A store that sells $300 laptops?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A store that sells $300 laptops?

While I was out with Auntie Lynn today, I saw a corner store that had a sign that sold $299 laptops. Its on the same block as Mayor Wrights Housing on the north side near Times.

Anyone knows the deal about that store?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: A store that sells $300 laptops?

Originally posted by doc1456
    I saw a corner store that had a sign that sold $299 laptops.

Anyone knows the deal about that store?
    Well, was there a sign in the window that said "Pawn Shop"?

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

Actually it's a new Electronic store that opened up about a month ago. I'll go take a walk on tuesday since it will be probably closed the next two days. My sister was funny when we were waiting for the light to turn green..."oh what happened to the place that sold materials there" I tell her, "what you can not see the big sign that says FABRICS?" She tells me to SHUT-UP! I look at Adrian and laugh!

Brand new Laptops for sale $299.00 programed and ready to use.
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine

Brand new Laptops for sale $299.00 programed and ready to use.
        Maybe I'll check it out later this week.

Comment

Yeah, I'll go with you. I'll be your "BODY GUARD!"

Auntie Lynn
          Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
          Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by 1stwahine
            Yeah, I'll go with you. I'll be your "BODY GUARD!"

Auntie Lynn
            Maybe after I stop by sometime this week.

Comment

For $299 I can't imagine it being anything more powerful than a P3 running less than 1ghz (more like less than 500MHz). It should run Windows XP or 2000 with a minimum of 128mb of ram albiet a bit slow and Windows Office 2003 and be able to run wirelessly on any WiFi with a PCMCIA WiFi card.

Don't plan on using it for online video or audio streaming or using it for gaming or MP3 audio playback. It'll run but it will be unstable at best.

Good for word processing, spreadsheets and basic online surfing.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                For $299 I can't imagine it being anything more powerful than a P3 running less than 1ghz (more like less than 500MHz). It should run Windows XP or 2000 with a minimum of 128mb of ram albiet a bit slow and Windows Office 2003 and be able to run wirelessly on any WiFi with a PCMCIA WiFi card.

Don't plan on using it for online video or audio streaming or using it for gaming or MP3 audio playback. It'll run but it will be unstable at best.

Good for word processing, spreadsheets and basic online surfing.
                Exactly what I'm looking for in a laptop. I already have a powerful desktop at home, so all I need in a laptop is to do essays at school or at the library and listen to music while I'm at it. And plus, I need to practice on upgrading laptops, so the first thing I'll do is to add more RAM to it.

Comment

Actually, there isn't a whole lot to do when upgrading laptops. The most you could do is upgrade memory or the hard drive. Installing memory is easy since all of the modern laptops have a door you can open up which reveals the memory slot to insert the memory. I have a late model compaq armada laptop which the memory slot is right underneth the keyboard. All you need to do is push on some plastic tabs to pop the keyboard out to install memory.

The hard disks tend to be a little trickier since the data and power connectors are all integrated along two rows of pins. Not a problem? Well, a few years ago I purchased a 44-pin to 40 pin/molex adapter to transfer data from the laptop PC to my desktop PC. I accidentally put the cable on backwards... Turn on the PC and *POP*, fried the laptop hard disk.

I used to work for a service tech shop back in my college days. You do have to be extra careful when opening up the laptops with all the easily bendable pins and delicate ribbon cables for the display and hard disk. If you break the cables, it's not like you can go to your local Fry's or mom and pop computer shop for parts.

Comment

Originally posted by 808_m3
                    If you break the cables, it's not like you can go to your local Fry's or mom and pop computer shop for parts.
                    Mmmm... Fry's. But I don't think Adrian is privy to the electronics goodness that goes on here, nor would any local people who haven't seen their huge advertisements in the LA Times...

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                      Mmmm... Fry's. But I don't think Adrian is privy to the electronics goodness that goes on here, nor would any local people who haven't seen their huge advertisements in the LA Times...
                      I've been to Fry's when I was in California. I stand in awe and envy.

Comment

If Fry's ever landed on your fair shores, it would blow away most of the other big box electronics stores on the island. The only reason I'm not in there every week for something is because it's about 30 miles away from me. The only problem I've encountered with upgrading or fixing components on a laptop is everything is proprietary, which is why it costs more to fix a laptop. I mean, I understand that as far as an OEM company is concerned, if they keep everything proprietary, it means that their customers are handcuffed to their technology, so it keeps their revenue stream looking very healthy; but for the average consumer, it's a real pain in the tochus. Mercifully, laptops are getting so cheap that, like printers, sometimes it's better just to get a new one when the old one breaks than try to have it fixed. Ah, built-in obsolescence. Gotta love it as a consumer.

Miulang
                        "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
                          Ah, built-in obsolescence. Gotta love it as a consumer.
                          But you gotta hate it as a tree-hugger. I can't imagine how more computer components going into our landfills will be good for the environment.

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
                            But you gotta hate it as a tree-hugger. I can't imagine how more computer components going into our landfills will be good for the environment.
                            You're right. I hate it. I recycle as much as I can. But Madison Ave. has had its way with our psyches so that anything "old" is bad; anything "new" is better. I can't change the world, but I can certainly change me. You know what's appalling? The "old" part even goes as far as a person's age in this society: even though the federal laws against discrimination are supposed to protect older workers from being discharged from their jobs because of age, guess what's happening? In right to work states like Washington, a worker can be terminated at any time, without cause. That means, even if all your annual reviews have been stellar over years and years, a company still can fire you and not have to give you a legitimate reason for letting you go. How messed up is that? Is Hawai'i a right to work state too? I hope not, for all those people who are now between 50-65.

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I thought this thread was about laptop computers.

Comment

Working...
                              X