Grading the Governor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grading the Governor

Last week Sunday, August 28, marked Governor Linda Lingle's 1000th day in office. Understandably, this was overshadowed by Hurricane Katrina and the flooding of New Orleans, but the Gov's office prepared a nice press release and booklet (caution: it's a 16MB pdf file) about her administration's accomplishments.

So what do you think? Has the Gov done good so far?

Re: Grading the Governor

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
    Last week Sunday, August 28, marked Governor Linda Lingle's 1000th day in office. Understandably, this was overshadowed by Hurricane Katrina and the flooding of New Orleans, but the Gov's office prepared a nice press release and booklet (caution: it's a 16MB pdf file) about her administration's accomplishments.

So what do you think? Has the Gov done good so far?
    I think so. Macro POV: I appreciate having a legislative branch that is dominated one way and an exec branch that tilts towards the other. There have been a few examples where they each managed to piss off segments in the community, and I would say the net result is that everyone in Hawai'i has won some, lost some. That speaks of balance, imo.

pax

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
      I think so. Macro POV: I appreciate having a legislative branch that is dominated one way and an exec branch that tilts towards the other. There have been a few examples where they each managed to piss off segments in the community, and I would say the net result is that everyone in Hawai'i has won some, lost some. That speaks of balance, imo.
      Well, "balanced" she appears to be now. From her reviews in the press, I think she's managed to piss off both political parties at one time or another, which is always a good sign. It'll be interesting to see how she fares in her re-election bid. I was somewhat surprised that she wasn't tapped for some plum position in the White House last year given how much stumping she did for the Bush team, but I think that was a good thing for Hawai'i. After how she handled the gas cap implementation issue, I think she actually does have an akamai head on her shoulders. I think she and Mufi really are more interested in helping the citizens than they are aspiring to a higher political position. I didn't think she was particularly effective when she was the Mayor of Maui County (but then again, her Democratic predecessor was worse), but she seems to be growing quite capably into the gubenatorial role.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Everything she does is a production always does things that will only make her look good, ass kisser, air head

Comment

tomsdad5, if you don't like the Gov, you gotta give some better reasons than that. Otherwise we'll assume you're a troll and diss you mercilessly.

Comment

Hmmm, I like Gov. Lingle! My daughter showed her around Iraq when she visited there. My daughter told me she was personal and when the cameras was off, was the same caring person she is. So I don't think she is an air head or an A$% as someone earlier mention. Everyone has their right to their own opinion, after all this is AMERICA! Linda Lingle will get my vote again!

Lynn Vasquez
            mom three soldiers
            Last edited by 1stwahine; September 7, 2005, 09:41 PM. Reason: spelling!
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by tomsdad5
              Everything she does is a production always does things that will only make her look good, ass kisser, air head

Let's just say Linda Lingle has been focused on her "package" since she got involved with Hawaii politics. Remember, prior to being a politician, she was a journalist and wrote on Molokai and other places here in Hawaii. Sure, Nick Cutter is her uncle. She had the benefit of Kitty Lagareta's expertise with Communications Pacific keeping her PR machine running well and on time. But she's been known to even kiss off Kitty, partly by hiring Russell Pang away.

Give her credit. Here she is in Hawaii, a tall, single, Jewish woman and governor to boot. I think she does a good job keeping whatever is going on in her private life to herself. Because she knows all too well how to mix and match to keep the formula that has her appear in control and on top of the issues.

There are things about her and her administration I don't like. But there are things that I do. She plays it too safe sometimes. But she's also not afraid to kick the ball back to the city (transit).

I think it's kinda funny that her communications director, Lenny Klompus, is in "Guys & Dolls" with Tina Shelton.
              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
              X