Ku I Ka Pono schedules protests at Kukaniloko

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ku I Ka Pono schedules protests at Kukaniloko

The red shirts of Ku I Ka Pono will be going in caravans from different sites on Oahu to Kukaniloko, the piko of Oahu (and the site of the birthing stones of the ali'i) to protest expansion of the Stryker Brigade to this sacred site.

Another demonstration will be held tomorrow at Pohakuloa on the Big Island.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Ku I Ka Pono schedules protests at Kukaniloko

There were at least 200 protesters at the Kukaniloko demonstrations yesterday which were staged to protest the Pentagon's plans to occupy Kukaniloko, which is considered by the kanaka maoli as the center of Oahu. Their main objections are based on the disturbance and destruction of sacred Hawaiian artifacts and the damage to endangered plants and wildlife.

"The Army's environmental review states that there would be significant effects on cultural and biological resources, but that mitigation efforts could reduce them...."

Typical of the federal government's shortsidedness is that they say mitigation efforts might reduce any effects to the land and the plants and animals that live there. How about if the DoD can GUARANTEE that there will be no damage done to Kukaniloko? Is the amount of federal funding that will come into State coffers worth more than the historical and environmental value of Kukaniloko and Pohakuloa to the people of Hawai'i?

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I saw bunches of these folks at Costco Waipio late yesterday afternoon. My wife couldn't help but shake her head at the pair of cars with huge upside down Hawaiian flags and signs taped on the windows declaring "Ku I Ka Pono" waiting in line for cheap Costco gas. They were chrome-rimmed Cadillac Escalades!

Yeah, yeah, folks of all backgrounds can stand together against wrong. But it just seemed strange to be proclaiming one's love for the `aina and defense of the downtrodden Hawaiian people from the tinted, dark cockpit of these monuments of Western capitalist excess!

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
        Hawaiian flags and signs taped on the windows declaring "Ku I Ka Pono" waiting in line for cheap Costco gas. They were chrome-rimmed Cadillac Escalades!

Yeah, yeah, folks of all backgrounds can stand together against wrong. But it just seemed strange to be proclaiming one's love for the `aina and defense of the downtrodden Hawaiian people from the tinted, dark cockpit of these monuments of Western capitalist excess!
        yea. waiting in line while they wait to save what? 30 cents per gallon while they waste a gallon sitting there idling in their rolling stonehenge that gets 6 miles per gallon...

Comment

I saw bunches of these folks at Costco Waipio late yesterday afternoon. My wife couldn't help but shake her head at the pair of cars with huge upside down Hawaiian flags and signs taped on the windows declaring "Ku I Ka Pono" waiting in line for cheap Costco gas. They were chrome-rimmed Cadillac Escalades!

Well, they gotta buy gas from someplace, don't they? Were you more upset that they were in the Escalades or that they were in the line for cheap gas? I dunno if I find kanaka maoli driving around in Escalades while going to a protest too ironic or hypocritical. Seems to me they wouldn't be in those Escalades if society hadn't forced them to try to keep up with the Smiths or the Chings or the Arakawas! I think when you're economically challenged, the minute you can afford to buy one of those material objects of "entitlement" (e.g., an Escalade), you probably won't think too hard about going out and doing it. There's quite a bit of stigma around being perceived as poor. So if you can buy the Escalade, it's telling the folks around you, "hey, I've made it! I'm living the American dream!"

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
            Seems to me they wouldn't be in those Escalades if society hadn't forced them to try to keep up with the Smiths or the Chings or the Arakawas!
            Why, you're right! It's those evil haoles, exerting their imperialist might on the exploited indigenous peoples once again! How dare they force those poor Hawaiians to feel envious and desire trappings of the capitalist west! How dare they leave room for free will, selfishness, and excess!

Ah, yes, their judgement is sound, dammit, it's all of society that's screwed up!

Man. Sometimes I'm embarassed to be a leftist tree-hugging liberal pinko...

Comment

Why, you're right! It's those evil haoles, exerting their imperialist might on the exploited indigenous peoples once again! How dare they force those poor Hawaiians to feel envious and desire trappings of the capitalist west! How dare they leave room for free will, selfishness, and excess!

Ah, yes, their judgement is sound, dammit, it's all of society that's screwed up!

Man. Sometimes I'm embarassed to be a leftist tree-hugging liberal pinko...
              You know what I mean, PZ. Nobody's forcing anybody to do anything (as in putting a gun to their head), but it's the perception. Ever heard of the book, "Been down so long it looks like Up to me?"

Miulang

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                . Seems to me they wouldn't be in those Escalades if society hadn't forced them to try to keep up with the Smiths or the Chings or the Arakawas!
                Oh Miu! society forces no one to do dat kine t'ing....

Comment

Thanks to the power of advertising, what does driving an Escalade or a Porsche or a Mercedes or a Hummer mean to the average "consumer"?

Miulang

Comment

thank god I'm not an average consumer. I am satisfied driving damn near anything. why bother spending tons when da buggah rust away wikiwiki li'dat anyway!?

Comment

Most of the world dreams of having the guilt of excess.
                      “First we fought the preliminary round for the k***s and now we’re gonna fight the main event for the n*****s."
                      http://hollywoodbitchslap.com/review...=416&printer=1

Comment

Working...
                      X