X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Terror Attack simulation story in SB

Okay there's gonna be another exercise

http://starbulletin.com/2005/09/07/news/index9.html

And it's limited to the first 100 play victims. Okay in any terror attack if the number of dead and or dying is limited to 100 victims and knowing that in advance then of course you'll be somewhat prepared.

I suggest at the day of the event, thousands of volunteers pour into the triosh area and overwhelm the care providers the way it would really happen and THEN let's see how prepared we are to a terror attack.

When the director of the event starts telling those to leave the area, cameras will tell the story as to how ill-prepared we are to handle a real life scenerio and how administrators deprived many of much needed emergency treatment...Hmmmm doesn't this sound all to familiar with Hurricane Katrina?
    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Re: Terror Attack simulation story in SB

And don't forget, it costs $25 per person to be a victim.

Comment

amazing isnt it?

Comment

If I got to pay $25.oo to be a victim, I going make sure I get my money's worth. I one mental, physically handicap victim...man, whoever got to help me going work damn hard! Infact, going take three or four of them cause I can sure ack like the real thing happening, I took Drama @ McKinley under Nakamoto! heheheh

Auntie Lynn

I've been trying to register. I can't get through. Is anybody else getting problems or is it just me?
        Last edited by 1stwahine; September 7, 2005, 01:59 PM.
        Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
        Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Originally posted by Honolulu Star-Bulletin
          The public, during a three-day summit in Waikiki, is invited to test how it would respond to terrorist attacks in Hawaii.
          Well, the lead alone tells me that this exercise is for people in the community, not for those in government. In that sense, it's not like your typical terror attack simulation.

If that's not enough, there's this paragraph a little lower:

Originally posted by Honolulu Star-Bulletin
          Vice Director of Civil Defense Edward Teixeira said conducting exercises is one way to develop and improve plans for dealing with natural disasters, and similar techniques can be used to increase preparedness in the community against terrorist strikes.
          Again, it's stressed that this event if for community preparedness, not for those relief workers who would be called into action during such an event.

Originally posted by Maj. Gen. Robert Lee
          "This community response exercise will provide participants an opportunity to address their reactions to terrorist attacks in Hawaii and the measures they would take to protect themselves and their fellow citizens."
          So it seems to me the limited enrollment and $25 fee is appropriate. It's like signing up for a workshop as part of the conference.

Comment

Well, it is being held at the Hilton Hawaiian Village. I guess for $25 they'll probably at least give you a nice buffet lunch.

Comment

And you can take a walk after and go visit the penguins...

Comment

Interesting. It does sound like a fun opportunity to set up our civic leaders to be, what is it, punk'd? Just have folks show up in Star Trek uniforms, zombie costumes, circus outfits and funny hats, flailing and falling and making random beeping noises.

Honestly, though, I hope the exercise goes well. A simulation might present only a fraction of the totality of a real emergency, but every little bit helps. Especially if it's something that's done regularly.

To think, only a few months ago did agencies around the New Orleans area hold a "tabletop exercise" to imagine "Hurricane Pam" striking and overwhelming the levies. They were still only writing up the minutes of the drill when the real thing hit...

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Interesting. It does sound like a fun opportunity to set up our civic leaders to be, what is it, punk'd? Just have folks show up in Star Trek uniforms, zombie costumes, circus outfits and funny hats, flailing and falling and making random beeping noises.
                  Did someone say zombies?

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                    Did someone say zombies?

damn, I did not need that as the last thing I see before I go to bed. Now I have to surf around for something "cleansing." Bad Glen Miyashiro. Bad. Bad. Bad.
                    Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Hee hee hee.

Comment

You know, the question immediately came to mind, "Why is the scenario a terror attack when this exercise is coming on the heels of one of the worst natural disasters in our nation's history?" Then I hit this paragraph in a Newsweek piece:
                        Not only did the Bush administration slash funding for natural-disaster planning this year, the state directors charged, Homeland Security—acting under a directive signed by the president—has geared almost all planning exercises with the states to responding to hypothetical terror attacks such as radioactive “dirty bombs” or anthrax attacks rather than far more common, and costly, disasters such as hurricanes, tornados and floods.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          You know, the question immediately came to mind, "Why is the scenario a terror attack when this exercise is coming on the heels of one of the worst natural disasters in our nation's history?" Then I hit this paragraph in a Newsweek piece:
                          Maybe the planners think the terrorists will see the US in a momentary state of weakness and want to strike while we're vulnerable? Our plight is well known around the world now, thanks to the media.

Miulang
                          Last edited by Miulang; September 8, 2005, 08:53 AM.
                          "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Another scary thing just came to mind: IF the terrorists see America in this weakened state, and IF they decide to pull another 9/11 in the middle of this tragedy, would the same people who mucked up the relief efforts on the Gulf Coast be held liable for an event like that too, since it was because of their ineptness they caused the country to become weak, which then allowed the terrorists to attack?

Miulang
                            "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

You know now that the world knows that New Orleans's weakness is in it's levies, wouldn't that make for an interesting target by our beloved terrorists! A few well-placed bombs along several points on just one levy would do it to New Orleans all over again!

The sad part is that no one would be evacuated because there would be no fore warning of an imminent flood so the death count would be tremendously higher than Katrina's.

That's spooky and very possible. How well-protected are those levies from terroristic acts?

Comment

Working...
                              X