Supplemental Health Insurance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supplemental Health Insurance

I never purchased this insurance before, and have never had to miss more work than my allotted paid number of days, but I'll be 37 in a few months and am seriously thinking about it this time.

I don't have any family, so I don't have to worry about kids' needs, but I still have bills and an unhealthy love of ice cream.

Do any of you purchase supplemental health insurance? How much of it did you get, and what were the factors in making your decision? I'm attending an informational meeting about this in the next week or so and would love to solicit your anecdotes or expertise.

And now, back to your regularly scheduled madness. Where's that Reputation thread?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Supplemental Health Insurance

Does the school where you teach give you some kind of basic healthcare insurance (I assume they do). What kind of coverage does that give you? Just for preventive (clinic) care? By insurance standards, you're still young and healthy (at 40 the actuarial tables start working against you). Are you worried more about catastrophic expenses, like a hospital stay?

If you have a chronic disease, you would want to consider getting a supplemental policy with the lower deductible (you pay more per month but the bennies kick in sooner). If you're reasonably healthy, get one with a high deductible so your monthly out-of-pocket is less, which is always a major consideration for a teacher.

Like with car and home insurance, you're betting against the odds that you're never going to need to use the policy (that's how the insurance companies make their money, after all).

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I have an inexplicable urge to quack right now...

I guess with no dependents or family that rely on you for financial support, a life insurance policy really isn't practical. So if you're looking at coverage for you, for those "unexpected" things that we all expect, I suppose supplemental insurance makes sense. It's just that I just don't know anything more about it than what a duck tells me.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        I have an inexplicable urge to quack right now...

I guess with no dependents or family that rely on you for financial support, a life insurance policy really isn't practical. So if you're looking at coverage for you, for those "unexpected" things that we all expect, I suppose supplemental insurance makes sense. It's just that I just don't know anything more about it than what a duck tells me.
        If you're talking life insurance, that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish. If you have no dependents, you should still probably consider getting a term life insurance policy for maybe $10 or 15k. Shouldn't cost very much since you're still under 40 and a non smoker. That way, if you croak, your heirs (your parents or whoever you designate as your beneficiary on the policy) will have some money to cover things like your funeral and other bills.

Miulang
        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

If you can find one, go to an insurance broker who carries more than one insurance (health or life) product from multiple carriers rather than to an agent who only handles a single product (as in only Farmer's life, health and auto insurance). That way, you will at least have some assurance that you know what your options are and can price shop more efficiently.

Miulang

Comment

try
            ehealthinsurance.com

Comment

Hello, try checking out this site, might help you with your concern(
              http://www.insurance-quote-free.com/chris
              )I was amazed with the premiums I was quoted on. The entire quote was
              automated, simple questions and straight forward answers.

Comment

A quick advice to all you young vibrant below fifty years olds. Never overestimate your heath and well being. I don't want to go into a song and dance about my departed husband. To make a long story short. Hard worker, was in sports, never went to the doctor, then oneday stricken with a disabling and uncurable disease. Died at the age of 47. No time to buy supplemental insurance. No time to set up a fund. We lost everything and more -- him. Don't do the same mistakes. Prepare for your loveones.
                Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Aloha,

My wife and I are merchant sailors and we have an "ok" plan. We purchased a plan from a co. called Ameriplan. We saved a bunch of money on a dental visit. Mind you, you will need to pay upfront, but it will be cheaper. Go to the website and find a dr. in your area. Just type in "ameriplan" and press search.

Good luck

Comment

dunno if I dropped this here B4, but
                    www.ehealthinsurance.com
                    seemed pretty reasonable...

Comment

I'm a former agent for supplemental insurance. The two big companies are Combined and Aflac. For your age, you will pay around $30 a month for accident insurance, probably $60/month for sickness insurance.
                      They both pay about the same amount: $100/day each day you are in the hospital, an additional $50 if you see a physician and an additional $100 for an ER visit. $1000/day for intensive care stays.
                      I have accident insurance for myself, my wife and each child. My rationale: If you go down hard because of a car accident, you will be wihout income for quite some time. At least that $3000/month will cover something. I personally believe in insurance. That $132/month I am paying ($33 each for four of us) is a lot, and I have thought about dropping it many times. I broke my toe a month ago, then dropped the side of a door on my ankle two weeks ago. Two claims for $100 (ER) + $50 (saw a Dr.) = $300. The paperwork is lame, but isn't it always? Have to do the paperwork. I think I may have dropped the door just so I could collect, hmmm....
                      I have two good health insurance (retired military and current job) plans. Aflac's plans are after tax benefits (you don't pay tax on the money for premiums). Combined's are before tax (you pay tax on your income, then pay the premium to them). Benefits are taxfree.
                      Some employers will assist you with supplemental insurance even if they don't pay for medical insurance.
                      Aloha,
                      Frank
                      http://www.oahu-real-estate.biz

Comment

Working...
                      X