One reason Hawai'i's unemployment rate is so low

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One reason Hawai'i's unemployment rate is so low

The number of service sector jobs was at an all-time high at 56,000 jobs last month, topping a previous record from 1990.

"...As employers scramble to find workers, average wages have also risen, hitting $308.25 a week, according to the most recent data. That's up about $4 a week from last summer.

Most workers in the industry are still parttimers, working an average of 27 hours a week, down from 28 hours last summer...."

If guess if you need to supplement your income with a second job, waiting on tables might be the thing to do, even if it is a really physically demanding job.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: One reason Hawai'i's unemployment rate is so low

Waiting tables is a few things. . . .

one of them is not physically demanding. Pour some concrete. Break up some concrete - that's physically demanding.

not a job where you only earn 300/week. it is however a job where you will earn 150/night, but report earnings of 300/week.

Just a few thoughts (based on experience.)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen
      Waiting tables is a few things. . . .

one of them is not physically demanding. Pour some concrete. Break up some concrete - that's physically demanding.

not a job where you only earn 300/week. it is however a job where you will earn 150/night, but report earnings of 300/week.

Just a few thoughts (based on experience.)
      It's physically demanding on your feet, and if you're a female, it's especially demanding if you have to evade the pinches, propositions, etc. from amorous customers (e.g. drunk tourists). And if you don't wait tables for someplace like Indigo's or other upscale eateries, the odds of your pulling in $150 in tips a night is slim to nil, unless you do "extracurricular" work

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
        It's physically demanding on your feet, and if you're a female, it's especially demanding if you have to evade the pinches, propositions, etc. from amorous customers (e.g. drunk tourists). And if you don't wait tables for someplace like Indigo's or other upscale eateries, the odds of your pulling in $150 in tips a night is slim to nil, unless you do "extracurricular" work
        Now really, what qualifies you to talk about the state of Honolulu's bar industry?

$150 in tips is easily attainable at a number of bars here. You don't know what you're talking about.

And tourists aren't the only ones who get drunk and stupid on this rock. Alcohol is equal-opportunity.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
          Now really, what qualifies you to talk about the state of Honolulu's bar industry?

$150 in tips is easily attainable at a number of bars here. You don't know what you're talking about.

And tourists aren't the only ones who get drunk and stupid on this rock. Alcohol is equal-opportunity.
          Wasn't talking about bartenders. Was talking about the people who wait tables. And "e.g." means "for example". "i.e." would be used if singling out in particular the drunken tourists.

Miulang

Comment

Wasn't talking about bartenders. Was talking about the people who wait tables.
            Never said I was talking about bartenders either. And don't lecture me on reading comprehension. You used tourists as an example, and I pointed out that alcohol is equal-opportunity.

I have a friend who works at a hole-in-the-wall karaoke joint. Just got off the phone with this person a few minutes ago, and during our conversation I asked how much they made serving drinks (not bartending) on Friday and Saturday.

A little less than $400 was the response.

That's just one example. Workers in the bar and nightclub industry here in Honolulu can make $150 in tips with no problem if they hustle.

I'm not trying to be rude (I can be if you like), but you simply don't know what you're talking about in this particular case.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
              Never said I was talking about bartenders either. And don't lecture me on reading comprehension. You used tourists as an example, and I pointed out that alcohol is equal-opportunity.

I have a friend who works at a hole-in-the-wall karaoke joint. Just got off the phone with this person a few minutes ago, and during our conversation I asked how much they made serving drinks (not bartending) on Friday and Saturday.

A little less than $400 was the response.

That's just one example. Workers in the bar and nightclub industry here in Honolulu can make $150 in tips with no problem if they hustle.

I'm not trying to be rude (I can be if you like), but you simply don't know what you're talking about in this particular case.
              My frame of reference is food servers, not in the bar and nightclub industry; you know, the ones who work in the small "family" restaurants (not the upscale ones). And in your initial retort to me (see post #4), you did say I know squat about the Honolulu bar industry, which I don't deny.
              Last edited by Miulang; September 5, 2005, 03:26 PM.

Comment

If guess if you need to supplement your income with a second job, waiting on tables might be the thing to do, even if it is a really physically demanding job.
                Notice that you never said anything about small, "family" restaurants. You only said waiting tables.

My frame of reference is food servers, not in the bar and nightclub industry; you know, the ones who work in the small "family" restaurants (not the upscale ones).
                If you're talking about a small, mom-and-pop operation, you're right - $150 a day ain't gonna happen. But you wouldn't be able to get a job there anyway, since all the employees are usually family members or friends of the family who work for free.

Seems like you're starting to get into semantics to wiggle out of the fact that you shouldn't act like an authority on a subject you aren't that familiar with.

Back on topic... the news that service sector jobs are at an all-time high is interesting, since Gov. Lingle recently signed legislation raising the minimum wage. Businesses were complaining that workers got enough in tips as it is, and didn't need the extra bump in pay.
                Last edited by Palolo Joe; September 5, 2005, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X