness that I find offensively racial?!

(no, really?! ya think this is "sarcastic"?! jeez... what was yer first clue?)
          Last edited by kimo55; September 2, 2005, 09:16 PM.

Comment

another funny,Kimo somthings different how many beers you up yo tonight?

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
              another funny,Kimo somthings different how many beers you up yo tonight?

uuuh, not as many as you, it seems...

Comment

I'm fairly sensitive about this kind of thing, too (I subscribed to the now-defunct A magazine, even), and I'm a brand-new graduate student at HPU, and I gotta say that I haven't really noticed this. The brochures, at least for my program, are deliberately multicultural, but then you gotta remember that (a) universities are deliberately multicultural anyway and (b) every university's propaganda is deliberately multicultural to the point of being obvious about it.

I'm thinking of that one TV commercial with the girl going from the beach to her classroom at HPU, and she looked pretty dang local. I don't know about Asian, but she looked at least partially Pacific-Islander.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I've definitely seen HPU ads with "locals" (i.e. not pasty white) featured, in print and on TV. The whole point of them is to reach the local market, after all, whereas HPU's overall strength and appeal is from overseas. Yet, if they're recruiting people from their student body to appear in said ads, I suppose it makes sense that Caucasians are well represented.

As I mentioned in the very, very similar TV news thread you started, I think you're seeing a very different Hawaii than the one someone born here sees. Which isn't to say either perception is dead-on.

But I'd say it's a huge, huge stretch to see some newspaper ads with blonde haired, blue eyed kids from Sweden (and boy, have they got a lot of students from Sweden!), and think, "HPU has clearly enginered this subliminally racist campaign against the exploited and underappreciated minorities of this land!"

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                    But I'd say it's a huge, huge stretch to see some newspaper ads with blonde haired, blue eyed kids from Sweden (and boy, have they got a lot of students from Sweden!), and think, "HPU has clearly enginered this subliminally racist campaign against the exploited and underappreciated minorities of this land!"
                    Waitaminute. Swedish college girls? Oooh.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                      Waitaminute. Swedish college girls? Oooh.
                      Sign me up! Oh, wait. I am signed up. Woo-hoo!
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

"I think you're seeing a very different Hawaii than the one someone born here sees. Which isn't to say either perception is dead-on."

You're absolutely right. I've had this discussion with several local/asian friends and we have virtually opposite life exposure to racism. Local asians have been blessed to have lived with virtually NO anti-asian racism growing up in Hawaii and I am envious! I, a mainland asian, have endured so much overt and subtle anti-asian racism, I could talk endlessly about my experience.

To be honest, I harbor some bitterness toward whites because of this. Hope you all understand. But moving to Hawaii has definitely helped!!

Comment

Local asians have been blessed to have lived with virtually NO anti-asian racism growing up in Hawaii and I am envious!
                          Whoa, whoa. Make up your mind! Are we being subject to subliminal racism or are we living with "virtually no anti-asian racism?" I respect your opinion, but I don't know if you can have it both ways!

But moving to Hawaii has definitely helped!!
                          Hmmmm. You may not have picked the best neighborhood, however. As Glen says, that's quite a loaded handle you're sporting there! Are you aware of the local Kahala stereotype?
                          Last edited by scrivener; September 2, 2005, 09:45 PM. Reason: "How many times must the cannonballs fly before they're forever banned?"
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Has anyone noticed how in virtually all of HPU's print ads (Downtown Planet, Hon Weekly, The Advertiser), there are NO asian/local male students?
                            Oh, yeah? Try being a Native American-Swede. We are severely underrepresented everywhere.

I mean, how often do you see Cherokee-Vikings in HPU's ads? I feel so oppressed! I want reparations. Or at least free tuition. Oh, wait, I already turned that down, 20 years ago. Never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                              Whoa, whoa. Make up your mind! Are we being subject to subliminal racism or are we living with "virtually no anti-asian racism?" I respect your opinion, but I don't know if you can have it both ways!

That's my point, I see the HPU marketing as favoring whites in their ads. You and many local asians don't see this somehow. ??
                              Confusing, eh?

We mainland asians may have a hyper-sensitive paranoia from all the crap we take. See www.angryasian.com and you may get a better understanding of me.

You said: "Hmmmm. You may not have picked the best neighborhood, however. As Glen says, that's quite a loaded handle you're supporting there! Are you aware of the local Kahala stereotype?
                              No. I'm not aware of this. Please elaborate. I know that it's mainly a white, gated/walled enclave which I am slowly tiring of. But it was a good investment at the time!

Comment

Working...
                              X