Hui ordered to return objects to Bishop Museum

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hui ordered to return objects to Bishop Museum

It's too bad that the courts had to order Hui Malama to return to Bishop Museum the 83 burial artifacts that were on "loan" to the Hui and which were repatriated to a cave in the Big Island.

At least the artifacts will be safe from theft for the time being and the court also ordered that the museum cannot put them on display until the dispute is settled. One of the main problems right now, as with the Akaka bill and the pro-sovereignty movement is that different factions of the kanaka maoli have different opinions on what should be done. I just hope this issue doesn't get escalated to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals, as have so many other kanaka maoli suits.

"...No fewer than 13 separate groups have claims on the priceless artifacts, which include carved-wood statuettes of family gods, or 'aumakua; carved bowls; a human-hair wig; ipu, or gourd objects such as drums and water bottles; tools; and pieces of feather capes.

Their removal from a burial cave on the Big Island in 1905 led to their placement with Bishop Museum, their reburial by Hui Malama and now the court fight among three competing claimants.

Reaction to the latest action, a federal court ruling 100 years after the artifacts were first removed, shows the raw emotions simmering for years surrounding the artifacts.

Even as Hui Malama decried the ruling, other Native Hawaiian groups that made claims to the items applauded Ezra's decision...."

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Hui ordered to return objects to Bishop Museum

Judge Ezra yesterday filed papers requiring that Hui Malama return by Sept. 23 all burial artifacts in their possession back to the Bishop Museum for safekeeping until the issue of who owns the items can be determined.

Hui Malama, in return, will appeal to the 9th Circuit Court of Appeals to stay that order.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Just gotta say it's been sooo hard biting my tongue on this subject, but being an employee of the museum I would possibly get in trouble.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

The latest news on this "poker" game between Hui Malama and the courts sounds a lot like Hui Malama calling Ezra's bluff again. Judge Ezra should just get some "BALLS" already and jail these LAWBREAKERS who are defying a direct court order. As far as I know Hawaii is still a part of the United States ....we'll see at 4:00pm today.
        Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
        Flickr

Comment

Has anything "new" happened in the last couple of days?
          I got busy and haven't been paying attention. Just wondering?
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

Oh, yeah. The Hui Malama guys wen' ignore da judge. Da judge stay mad. Somebody goin' spend New Years in jail, dey no watch out.

http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/23/news/story06.html

I, for one, as a Kanaka Maoli, wish Hui Malama wouldn't presume to speak for all Hawaiians. They have no business speaking for me. And they certainly have no business telling people what should be done with MY ancestor's property and persons. Who died and appointed them "king"?

They need to butt out. They don't speak for everybody. And that goes for anybody else who presumes to speak for all Hawaiians on ANY issue.

ALL Hawaiians do NOT have the same opinion or beliefs on any given issue. Their opinions are as diverse as the race and the culture. For any person or group to claim to represent the interests and opinions of all, for their own good or not, is a bold-faced lie and a fraud.

Blaine
            Make trouble, have fun, do good stuffs.

Comment

Oh wow, what I said?

http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/28/news/story01.html

Hui Malama leader in jail for 'indeterminate amount of time'

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                Just gotta say it's been sooo hard biting my tongue on this subject, but being an employee of the museum I would possibly get in trouble.
                Since my mom's long retired from the place, she's been giving me an earful with no worries.

I'm not jumping into the "which group's right" part of this, but when a Federal judge tells you to do something and you don't do it, you've got no right to object when he sends you off to jail for a while. Whoever the Hui Malama attorney is should tell his clients to keep their mouths publicly shut while he negotiates with the judge.
                Last edited by Linkmeister; December 28, 2005, 06:52 AM. Reason: Thoughts on arrest
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Anyone got a succinct history of this mess?

So Bishop Museum, which IMHO is a perfectly reasonable party to preserve and house artifacts, "loaned" these to Hui Malama, I guess to "do the right thing" to allow Native Hawaiian groups to incorporate them into their practices... only to have them buried in unspecified, multiple caves.

Now other Native Hawaiian groups are crying foul, even more Native Hawaiian groups are railing against those groups and the courts, Hui Malama's leaders are jailed (and well on the road to martyrdom), and the artifacts are still missing.

"This is why we can't have nice things."

Comment

I can't do a "succinct history," but it started in part as a reaction to the Native American Graves Protection and Repatriation Act of 1990.

FAQ for NAGPRA here: http://www.cr.nps.gov/nagpra/FAQ/INDEX.HTM
                    http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                      Oh wow, what I said?

http://starbulletin.com/2005/12/28/news/story01.html

Hui Malama leader in jail for 'indeterminate amount of time'
                      ho, wow laulau.
                      Z, I goin stay on yer good side; Bumbai li' dat, you goin wish ME into da cornfield too!

Comment

The whole situation weirds me out. I think about it this way:

Gramma has a couple of grandkids. When Gramma dies, she gets buried with her wedding ring on. Decades go by, and one of the grandkids digs up her grave to get those rings. The grandkid has the best intentions: those rings are set in a style not seen nowadays and you cannot find gemstones like that anymore. S/he wants those rings to be preserved and makes every effort to find a good museum so that anyone and everyone can see that glimpse of the past.

Over time, another grandkid gets wicked huhu over the situation. Gramma was buried with her rings for her reasons; not for the grandkids'. This grandkid feels a moral obligation to return those rings to lie with the dead. S/he will do whatever needs to happen to return them. Let history move on; but leave the dead in sacred peace.

Neither grandkid speaks for the other, and both feel that what they have done was ultimately right enough to make their wrongs understandable.

pax

Comment

The grandma's ring analogy is good, but the whole argument between Hui Malama and the other groups is that there is no proof that the idols and many of the other objects were funeral pieces.

There is some argument that they were simply hidden in caves after the 1819 abolishment of native religion. Some are saying that the idols and other pieces were hidden to keep them from being destroyed.

Comment

Originally posted by zztype
                            The grandma's ring analogy is good, but the whole argument between Hui Malama and the other groups is that there is no proof that the idols and many of the other objects were funeral pieces.

There is some argument that they were simply hidden in caves after the 1819 abolishment of native religion. Some are saying that the idols and other pieces were hidden to keep them from being destroyed.
                            Let's really think about that for a moment:

If it held mana, it was hidden. If it was hidden, it was to protect it. Hair, feces, fingernails, malo, bones, spears, cape, adornments, personal talismans, kapa. All hidden. And in attack? That's what the enemy goes after. Anaana sorcery relied upon it. Our history confirms this. Great battles were fought doing this. Even our own grandparents have personal variations of doing the exact same thing. Our olelo noeau has a great deal of cautionary things to say about it. We know that bragging about one's genealogy is "exposing and bleaching the bones" of our ancestors.

I understand and appreciate the foresightness and practicality inherent in artifact preservation, museums, etc. I believe they do their best to be noble institutions with humanity's best interests at heart.

But I respect greatly those who stand up with the courage to right a wrong. I don't think Ayau fears jail; he is serving Akua. That said, I am genuinely conflicted on this issue.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                              We know that bragging about one's genealogy is "exposing and bleaching the bones" of our ancestors.
                              I'd like to respectfully ask why it is, then, that so very many Hawaiian chants are genealogical histories?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Working...
                              X