PDA

View Full Version : What food would you never eat?

adrian
September 5th, 2005, 09:46 PM
Either its related to allergy, or you just plain hate it, what food would you never eat?

I, myself would never eat seafood that's still in their body form (as long as I can recognize a part, I move away from it). But for some reason, I'll eat fish sticks/fillets, and the definate ones I'll never be within 10 ft of is crustatians (you know, crab, shrimp, lobster, etc). Ever since I smelt the fresh ones (and sometimes the cooked ones) I hated that smell. Heck, its even to the point that is some kind of phobia to me. (my Mom used to hang the crab shell on the fence and I'd never go on that part of the house until someone took it down, but that's another post.)

kimo55
September 5th, 2005, 10:04 PM
liver

tongue.
(a cow's)

brains.
(again)

tube steak.
(how big is it!?)

salted nut roll
(hey lil girl, how about a...)
(mst3K)

grubs

god
I mean dog

lavagal
September 5th, 2005, 10:10 PM
head cheese. Don't understand it.

kimo55
September 5th, 2005, 10:25 PM
ok, then, I won't understand it.

helen
September 5th, 2005, 10:43 PM
I try to avoid curry.

saigonwarrior
September 5th, 2005, 10:58 PM
Liver and bagaong.

Palolo Joe
September 6th, 2005, 12:27 AM
Anything served out of the kitchen at Karaoke Hut... :eek:

lavagal
September 6th, 2005, 06:56 AM
I try to avoid curry.

I love curry, Helen! Tell why you don't eat it! (I hope I still love the world's curries after I read your explanation!) I enjoy Thai and Indian curries, I had some Ethiopian curries, but I feel all of them are fantastic, except for Japanese curry, which has way too much cornstach!

scrivener
September 6th, 2005, 07:07 AM
Soylent Green. I hope.

Glen Miyashiro
September 6th, 2005, 07:55 AM
I enjoy Thai and Indian curries, I had some Ethiopian curries, but I feel all of them are fantastic, except for Japanese curry, which has way too much cornstach!You know why Japanese curry is the way it is? It's because they didn't learn about curry from the Indians -- what they learned about was the British Navy's version of Indian curry. :p

TurquoiseDuck
September 6th, 2005, 09:03 AM
MSG

I am allergic to it and suffer for about three days if I accidently eat it.

Would not even taste dog, cat or rat.

Da Duck

MadAzza
September 6th, 2005, 09:41 AM
No WAY would I eat that half-formed duck fetus thing the Filipinos eat, whatever that's called (starts with a "b"?). Eeew!

I wouldn't knowingly eat a dog, a cat or a Turquoise Duck.

I don't understand the appeal of mochi.

kimo55
September 6th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I think I ate cat or dog once:

years ago, went for dinner at some good freinds house. They are vietnamese. really sweet people and such hospitality. This was in L.A.

Going midway thru dinner, I see the meat had these tiny bones. I coudn't do it. I felt badly begging off from much of dinner, but i swear; most of it probably bow wow-ed or meow-ed eight hours earlier.

Subsisted mostly on bread that evening.

Miulang
September 6th, 2005, 10:12 AM
About the only food I would never try to eat at least once is one that I knew for sure would kill me (either through toxicity or allergy). I like sampling ethnic cuisine and testing ethnic recipes at home. I make a mean doro wat (Ethiopian chicken stew) and feijoada (Brazilian black beans and smoked meat stew) from scratch.

Miulang

ojosverdesdegato
September 6th, 2005, 11:02 AM
I will eat just about anything...at least once. In a perfect world i would be a vegetarian, but I do not have the will power, but I do eat a lot of tofu. The one thing I do NOT drink tho, is pop..or "soda" as you say in the US. I simply NEVER drink it.
Curry, by the way, has many anticarcinogenic properties.

Claudia

kahalabrah
September 6th, 2005, 11:14 AM
I once saw a program about grisly ethnic foods and one food that really grossed me out was the Filipino baloot (?) , a fully formed chicken fetus that is hard-boiled and served within the shell? Ugggggggghh. I can't imagine biting into that. The texture, bones crunching, feathers stuck in your teeth. I think I'm gonna abort...

adrian
September 6th, 2005, 11:30 AM
No WAY would I eat that half-formed duck fetus thing the Filipinos eat, whatever that's called (starts with a "b"?). Eeew!

Balut?

I never tasted it myself, but I made so many jokes about it during easter time, that I don't want to experience it myself.

kimo55
September 6th, 2005, 12:23 PM
No WAY would I eat that half-formed duck fetus thing the Filipinos eat, whatever that's called

wow. that's sound really daffy.

Leo Lakio
September 6th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Balut - have to agree there.

Actually, I'm a notoriously picky eater, but I've found that, when in Hawai`i, I'm more willing to try new foods at least once. (I never ate raw fish in any form before having ahi poke, which is now one of my favorite foods.)

There is a Japanese belief that, for every new food you try, you add 72 days on to your life. Thanks to family and friends in the Islands, I've been given at least another 6 or 7 years.

Miulang
September 6th, 2005, 12:47 PM
There is a Japanese belief that, for every new food you try, you add 72 days on to your life. Thanks to family and friends in the Islands, I've been given at least another 6 or 7 years.

If that belief is true, then I'm gonna be as old as Methuselah.

Miulang

helen
September 6th, 2005, 11:01 PM
I love curry, Helen! Tell why you don't eat it! (I hope I still love the world's curries after I read your explanation!).
It's the smell that gets to me. I have eaten curry a couple of times and I know it doesn't kill me, however it's way, way on the bottom of the list of things I eat.

And I don't hold it against a person if they say they love curry.

toeknee
September 8th, 2005, 04:11 PM
That's good. I love curry. Wow, some of these foods you guys have mentioned, I didn't realize were foods. I'm mostly with Kimo and Miulang: no wierd organs, no potential pets, no rodents that eat garbage, no poisonous blowfish. Of course, if forced, all of those would probably taste better if swimming in a nice yellow Indian curry! :eek:

mel
September 8th, 2005, 06:49 PM
Foods that I would never knowingly eat: bagong, black dog, dog, cat, insects, beets, that salty black Chinese egg....

1stwahine
September 8th, 2005, 08:44 PM
I would never, ever, ever eat BALUT!Yuk! :eek:

Auntie Lynn

TurquoiseDuck
September 8th, 2005, 09:47 PM

Auntie Lynn

I DID eat balut. Ha !! It was a chicken one, NOT da duck one.

Just shows to go ya, that I would eat "almost" any thing yeah ?

Heh, heh, heh.

1stwahine
September 8th, 2005, 10:02 PM
I DID eat balut. Ha !! It was a chicken one, NOT da duck one.

Just shows to go ya, that I would eat "almost" any thing yeah ?

Heh, heh, heh.

How could you...YUKKY..THINGY! :p

TurquoiseDuck
September 8th, 2005, 10:10 PM
How could you...YUKKY..THINGY! :p

*ROTF*

:D

alohabear
September 9th, 2005, 05:56 AM
NATTO! :eek: Too Stringy and Stink. My mom makes her own with a electric blanket to keep it warm and fermented. Yukky! :p

mel
September 9th, 2005, 06:01 AM
I don't watch NBC TV's "Fear Factor" but on their website they have a long article about getting balut. Oh geez... I guess they forced their contestants to eat this stuff in an episode.... so the question is, for a million bucks would anyone eat this stuff?

http://www.nbc.com/Fear_Factor/stunts/stunt_203_balut.shtml

AuntieNellieKulolo
September 9th, 2005, 06:37 AM
Interesting thread. I just survived 3 weeks in China and Tibet without eating anything too gross or unusual, though I did enjoy yak curry in Lhasa. What I would never eat(knowingly):

Rabbit
Organ meats
Balut
Insects
Brussels sprouts
Lima beans

For the record I adore curry(the real Indian deal, hotter the better!)

Surfingfarmboy
September 9th, 2005, 06:56 AM
For AuntieNellieK:

Tibet?? Holy cow...that's really out there! I always thought that area was so politically sensitive to China that it was difficult for just about anybody to get into it. That is something!

I read that you would not ever try insects...made me recall an article I read in the Chicago Tribune once about an area within Mexico where locals eat tortas and tacos made with live insects. It is considered a true delicacy in this area. The reporter who wrote the article documented seeing the eaters of these tacos and tortas with live insects actually crawling up their arms after some the bugs escaped the tacos they were consuming. The tacos came in a variety of insects; the only one I specifically remember the reporter mentioning that locals ate were ants, though others were noted that I don't remember.

mel
September 9th, 2005, 07:05 AM
Creepy Crawly Cuisine: http://www.lsu.edu/lsutoday/981023/pagetwo.html

Many insects are edible. In fact, according to www.eatbug.com, an entomophagy (insect eating) Web site, most people have inadvertently consumed more than a pound of insects in their lifetime. Flour beetles, weevils and other insects that infest granaries are milled along with the grain, finally ending up as those tiny black specks in your slice of bread. Small grubs and other tiny insects can be found in fruit and vegetables, and insects are especially common in canned and other types of processed food and beverages.

Still doesn't appeal to me. Get out the RAID and poison that food dead!

mel
September 9th, 2005, 07:09 AM
Creepy Crawly Food For Sale (http://www.worldisround.com/articles/87383/photo1.html)

Scorpions anyone? (http://www.worldisround.com/articles/87383/photo3.html)

Stall Selling Fried Insects (http://www.worldisround.com/articles/87383/photo2.html)

Coconut Cocoons (http://www.worldisround.com/articles/87383/photo4.html)

All looks so yummy.......not!!!!!!!

Miulang
September 9th, 2005, 07:10 AM
To convince kids that eating properly prepared insects is not only good for you but can also taste good, our local Science Center has a "bug man" from the UW spend time with kids every so often, coaxing them to eat stuff like chocolate covered ants, deep fried worms, etc. YUCK!! Oh well, I suppose if you can stomach the thought of Gummi worms and rats or pickled aguacate worms in tequila, it's not too much of a leap to graduate to hard core bug eating...

Miulang

craigwatanabe
September 9th, 2005, 11:37 AM

Auntie Lynn

Anyone remember that Larry Price slip up on the Perry and Price show one morning? It started out with a conversation on eating Filipino food when a Haole Navy sailor said hs wife is Filipina and he eats all of her native cooking including Balut. Larry Price couldn't believe it but was impressed at his courage to eat the stuff.

When the phone conversation ended it segue'd into a song with Larry Price talking over it to the post saying: This is for the sailor who eats his wife's Bilat" :eek: (He meant to say Balut) Meanwhile Michael W. Perry is heard laughing his ass off as the song hit the post.

At the end of the song, Larry Price comes on the air and still doesn't understand his slip up with Michael W. Perry telling their radio audience, "Let's go to the phones". Some elderly female caller tells Larry, "Larry shame on you!" Price still puzzled over the ruckus tells the lady, "I just said the sailor eats his wife's Bilat!" Oh man the female caller was even more embarrassed and hung up.

Michael W. Perry quickly hit another song laughing so hard! When that song ended Larry Price finally figured it out and apologized profusely. That was a radio classic! :D

EastCoastTropics
September 9th, 2005, 12:50 PM
I would never knowingly eat dog, cat, rodents, insects or reptiles. I've tasted frog legs and don't care for em! On a recent trip back home to Hawaii got to taste some bear that my brother shot. He made a stew and it was ono! :)

MadAzza
September 9th, 2005, 12:57 PM
I read that you would not ever try insects...made me recall an article I read in the Chicago Tribune once about an area within Mexico where locals eat tortas and tacos made with live insects. It is considered a true delicacy in this area.

In a sleepy Mexican village ...

"Hey, Pedro! Here comes one of those gringo reporters. Wanna get 'im?"

"Si, Carlos! What should we do this time?"

"Hmm ... I know! Let's tell him we put bugs in our tacos!"

(They both laugh uproariously.)

1stwahine
September 9th, 2005, 01:29 PM
Anyone remember that Larry Price slip up on the Perry and Price show one morning? It started out with a conversation on eating Filipino food when a Haole Navy sailor said hs wife is Filipina and he eats all of her native cooking including Balut. Larry Price couldn't believe it but was impressed at his courage to eat the stuff.

When the phone conversation ended it segue'd into a song with Larry Price talking over it to the post saying: This is for the sailor who eats his wife's Bilat" :eek: (He meant to say Balut) Meanwhile Michael W. Perry is heard laughing his ass off as the song hit the post.

At the end of the song, Larry Price comes on the air and still doesn't understand his slip up with Michael W. Perry telling their radio audience, "Let's go to the phones". Some elderly female caller tells Larry, "Larry shame on you!" Price still puzzled over the ruckus tells the lady, "I just said the sailor eats his wife's Bilat!" Oh man the female caller was even more embarrassed and hung up.

Michael W. Perry quickly hit another song laughing so hard! When that song ended Larry Price finally figured it out and apologized profusely. That was a radio classic! :D
Ok, Ok, Craig...you made me laugh! (Now go answer the question on my Blog!)

Auntie Lynn

ojosverdesdegato
September 11th, 2005, 11:41 AM
OK...Forgive the ignorance of this dumb Canadian....What is "balut"? And, what is "bilat"?...I take it "bilat" is maybe something sexual??? NO?

Mahalo,

Claudia :o

TurquoiseDuck
September 11th, 2005, 01:23 PM
OK...Forgive the ignorance of this dumb Canadian....What is "balut"? And, what is "bilat"?...I take it "bilat" is maybe something sexual??? NO?

Mahalo,

Claudia :o

"Balut" is an incubated egg with developed embryo of 17 to 19 days which is boiled and eaten with or without salt.

Bilat is human female genitalia.

Turquoise Duck

Glen Miyashiro
September 11th, 2005, 01:25 PM
"Balut" is an incubated egg with developed embryo of 17 to 19 days which is boiled and eaten with or without salt.

Bilat is human female genitalia.I thought it was spelled "bilot". (Not that I write it down all that often, mind you.)

lurkah
September 11th, 2005, 02:06 PM

Bilat can also apparently be used as a proper name (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?p=33921#post33921). :p

kimo55
September 11th, 2005, 02:37 PM

in some instances, they are both equally fowl.

1stwahine
September 11th, 2005, 03:15 PM
Hananakukuleilei! you guys and gals going get it from the moderator! I swear dis just like my BLOG! Betta stay on topic this is drifting some naughty place else...you're invited to Auntie Pupule's Hale for further discussion. Don't dirty the Forum! :p :rolleyes: :eek:

Auntie Lynn ;)

PS. Before my lips goes sidewards!

TurquoiseDuck
September 11th, 2005, 03:48 PM
I thought it was spelled "bilot". (Not that I write it down all that often, mind you.)

I think it is spelled bilot, too. Am sure it is pronounced Bee Lot'.

Balut is pronounced Bah Loot'.

(just to clear up any misunderstanding for our Canadian viewers)

:p

Turquoise Duck

AuntieNellieKulolo
September 12th, 2005, 07:11 AM
For AuntieNellieK:

Tibet?? Holy cow...that's really out there! I always thought that area was so politically sensitive to China that it was difficult for just about anybody to get into it. That is something!

It's actually fairly easy to get into Tibet these days, especially if like me you go with a tour group. There are lots of permits involved but it is doable. We did have to leave Lhasa a couple of days earlier than planned because President Hu was in town and the gov't ordered all foreigners to leave town... :eek: Otherwise I enjoyed Tibet and China(Sichuan-ono spicy food!) and hope to go back someday.

pinakboy
September 14th, 2005, 12:00 PM
its not bilat, belat, bilot...

its actually the B-lot right next to the A-lot in the parking lot. :D

i don't eat all da tings members posted so far.

imma vegetarian! lol NOT!! :D

Fondoo2
September 14th, 2005, 01:35 PM
no tripe,no how no way nuh uh not me

MadAzza
September 14th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Tibet?? Holy cow...

OK, now *that's* hilarious!

backwoodlessons2
February 6th, 2006, 06:26 PM
I stay away from any type of seafood. Also, I don't like olives or cucumbers. Would never eat veal.

Menehune Man
February 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM
I think it is spelled bilot, too. Am sure it is pronounced Bee Lot'.

Balut is pronounced Bah Loot'.

Yes to the first :p but no ways to the second :eek:

adrian
February 6th, 2006, 06:48 PM
I stay away from any type of seafood.
Wow, and I thought I was the only one who did.

speedtek
February 6th, 2006, 09:26 PM
I have eaten Dog, Cat, Snake, Armadillo, Monkey, Horse, Frog, Moose, Deer, Wild Rabbit, Pigeon, Quail, Wild Boar & White Eel. Termites and Ants when I was a kid. Oh yeah and I forgot Rat......Taste like stringy chicken!
(In Asia anything goes!!!)

Sign on the restaurant wall: If it moves we serve it!
My saying is: If it moves I ate it before.

BUT I REFUSE TO EAT: Liver, Brains or any other Internal Organs! Wahoo or Bugaong, Balut or Anchovies!

In Thailand I ate Giant Roaches and Crickets BUT NEVER AGAIN!

craigwatanabe
February 6th, 2006, 09:45 PM
I have eaten Dog, Cat, Snake, Armadillo, Monkey, Horse, Frog, Moose, Deer, Wild Rabbit, Pigeon, Quail, Wild Boar & White Eel. Termites and Ants when I was a kid. Oh yeah and I forgot Rat......Taste like stringy chicken!
(In Asia anything goes!!!)

Sign on the restaurant wall: If it moves we serve it!
My saying is: If it moves I ate it before.

BUT I REFUSE TO EAT: Liver, Brains or any other Internal Organs! Wahoo or Bugaong, Balut or Anchovies!

In Thailand I ate Giant Roaches and Crickets BUT NEVER AGAIN!

I know another thing you won't eat...Macrobiotic foods...BLEHHH! Ah the good old day's eh?

Pua'i Mana'o
February 7th, 2006, 06:17 AM
Yes to the first :p but no ways to the second :eek:

will you marry me? ;)

speedtek
February 7th, 2006, 12:21 PM
I know another thing you won't eat...Macrobiotic foods...BLEHHH! Ah the good old day's eh?

HAHAHA! a blast from my mom's past! Even her dog wouldn't eat Macrobiotic Dog food!

lurkah
February 7th, 2006, 12:47 PM
Yes to the first :p but no ways to the second :eek:will you marry me? ;)

Dude, I think she's serious. She even changed her avatar to match the occasion. :D

Leo Lakio
February 7th, 2006, 01:12 PM
Once in conversation with the Kane`ohe family, Dad-to-the-Alpha-Female commented on having tried Rocky Mountain Oysters.

When asked what they tasted like, Alpha Female said, "and don't say that they tasted like chicken."

I said, "betcha they tasted like nuts." :D

Pua'i Mana'o
February 7th, 2006, 06:29 PM
Dude, I think she's serious. She even changed her avatar to match the occasion. :D

You owe me a squeegee, a new monitor, and a new keyboard. I like my avatars to suggest toxic dames. ;-)

beaker
February 8th, 2006, 02:01 PM
I won't eat lima beans. I'm sure they're made from discarded drywall/sheetrock.

Pass me all your brussels sprouts though, they're my favorite. Halved and grilled a tiny bit golden brown outside, and sprinkled with a little gorgonzola and balsamic vinegar...mmmm...

smoot
February 17th, 2006, 03:40 PM
I'll try anything once, except for cat, dog and guinea pig. I have no problem with other people eating them, it's just that I have emotional attachments to those animals. Oh, and bugs. I'm sure they taste great but I can't get over the visuals.

Balut is a delicacy in lots of Asian areas. I'm not sure why there's so much hoo-ha about it. It's the in-between stage between an egg and a chicken, right? If you've eaten eggs and chicken (or duck), balut isn't much different. I've had it and it's pretty good, as long as I don't have to look at it!

AbsolutChaos
February 17th, 2006, 04:06 PM
I decided I won't eat hardly anything I saw on that TV show "Taboo."

Here's the Link (http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2004/04/0419_040419_TVfoodtaboo.html) to the article mentioning the show on the National Geographic Website.

Stuff I WON'T eat mentioned on the show include:
--Femented Fish (http://tunt.blogspot.com/2005/01/24-fermented-fish.html)
--insects
--worm cheese (http://www.apocalypsefiction.com/issfive/cheese.html)
--dogs/cats (http://www.seoulsearching.com/DogMeat.html)

Mentioned on the show were these things that I actually would try once:
--guinea pig
--fugu fish

I also won't eat natto as mentioned by a lot of other people already.

i-hungry
February 18th, 2006, 07:53 PM
mcdonalds.

just kidding.

nah. not kidding. but too late.

hawaiiguy
February 18th, 2006, 09:46 PM
normally, the bagaong is not eaten---this fermented fish thingy is stirred into hot water to make the soup base---and this soup base is what is used with vegetable/meat dishes ...

tutusue
February 18th, 2006, 09:59 PM
mcdonalds.
just kidding.
nah. not kidding. but too late.
Fortunately they have a few healthy items! For instance, a wonderful side salad for $1.00; good size, mix of different lettuces, 3 cherry tomatoes and a slice of carrot. I use my own dressings. This is a great deal for singles. I buy 3 at a time as they last a minimum of 3 days. I no longer need to buy salad fixings from the grocery store so there's no more waste. And, they have an apple/grape/yogurt salad for $2.99.

Unfortunately, they have great chocolate chip cookies! :rolleyes:

zztype
February 19th, 2006, 12:14 AM
Auntie's steak on a first date!!

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!! LOL!!!

:D

1stwahine
February 19th, 2006, 03:36 AM
If you want a good laugh, you got to read this thread from the start! It is hilarious!! Classic!! No can beat!!

Now, Rule #1 Nobody betta eat my Steak on a First DATE! :rolleyes: :p :eek: HAHAHAHAHA

Auntie Lynn ;)

cynsaligia
March 18th, 2007, 11:52 AM
the beau and i have taken to watching "bizarre foods with andrew zimmern." he's gone to the philippines, many parts of southeast asia, and right now, we're watching him watch some ecuadoreans grill palm grubs that look about two to three inches long and maybe three quarter inch thick. they also have a beer-like drink made of fermented corn.

there haven't been too many things on the show that the beau and i wouldn't try at least once--tripe, guinea pig (they eat fluffy as a delicacy in ecudaor), sheep's brains, to name a few. zimmern enjoyed balut--had more than one. he practically hurled on klia, which is a meat that is salted, dried, preserved in its own fat, and then cooked with eggs. he said it reeked of dead flesh.

here's the site: http://travel.discovery.com/tv/bizarre-foods/bizarre-foods.html

i don't think i would try klia or some of the wormy stuff. i have no problems with organ meats. i ate balut as a child, and the beau actually found balut enjoyable in an adventurous way. he said it was really like eating an egg/chicken. hearing him say that made me love him more--i can't see myself being romantically involved with a food wimp.

to answer a post earlier, bagoong IS eaten uncooked. it's strained and added to tomatoes as a simple relish for fish. it's also added to various blanched fili veggies--well, non-fili ones, too, like blanched cabbage. if you're eating filipino food, it's just as likely that bagoong is in the mix instead of patis.

i've tried natto. if it's nicely hidden in nori with rice, then i can get past the smell and stomach it. chirashi style? ech. i can't get past the sight of slimy rice.

adrian
March 18th, 2007, 12:56 PM
^ I'd never eat anything on that show.

DannyWilliams
March 18th, 2007, 01:19 PM
My Dislike List:
Asparagus
Black Licorice (gimme Red anyday!)
Cauliflower
Garden Salad (I may nibble on carrots if there is any)
Grits
Kalamat Olives
Sauerkraut (I tried it w/ Sasauge for St Patty's and me did not like it BLEAH!)
Yellow Broccoli

blueyecicle
March 18th, 2007, 02:09 PM
I will never eat ants....

again.

I will never eat Oysters.....

again.

I will never eat sushi....

period.

I will however offer a 1.00 to any one of my sons to eat a cricket....

again!:D

Oh and I forgot...I will never eat Maggots....

again! Yuck!

Keanu
March 18th, 2007, 02:15 PM
there haven't been too many things on the show that the beau and i wouldn't try at least once--tripe, guinea pig (they eat fluffy as a delicacy in ecudaor)

I had isues with the guinea pig segment. Guinea pigs were my favorite kind of pet when I was a kid and it was disturbing to see them be picked out of a cage like lobsters. :mad:

The one thing I would never eat is ass!

Pua'i Mana'o
March 18th, 2007, 02:20 PM
yesterday my eldest daughter grabs the box of cheerios out of the cupboard and pours herself a bowl. Younger daughter comes by, and absent-mindedly nibbles out of her sister's bowl while talking to her. They are both at the counter, wacking the cereal like its popcorn in this big bowl, yakking away, and I come by, take a good look at the cereal and exclaim, "throw it away! look at all the ants on it!!"

Oldest daughter blithely replies, "sheesh Ma, ants no mo guts!" and kept eating it and younger daughter giggles and shrieks, "this is Sparta!!!" and also kept nibbling.

Feral, dain bramaged daughters have I. :rolleyes:

tutusue
March 18th, 2007, 02:49 PM
[...]The one thing I would never eat is ass!
I wonder how many times you've eaten rump roast and not known about it! :D

lavagal
March 18th, 2007, 03:32 PM
My Dislike List:
Asparagus
Black Licorice (gimme Red anyday!)
Cauliflower
Garden Salad (I may nibble on carrots if there is any)
Grits
Kalamat Olives
Sauerkraut (I tried it w/ Sasauge for St Patty's and me did not like it BLEAH!)
Yellow Broccoli

well, don't come to my house!:D

oceanpacific
March 18th, 2007, 04:19 PM
NO, NO, NO to:

NATTO;
RAW CELERY;
BEETS (I also hate it when the beet juice soaks into my rice);
BALUT;
LIVER.

I was ate rabbit - it tasted like BBQ chicken.

Kelly0040
March 18th, 2007, 04:21 PM
he practically hurled on klia, which is a meat that is salted, dried, preserved in its own fat, and then cooked with eggs. he said it reeked of dead flesh.

OMG I saw this lastnight. I almost hurled for him and I totally thought he was going to do it on the second bite. I give the man props for trying everything twice. The Ecuador grubs tho were too cool! Big and fat. I kept waiting for him to plop one in his mouth alive, but in the end, they looked kinda good fried in butter.

I, too, can't stand natto - it's a combination of the texture, smell, slimeyness and the fact that I cant swallow it. My brother tried eating it (I told him it'd taste like peanutbutter) and he chewed for a good 3 minutes before he spit it out cuz he couldn't swallow it either. My dad, of course, will gladly eat it, but he eats a lot of wierd things I'd never touch.

Pomai
March 18th, 2007, 04:29 PM
Balut sure is getting a bad rap here. Aside of the grotesque appearance and crunchy texture of bones, it tastes like chicken soup. Not bad actually. :p

Anyone ever try Rocky Mountain Oysters (bull calf testicles)? How are they? I'd try 'em!

No insects or bugs of any kind for me. Even if you offered a $million, I don't think I'd do it. Even if you said it tasted like "buttered popcorn", I don't care! :eek:

tikiyaki
March 18th, 2007, 04:59 PM
Anyone ever try Rocky Mountain Oysters (bull calf testicles)? How are they? I'd try 'em!

No insects or bugs of any kind for me. Even if you offered a $million, I don't think I'd do it. Even if you said it tasted like "buttered popcorn", I don't care! :eek:

So Bull Balls. but no bugs ? Yikes :eek:

Liver - no

Salmon - just don't like it.

Man, there are ALOT of foods I won't eat....I'm picky I guess. :rolleyes:

tutusue
March 18th, 2007, 06:29 PM
I have good friends who were visiting me. They cooked dinner one night...chicken. They'd overstocked my refrig 'til it was busting at the seams. So, no room for the leftover chicken. They left it out on the counter in the pan in which it was cooked...all night...and served it for dinner the next night. They didn't think twice about it. I agonized over how I was going to refuse to eat it. I really didn't want to hurt their feelings. Finally I just told them the truth. They were amazed that I thought the chicken might go bad during that 24 hours!!! They didn't get sick. I wasn't willing to take a chance! :eek:

anapuni808
March 18th, 2007, 06:46 PM
Peas & Brussels Sprouts - aargh.

and like TutuSue, I'm really cautious with leftovers. I try to cook just enough that I won't have anything left.

oh, and if bread gets damp, like on a sandwich? may as well through the whole thing away! I can't even look at it.
That goes back to my childhood & my mother's cooking of a very mid-western dish of stewed tomatoes with bread & sugar in it. Ugh - makes me sick just thinking about it :eek:

joshuatree
March 18th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Durian....makes a great weapon but no thanks when it comes to eating it.

MixedPlateBroker
March 18th, 2007, 07:23 PM
I would never willingly eat:
* Anything with partially hydrogenated vegetable oil (clogged arteries! ewww)
* Anything from Taco Bell (two bouts of food poisoning back in the 20th century turned me off for good)
* A Mashed Potato Bowl from KFC(http://www.kfc.com/menu/bowls_potato.asp (http://www.kfc.com/menu/bowls_potato.asp)) -- must be what they do with their scraps
* Rat turds (anyone who's seen a Hawaii DoH checklist knows what I speak of and which restaurants can claim this item in their kitchens)
* Natto
* Fried cow brain sandwich (courtesy of the Midwest: http://www.cnn.com/2004/HEALTH/01/16/brain.sandwich.ap/index.html)
* Anything from Denny's. Give me Liliha Bakery anyday. And have a gander at this: http://www.ksdk.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=61592
* Deep-fried Oreo cookies

Being a self-admitted gourmand with more than a passing interest in food science, human nutrition and bodybuilding, the fact that many citizens of developed countries have become far removed from their food sources has always been a point of fascination for me. I don't think it's a coincidence that the United States has the highest rates of obesity and diabetes in the developed world.

Thankfully I was taught at an early age the basics of how to cultivate, hunt and prepare sources of food from land, sea and air. You know, in case we end up fighting them here instead of just over there. :rolleyes: But I digress. My point is that getting involved in hunting/gathering what ends up in your gullet at some stage of your life engenders not only respect for our forebears, but an honesty in the relationship between you and your food.

Consider for a minute that haute cuisine is rooted in serving 19th century French royalty such delicacies as tortoise soup, savory bear and croustade of pigeon. Even the Romans enjoyed fermented fish paste (the world's first condiment) over 2,000 years ago: http://www.guardian.co.uk/print/0,,4457568-103690,00.html. The Scottish even still enjoy haggis -- a sheep's heart, liver and lungs boiled in its own stomach. I'd try all of these dishes given the opportunity.

Sorry all for my overlong discourse. I'm just very passionate about food and it was my humble wish that I could perhaps share some of my limited experience & knowledge with you.

Now let's eat dinner! :D

tutusue
March 18th, 2007, 07:55 PM
[...]and like TutuSue, I'm really cautious with leftovers. I try to cook just enough that I won't have anything left.[...]
I'm a very lazy cook so when I attack the kitchen I make sure to get several meals out of it. Leftovers are my friend!!! I do, however, refrigerate them promptly then freeze in individual portions. That food goes to the office freezer so I don't have to eat out all the time.

Something I refuse to even try is...tongue! Eeeewwwwwww!!! Oh, and head cheese! :eek:

Leo Lakio
March 19th, 2007, 06:59 AM
Anyone ever try Rocky Mountain Oysters (bull calf testicles)? How are they? I'd try 'em! Well, they don't taste like chicken, I've been told.

More like nuts.

:p

kaneohegirl
March 19th, 2007, 07:35 AM
Something I refuse to even try is...tongue! Eeeewwwwwww!!! Oh, and head cheese! :eek:

OMG tongue is some of the most tender flavorful meat there is!!! my favorite way to eat it is to go to a real mexican place an get beef tongue tacos or burrito... OHHHH man to die for!!!

but I am right there with you on the head cheese... do you know how thats made:eek: :eek: eeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww NASTY

tutusue
March 19th, 2007, 11:04 AM
OMG tongue is some of the most tender flavorful meat there is!!! my favorite way to eat it is to go to a real mexican place an get beef tongue tacos or burrito... OHHHH man to die for!!![...]
You can have my share! :D

SusieMisajon
March 20th, 2007, 01:29 AM
head cheese. Don't understand it.

Headcheese, otherwise known as brawn, is pretty good. All it is is the leftover bits of the pig that didn't go into the sausage, boiled and then strained, the meat layered in a dish with maybe some pickles and then the liquid poured over and left to set. Served in slices with good bread and mustard,it makes a nice lunch.

It's much more honest than sausage.

SusieMisajon
March 20th, 2007, 01:31 AM
I think I ate cat or dog once:

years ago, went for dinner at some good freinds house. They are vietnamese. really sweet people and such hospitality. This was in L.A.

Going midway thru dinner, I see the meat had these tiny bones. I coudn't do it. I felt badly begging off from much of dinner, but i swear; most of it probably bow wow-ed or meow-ed eight hours earlier.

Subsisted mostly on bread that evening.

Why didn't you ask? It might've been rabbit.

SusieMisajon
March 20th, 2007, 01:33 AM
I once saw a program about grisly ethnic foods and one food that really grossed me out was the Filipino baloot (?) , a fully formed chicken fetus that is hard-boiled and served within the shell? Ugggggggghh. I can't imagine biting into that. The texture, bones crunching, feathers stuck in your teeth. I think I'm gonna abort...

Little baby chicks don't have feathers...just soft downy fluff...like marshmallows.

SusieMisajon
March 20th, 2007, 01:40 AM
Once in conversation with the Kane`ohe family, Dad-to-the-Alpha-Female commented on having tried Rocky Mountain Oysters.

When asked what they tasted like, Alpha Female said, "and don't say that they tasted like chicken."

I said, "betcha they tasted like nuts." :D

I have to tell you...we castrated our donkey, Armageddon (he was born on the night that Bush invaded Afghanistan, hence his name), and I took the testicles and put them in the fridge, thinking to cook and eat them.

SusieMisajon
March 20th, 2007, 01:43 AM
I had isues with the guinea pig segment. Guinea pigs were my favorite kind of pet when I was a kid and it was disturbing to see them be picked out of a cage like lobsters. :mad:

The one thing I would never eat is ass!

I have a neighbor who grinds up his old donkeys and makes dried sausage from them.

SusieMisajon
March 20th, 2007, 01:51 AM
Often, in the small outlying villages, they'll have a dinner to fund something-or-other, and everyone who wants can come and pay and eat, drink, dance, and be merry. To advertise, they'll pass out flyers. We got one the other day, and I had to ask the kids' teacher what was that on the menu...'Croupiade and frites'...turned out to be duck tails and french fries.

cezanne
March 20th, 2007, 07:06 AM
Saw this on The Travel Channel recently... this guy goes all over to different countries, diff cuisine. This one was Phillippines. They sauteed some huge live grubs. Okay I'm flip too but that totally grossed me out.

cynsaligia
March 20th, 2007, 07:40 AM
Saw this on The Travel Channel recently... this guy goes all over to different countries, diff cuisine. This one was Phillippines. They sauteed some huge live grubs. Okay I'm flip too but that totally grossed me out.

yeah, that was the "bizarre foods with andrew zimmern" show i mentioned earlier. i could do everything in the phililppine eppy but NOT the grubs. not bcs of the way the grubs themselves looked, but i don't think i can handle slurping woody grainy innards (which is how zimmern described eating them). bleeeeeeaaaaaaccchh! i'd rather take a still quivering wood worm by the head, dip it in some bagoong and kalamansi, and bite the body off.

Da Rolling Eye
March 20th, 2007, 07:47 AM
Headcheese, otherwise known as brawn, is pretty good. All it is is the leftover bits of the pig that didn't go into the sausage, boiled and then strained, the meat layered in a dish with maybe some pickles and then the liquid poured over and left to set. Served in slices with good bread and mustard,it makes a nice lunch.

It's much more honest than sausage.
We had the stuff everyday for lunch when we stayed in Dieppe for a week for an international kite festival. Fresh bread or croissants, headcheese, other kinds of sausages, fresh fromage a Belgian friend brought with her and fresh fruits from one of the small markets. Our booth became the meeting place for lunch. Bless my wife who'd come by the field later and stop by the patisserie and boucherie (sp?) on her way for fresh food every morning. We made Hawaiian style and invited as many new friends as we could to come eat. "Eh, come eat!" or "Eh, kaukau time!" Ran us broke, though. :D Our hosts tried hard, but the lunch sandwiches they provided just didn't quite make the grade.

Don't recall seeing any "strange" foods. We tried everything we saw or could get our hands on. I do regret not bringing back the peach brandy (?) that the area was known for.

From that trip, here's what I won't drink...eat...whatever it was. Every morning we had breakfast in the "community" cafeteria. They take this big'ol pot and fill it with water, bring it to a boil and dump in a huge bag of Nescafe instant coffee. Nastiest coffee I ever had. Could stand a spoon up in the thang. :(

cynsaligia
March 20th, 2007, 07:57 AM
From that trip, here's what I won't drink...eat...whatever it was. Every morning we had breakfast in the "community" cafeteria. They take this big'ol pot and fill it with water, bring it to a boil and dump in a huge bag of Nescafe instant coffee. Nastiest coffee I ever had. Could stand a spoon up in the thang. :(

bllyeeaaaaaggghhh! instant coffee! *hurls*

i forgot about that.

*changes her "doan wanna eat list" to include instant coffee, and places it just below natto*

Random
March 20th, 2007, 12:40 PM
I would never eat fried ants, fried roaches, fried crickets, fried scorpions, etc. I would never eat live squid on a stick.

Pretender
March 20th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Maybe you've eaten one (or many) already. If I recall correctly, the FDA has a standard for allowable number of insect parts per certain volume of canned vegetables. Makes sense if you really think about how difficult it would be to exclude all insects from a large mass production facility. At least the insects are thoroughly cooked and sanitized! (and probably tasteless) ;)

Hellbent
March 20th, 2007, 10:22 PM
Youd have to hold a gun to my head to get me to eat natto.
I'd never eat:
penis, anus, or scrotum of any animal (hot dogs and spam dont count)
any insects, worms, or things like that.

funny story - my sister made beef tongue one night and gave me some, i didnt like the gamey taste, my wife noticed and offered to trade dinners. she finished it and my nephew came up and said, wow, you really like cow tongue?
not so funny part - she was barfing minutes later. i really thought she heard when we were talking about it before the trade =p

WindwardOahuRN
March 20th, 2007, 11:15 PM
Eyeballs. Eyeballs belonging to any mammal.

I believe it is an honor in some cultures to be offered the eyeballs of a featured menu item.

Eeek. :eek:

WindwardOahuRN
March 20th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I would never eat fried ants, fried roaches, fried crickets, fried scorpions, etc. I would never eat live squid on a stick.

I have eaten chocolate covered ants. Kinda like chocolate covered Rice Krispies. I was young and brave. No biggie.

Jake's Ohana
March 21st, 2007, 01:44 AM
I remember watching on the Travel Channel program, the Anthony Bourdain show where he visits a couple of Latin American countries. In Peru, he eats Guinea Pigs, and the other country, Mexico (?) BBQ Iguana. :eek:

Now I would not eat that! However, there was nothing like my dad's stew featuring beef cow tongue. I did the rocky mountain oyster thing while visiting in Colorado, after a belly full of beer, but I would say that it tastes very chewy and grisly. I believe there is a rocky mountain oyster food festival held somewhere in Idaho if I'm not mistaken.

SusieMisajon
March 21st, 2007, 03:11 AM
Very nice peach liqeur...

Take a glass jar and pour in some brandy (or armagnac, or vodka, etc..), then add a spoonful of sugar. Then, each time you eat a peach, apricot, or nectarine, put the seed inside the booze with a bit of sugar...with maybe some flesh still on it...and the skin, if you peel the fruit before eating. Leave it in a cool and dark place for about a year, and then strain it (use a coffee filter) and add some glycerine for viscosity (the glycerine sweetens it, so watch out). If you like, you can add a few peppercorns or cloves or alspice berries with the fruit. This gets better the longer it sits.

(try the same kind of thing with tequila, sugar, rose petals, and raspberries, too)

oceanpacific
March 21st, 2007, 07:56 AM

I believe it is an honor in some cultures to be offered the eyeballs of a featured menu item.

Old-time Japanese considered fish eyes a delicacy.

"Rocky Mountain oysters" - We had a small piggery operation (< 50 hogs). After castrating the male piglets, the Filpino men helping my step-father would pocket these "jewels" for later consumption.

Random
March 21st, 2007, 01:11 PM
Old-time Japanese considered fish eyes a delicacy.

"Rocky Mountain oysters" - We had a small piggery operation (< 50 hogs). After castrating the male piglets, the Filpino men helping my step-father would pocket these "jewels" for later consumption.
We must have picked that up from the Spanish, whose delicacies includes bull's cojones.

achow
March 26th, 2007, 01:13 PM
Balut
Liver
Tongue

nikki
March 26th, 2007, 06:34 PM
If you crashed on an icy mountain, could you eat human flesh to survive? Or would you rather die? I think I'd rather die, but then I've never been in that situation.

SusieMisajon
March 26th, 2007, 09:35 PM
If you crashed on an icy mountain, could you eat human flesh to survive? Or would you rather die? I think I'd rather die, but then I've never been in that situation.
Dead is dead. Food is food. (don't eat the brains)

Lei K
March 27th, 2007, 02:12 PM

My uncle and great grandfather LOVED eating the eyes of fish. Loved only refers to my late great grandfather, I'm sure my uncle STILL loves it. When my mother was little she said they would take their chopsticks, pick them off of the fishy and chase her around the hale telling her to take a bite.

stevo75
March 27th, 2007, 02:49 PM
I will eat anything except for spicy foods. Don't get me wrong I love the taste but my stomach can't handle it!

zff
March 30th, 2007, 09:39 AM
Lobster and crab.

In fact, I don't care much for any kind of shellfish. I find crustaceans particularly repulsive, though. I realize that that puts me in a minority, but it allows me an observation that I think escapes most.

Since the taste has never appealed to me, I'm able to observe their physical appearance dispassionately. Ever since I can remember, crustaceans (crab, shrimp, lobster, etc.) have always looked like the same kind of creature as beetles, spiders, scorpions, cockroaches and centipedes. I'm sure every child starts off aware of this glaring similarity, but as they get older and develop a taste for crustaceans, they become blind to it.

Of course, I later learned that they are all the same kind of creature. Crustaceans (crabs, lobster, shrimp, crayfish, etc.), insects (ants, beetles, mantis, locusts, etc.) and arachnids (spiders, scorpions, ticks, mites, etc.) are all arthropods. They have the same body structures and they fulfill similar roles in their respective ecosystems. I even think lobsters and cockroaches sort of smell the same.

Doesn't this look like a black & white picture of the leg of some exotic -- and probably delicious -- species of crab?

http://invsee.asu.edu/imagegallery/Real/LifeSciences/Em/cockroach/roachleg6.jpg

It's a cockroach leg, greatly magnified.

Anyway, I think I've made my point. Now I'm not saying lobster/crab-lovers don't see the resemblance. I'm sure they do. I bring all this up to lead into the part that really baffles me... Why is the image of a lobster or crab considered so appetizing? I don't understand that. Fancy restaurants will serve lobster with the entire disgusting-looking creature intact on your plate. Why?

Again, I don't eat lobster, but if I did, I wouldn't want to be reminded of how disgusting-looking a creature the meat is from. I'd much rather have just the meat on some vegetables drizzled with some sauce. I think that would look far more appetizing that having a gigantic scorpion on your plate and eating the flesh out of its tail. It just doesn't make any sense.

tutusue
March 30th, 2007, 12:03 PM
[...]Fancy restaurants will serve lobster with the entire disgusting-looking creature intact on your plate. Why?[...]
I was raised on crustaceans and other creatures fresh from the sea so it's 2nd nature for me. What I have a hard time with is seeing the live lobster or crab in a tank in a restaurant and knowing that their time is about up. I can't choose one only to see it dead on my plate a bit later. But, that's my only hang up about the subject. Love the taste!

Keanu
March 30th, 2007, 12:10 PM
Cockroach legs and Guines pigs! oh and ass!

Pomai
March 30th, 2007, 12:32 PM
Cockroach legs and Guines pigs! oh and ass!That's the second time in this thread you mentioned @ss. lol. You must have had a really bad experience with that in the past. :p

zff makes a good point about crustaceans (shellfish) and their resemblance to land-bound insects and bugs. A cooked crab or lobster still intact, head and all, staring at me on the dinner table (or anything for that matter) can be disturbing and something I'd rather not see.

I'm not a crab fan anyway. For lobster, just give me the tail. Keep the head and everything else in the kitchen.

Leo Lakio
March 30th, 2007, 12:50 PM
That's the second time in this thread you mentioned @ss. lol. You must have had a really bad experience with that in the past. :pYou should read Anthony Bourdain's "A Cook's Tour," where he describes one dish he eats in Japan as "mountain rectum."

tutusue
March 30th, 2007, 03:24 PM
[...]... just give me the tail. Keep the head and everything else in the kitchen.
Jeez...you sound just like my ex-husband! Oh wait...that's way too off topic for this thread!

Meeeeeeemorieeeeees! :D