Downtown Parking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downtown Parking

I didn't think this was going to be an issue, but a recent turn of events has led to my having wheels for a little while, so I'll be driving to my evening classes downtown. My classes are from 5:15 to 7:30 or so; where would you recommend I grab parking? They're not my wheels, so security is a consideration, 'though not the ultimate consideration.
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Downtown Parking

overly tight, badly designed circular parking garage @ Palomino's.

Comment

Depends where your class is at... if it is closer to the Capitol area, you can park at Iolani Palace, along Richards Street or maybe the Post Office parking lot... I've parked at these places the few times I've gone to downtown in the night... haven't had any problem with vandalism or anything like that... plus those locations as well as other places on the street are free after 6PM (you may have to put in a couple of quarters to take care of the 5:15 to 6PM part)... then again if you have a fancy car, then perhaps you may want to try one of the parking garages.. though that may cost some $$.
      Last edited by mel; September 3, 2005, 12:26 PM.
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Is Mark's garage still $3 flat rate after 3 p.m.?

How late are the Chinatown municipal lots open? Like the one in Marin Tower off Smith Street?

Comment

This site has a map that they use for the monthly Gallery Hop, but it also includes a pretty comprehensive list of the best parking garages in the Downtown area:

http://www.artsatmarks.com/map.htm

Comment

Scriv, this probably isn't of any use to you, seeing the time frame in which you are looking for parking, but I would like to make mention of my tradition of parking in downtown Honolulu the few hours before the Honolulu Marathon starts.

I always park at the Davies Pacific Center Parking lot at Alakea and Queen. At the time I'm parking (Sunday AM), I get free parking! I don't pay a nickel for first level parking, in a secure setting, right by the guard shack. It's the best parking deal downtown. Of course, their isn't much demand for parking in the Financial District at 1:30AM on a Sunday AM, but it's so neat to get this normally prime parking for zilch.

Funny only in Honolulu stories go along with my parking there. First, the garage guards always ask me about the marathon, as I leave the garage with my full running gear in place, complete with my bib number attached to my singlet. Happens every time. It doesn't matter who is on at the time; I get stopped to talk story about the race without fail.

Then comes the walk to the start line from the garage. My route is basically Queen to Ward to Ala Moana. For non-marathoners, this might seem to be a hike, but for runners, it's a nice little warm up stroll. I'm not sure of the name of the establishment, but I walk directly in front of some sort of (perhaps) strip joint on the makai side of Queen...without fail, the bouncer in front of this place has to stop me and talk story about the race also. I get stopped everytime...it's another tradition that always occurs on my way to the start line.( I have even been asked if I want to stop in before the race, for free, by the bouncers, but I kindly declined..the place looks rough!)

Then come the convesations with the HPD officers on duty along the route to the start line. I've had HPD officers stop me to talk story about the race many times. One time they had a somebody in cuffs (I didn't dare ask why) along Queen, close to the Hamada Store, and they found time to ask me about the race and wish me well. That was kind of funny.

I park at the Davies Pacific garage for the great deal, but it is not the only reason. I have to admit I enjoy this traditional walk down Queen St. to the marathon start line in the early morning darkness. It's a view of it that I suspect not many ever get to..or want to..see.

Comment

A few of my employees park surrepticiously at a certain large supermarket that is located next to a certain large drug store chain, if you know what I mean.

Comment

aaaah kahalabrah! no give out secrets!

Comment

Eh kimo, what's wrong with helpin a brutha out?

PS. Park at your own risk! No reports of towing, but it is possible.

Comment

who else's risk would we park at?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                      who else's risk would we park at?
                      How's about "asterisk"? bahahahaha! Actually, now that "da secret" is out, maybe da lot owner going call da gendarme out (or da tow truck). Try go look foa one sign in dat lot dat says "Private Property". If get, dey can tow anytime dey tink you not using da lot for commercial reasons, or moa worse, dey go chain your car to one 50-gallon drum so you no can go anyplace until da tow truck comes.

Miulang
                      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang

How's about "asterisk"? bahahahaha!
                        Where's Auntie Pupule when you need her? Dat joke needs one good whack whack!

Actually, now that "da secret" is out, maybe da lot owner going call da gendarme out
                        And only one katonk would use one word like gendarme.
                        By da way folks, please join me in wishing Miulang and her oddah half a very Happy Anniversary as of today!

Comment

Originally posted by lurkah
                          Where's Auntie Pupule when you need her? Dat joke needs one good whack whack!
                          And only one katonk would use one word like gendarme.
                          By da way folks, please join me in wishing Miulang and her oddah half a very Happy Anniversary as of today!
                          You mean da buggah who's sitting about 10 feet away from me on da odda computer? I "arranged" for his BD and our anniversary to be on da same day (because like one akamai wahine I thought that way he would remember)...HA! He remembered his BD, but not our anniversary! But I shamed him into buying me roses tonight...Auntie Lynn, you like give Panzo one whack whack on da head as one birthday present instead of on da okole? One whack whack enough. I no like you break your hand giving out as many whack whacks as his age.

Miulang
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

ok.
                            hey miu.

happy adversary!

Comment

I neva like come on this thread...for reasons. Now, I gotta report what was said! Miulang, Happy Anniversary, my dear friend!

As for parking in the downtown area, actually anyplace is safe. HPD Officers make patrols often and the cameras are working. Your best bet would be on King Street, Nuuanu across Palamino or Bethel Street...for on street parking.

Auntie Lynn

Panzo? Happy Birthday!

Ladies and Gentlemen, I no longer give w.w.
                              I am becoming a new W. O. M. A. N.
                              Last edited by 1stwahine; September 4, 2005, 10:52 PM.
                              Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                              Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Working...
                              X