X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple iPod nano

Oooooh aaaaaah. I want one.

Re: Apple iPod nano

Wow, I thought I was going to be looking at that stupid new iPod cell phone... but this, I likey...

Makes me wish I didn't buy that iPod Shuffle a few months back.

Comment

Arrgh! I've barely broke in my original iPod when the mini came out. Got that warmed up, and the shuffle came out. I've barely used the shuffle, it seems, and now this!

waaah! waaah! waaah!

It's adorable! I must have one.

Comment

In time I think most if not all of Apple's iPod lineup will use flash memory instead of the min-hard drive, that is now only available in the standard iPod (photo) models. How big of a capacity can Samsung and other flash memory vendors create? So far the 4 gig on the new iPod nano is the biggest that I know of. Will there be a 30, 60GB flash memory chip available in the not so distant future to replace the hard drives in the current iPods? Time will tell.

The thing I like about the flash memory iPods is that there are that much less moving parts in them, which I translate to (hopefully) a longer lifespan for these devices. I mean in time a hard drive will crash and burn.

BTW, here is the link to the Motorola iTunes phone, in case anyone is interested:

http://www.apple.com/itunes/mobile/

I'm sure this will not appeal to everyone, but as Apple claims, this is the FIRST iTunes phone. So you can expect that there will be others to come and hopefully better designed than this one.
        I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

And FYI, don't go to the apple store expecting it there. I was there for a lunch break, and in 10 minutes, 13 people asked the salespeople if they could see the nano.

I just hope the battery last long (probably more than 2 years) or atleast they'd give iPodders a discount when purchasing another one.
          How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

The built-in battery will always be an issue for the iPod until they (hopefully) make it user accessible so that we can change them on our own when they wear out. Now the only hope we have is to go with third party battery resellers and installers, chance it and install the battery on our own, or resign ourselves to just run worn out iPods on AC power only. Of course what they really want you to do is buy a new iPod.
            Last edited by mel; September 7, 2005, 08:02 PM.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Palolo Joe
              Wow, I thought I was going to be looking at that stupid new iPod cell phone... but this, I likey...

Makes me wish I didn't buy that iPod Shuffle a few months back.

Hmmmm that's the kind of statements I've been hearing from Apple owners of anything. Apple hooks consumers on first generation cool stuff then comes out with the next model for cheaper and with better options.

Even the Ipod hackers are saying that Ipod has reached it's limits when it comes to hackability.

I'm still waiting for the Ipod with bluetooth earbud connectivity and XM receivers built in...oh yeah and cell phone. I saw the new Ipod cell phone
              http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ellphone_x.htm
              and that in itself is looking good to me. Now if they can only incorporate a garage door opener with that thing...
              Last edited by craigwatanabe; September 8, 2005, 08:35 PM.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                I'm still waiting for the Ipod with bluetooth earbud connectivity and XM receivers built in...oh yeah and cell phone. I saw the new Ipod cell phone
                http://www.usatoday.com/money/indust...ellphone_x.htm
                and that in itself is looking good to me. Now if they can only incorporate a garage door opener with that thing...
                With those things, the battery will only last a couple hours.

That's the bad thing about combining a lot of things into one product: having a cell phone, MP3 player, PDA, word processor, food processor, lighter, flashlight, etc all in one gadget, but what if one breaks, or it gets lost? Its like all-in-one machines: it may save space on the desk and incorperate a lot of good things into one, but if you need to send it to service or you run out of ink, you can't copy or fax until its fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                  That's the bad thing about combining a lot of things into one product: having a cell phone, MP3 player, PDA, word processor, food processor, lighter, flashlight, etc all in one gadget, but what if one breaks, or it gets lost? Its like all-in-one machines: it may save space on the desk and incorperate a lot of good things into one, but if you need to send it to service or you run out of ink, you can't copy or fax until its fixed.
                  Yep, that is one reason I like component stereos and component desktop computers. The only exception I make for all in ones, are laptops... I mean there is no way you cannot have some essential things not built into a laptop like CD/DVD drive, built in ports, screen, keyboard, trackpad, etc. Good thing for laptops is most have enough ports so that you can plug in other components that are compatible with your desktop....

The idea of a do-it-all in one device iPod does not appeal too much to me. I would never buy the iPod phone, and I am not too crazy about the iPod photo I already own. It's a great MP3 player, but I don't keep too many photos in it. The only reaosn I bought it because at the time the 40GB model was being sold at a very good close-out price and I snapped it up.

I find my smaller iPod Shuffle to be more rugged and possibly more durable than the Photo. So like the iPod Photo, I only use it at home or in the office, but never take it outside or anywhere it can be roughed up. The shuffle on the other hand has been nearly everywhere I go.

I suspect the iPod Nano will be more durable than the iPod Mini it replaces. Mainly because like the Shuffle the Nano runs on built in flash memory.
                  I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                    I'm still waiting for the Ipod with bluetooth earbud connectivity and XM receivers built in...oh yeah and cell phone.
                    Yeah, bluetooth earbuds! I always get the wires tangled up when I'm listening and walking around. I don't mind a wired set of headphones when I'm sitting down, but for active use I want something with no wires.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                      Yeah, bluetooth earbuds!
                      Clearly, you are not a teacher. Do you know what a pain bluetooth earbuds are going to be for me at work?
                      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                        Clearly, you are not a teacher. Do you know what a pain bluetooth earbuds are going to be for me at work?
                        You're right. Ooooh, the possibilities.

Comment

Slight topic veer:
                          Is flash memory really memory, or is it storage? This bugs me more than it should, I suppose, but then so does the word "blog." I'm slow to jump on changes in the already-established lexicon, especially when the changes are the result of misnaming something rather than the result of creative renaming.
                          But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                            Slight topic veer:
                            Is flash memory really memory, or is it storage? This bugs me more than it should, I suppose, but then so does the word "blog." I'm slow to jump on changes in the already-established lexicon, especially when the changes are the result of misnaming something rather than the result of creative renaming.
                            Short answer: yes, it's storage. And yes, it's memory. The two are not exclusive.

Wikipedia's "flash memory" entry

How Flash Memory Works

An engineer's explanation of How Flash Memory Works

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                              Yeah, bluetooth earbuds! I always get the wires tangled up when I'm listening and walking around. I don't mind a wired set of headphones when I'm sitting down, but for active use I want something with no wires.
                              You mean like hearing aids? LOL

Comment

Working...
                              X