Hawaiian Sovereignty Groups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawaiian Sovereignty Groups

I followed a link in another thread and discovered "FreeHawaii.org," the "Kingdom of Hawai`i," and what the site calls the coronation of "King Akahi Nui."

This group might be common knowledge in Hawai`i, but here in Louisiana, I've never heard of it before.

From the vibe I'm getting on the boards, I'm assuming this guy has no credibility at all, so I'm beginning to assume he's a crackpot?

I can probably find all this out on my own with a bit of research, but I suspect there are many more groups, and I have absolutely no idea what those groups are, or what their reputation is.

Can someone give me the basics, please?
    ~'Ailina

Re: Hawaiian Sovereignty Groups

Originally posted by Ailina
    I followed a link in another thread and discovered "FreeHawaii.org," the "Kingdom of Hawai`i," and what the site calls the coronation of "King Akahi Nui."

This group might be common knowledge in Hawai`i, but here in Louisiana, I've never heard of it before.

From the vibe I'm getting on the boards, I'm assuming this guy has no credibility at all, so I'm beginning to assume he's a crackpot?

I can probably find all this out on my own with a bit of research, but I suspect there are many more groups, and I have absolutely no idea what those groups are, or what their reputation is.

Can someone give me the basics, please?
    I don't think Akahi Nui is a crackpot (he traces his roots to Liliuokalani), any more than Bumpy Kanahele is a crackpot. Bumpy is from the more activist segment of the kanaka maoli while Akahi Nui is trying to change the world's opinion by being officially recognized by the United Nations. The real problem the kanaka maoli have is with almost everything related to them, different factions have different opinions, just like in the "real" world. So regardless what happens with the Akaka Bill, there will still be internal squabbling among the different factions (another activist group is Hui Malama). I always thought there needed to rise from the ranks of the kanaka maoli another Kamehameha I to unite everyone. The sovereignty movement just hasn't produced any real charismatic person yet to take up the cause, which will ultimately, I think be its downfall.

I'm still trying to track down which group created the "other" Kingdom of Hawai'i flag that I've seen: the one with the bands of yellow and green with the kahili in the middle. That one may be from Bumpy's group.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; September 8, 2005, 06:36 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

The people who created the "Ku I Ka Pono" red t-shirts are from an organization called 'Ilio'ulaokalani (www.ilio.org). They're an umbrella organization for groups concerned with the issues surrounding KSBE, Kukaniloko and Pohakuloa, Mauna Kea, the Northwestern Hawaiian Islands, and the Ali'i Trust Lands. These groups aren't really talking about sovereignty per se, though, just restoration of the environment and in the case of KSBE, the admission policies. I don't know what I'd call this faction, except maybe political activists.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Slow internet connection....

Jonah K
        Last edited by Jonah K; September 8, 2005, 07:49 AM. Reason: Double Post
        Ā Ē Ī Ō Ū ā ē ī ō ū -- Just a little something to "cut and paste."

Comment

Originally posted by Miulang
          I don't think Akahi Nui is a crackpot (he traces his roots to Liliuokalani), any more than Bumpy Kanahele is a crackpot. Bumpy is from the more activist segment of the kanaka maoli while Akahi Nui is trying to change the world's opinion by being officially recognized by the United Nations. The real problem the kanaka maoli have is with almost everything related to them, different factions have different opinions, just like in the "real" world. So regardless what happens with the Akaka Bill, there will still be internal squabbling among the different factions (another activist group is Hui Malama). I always thought there needed to rise from the ranks of the kanaka maoli another Kamehameha I to unite everyone. The sovereignty movement just hasn't produced any real charismatic person yet to take up the cause, which will ultimately, I think be its downfall.

I'm still trying to track down which group created the "other" Kingdom of Hawai'i flag that I've seen: the one with the bands of yellow and green with the kahili in the middle. That one may be from Bumpy's group.

Miulang
          There are plenty of kanaka maoli that can trace their roots back to Kamehameha, Kaumuali'i, and Lili'uokalani (who didn't have any offspring of her own); however, few give themselves the title of "King" or "Queen."

Cheers,

Jonah K

Comment

I used to hear a lot about Poka Laenui (formerly known as Hayden Burgess) -- what's he up to these days? And how does he fit in with all these groups?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonah K
              There are plenty of kanaka maoli that can trace their roots back to Kamehameha, Kaumuali'i, and Lili'uokalani (who didn't have any offspring of her own); however, few give themselves the title of "King" or "Queen."

Cheers,

Jonah K
              Very true, Jonah. But maybe that's the problem with the sovereignty movement. More people who are descended from the ali'i haven't stepped up to lead the kanaka maoli. If there cannot be one strong voice among the others, how is the movement ever going to move forward? Why do you think that is? Apathy? being too comfortable? Surely the children of the ali'i must still feel some obligation and compassion toward the maka'ainana; otherwise, why are there all these issues surrounding the last wishes of Liliuokalani?

Miulang

Comment

More people who are descended from the ali'i haven't stepped up to lead the kanaka maoli.
                Er, I suppose, but the solution isn't for someone to arbitrarily assume a position of authority, on the basis of royal lineage or not.

As a part-Hawaiian, I don't feel as if there's been any shortage of people trying to "step up to lead the kanaka maoli." The problem, primarily, is that there are too many of them. And while I agree the only way for progress (or even to stem the bleeding) would be for greater unity, there are just too many fundamentally different views on "how things should be" for there not to be disagreements. Saying Hawaiians should all agree is like expecting all African Americans to agree or vote a certain way.

Disagreements are natural. It's how they're handled and how the unavoidable conflict is managed is what's key. The fact that the opposition of some Hawaiian groups has been co-opted by non-Hawaiian, Mainland groups as part of a campaign against the Akaka Bill is worrisome to me.
                Your comment reminded me of the whole brouhaha eight years ago over Abigail Kawananakoa's choice of seating during a Life magazine photo shoot...

Really, though, this thread has made me curious, what are the different groups? Who are the various leaders and what are the linkages and rivalries? Lots of names come up a lot, but the mix is so deep that I can't keep them straight.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                  Really, though, this thread has made me curious, what are the different groups? Who are the various leaders and what are the linkages and rivalries? Lots of names come up a lot, but the mix is so deep that I can't keep them straight.
                  I'm very curious, too. An analogy for this situation that just popped into my head is what's going on with the handling of disaster relief in the wake of the hurricane. Lots of good intentioned people (we won't talk about the bad ones ) with no clear plan of how to reach the objective, which is restoration of the Gulf Coast.

Miulang

Comment

From what I read here a lot of these groups have a leader singing the song from the Lion King " I Just Can't Wait To Be King". Don't they get the whole media campain about how a group of sticks can't be broken... but alone they snap. I agree they need a Kamahameha to rise up and unite all the groups... but Auwe! It will never happen... Too much pilikea in the "movement".
                    Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
                    Flickr

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                      I used to hear a lot about Poka Laenui (formerly known as Hayden Burgess) -- what's he up to these days? And how does he fit in with all these groups?
                      Aloha Glen,

For the most part, Pōka's been chillaxin' in Wai'anae, writing, and doing and doing an occasional lecture here and there. He was probably one of the first to notice the "cult of personality" surrounding some of the leaders in the Hawaiian sovereignty movement. For some activists, like Bumpy Kanahele, I'd say that Pōka is a sort of "intellectual godfather."

Cheers,

Jonah K

Comment

Very true, Jonah. But maybe that's the problem with the sovereignty movement. More people who are descended from the ali'i haven't stepped up to lead the kanaka maoli. If there cannot be one strong voice among the others, how is the movement ever going to move forward? Why do you think that is? Apathy? being too comfortable? Surely the children of the ali'i must still feel some obligation and compassion toward the maka'ainana; otherwise, why are there all these issues surrounding the last wishes of Liliuokalani?

Miulang
                        Aloha Miulang,

There are quite a few people that are descended from the ali'i and they form a cross-section of Hawaiian society. Some are rich and some are poor. Some are well-educated and some dropped out of high school. Overall, other than having ali'i blood, the descendants of the ali'i are the same as other Hawaiians.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
                          Aloha pzarquon,

Give me a little time and I can probably shed a little light on this. At one time or another, I've met and talked with most of the leaders of the different Hawaiian sovereignty groups.

Cheers,

Jonah K

Comment

Aloha Jonah:
                            I have another question for you to mull over: if the Akaka Bill fails (and I suspect it will), what will the sovereignty movement do?

Mahalos,
                            Miulang

Comment

Give me a little time and I can probably shed a little light on this. At one time or another, I've met and talked with most of the leaders of the different Hawaiian sovereignty groups.
                              That would be great, Jonah. Over time, I would think such a list or overview - provided it doesn't get to the point that the "family tree" looks more like spaghetti - would be a great resource for people everywhere.

Would a wiki setup work at some point? It could allow collaborative creation and maintenance of such a resource... though conflicts and sabotage aren't unheard of with such an open framework!

Like I said, we all probably know a lot of the names and have specific memories of particular groups and movements, but it's hard to keep them straight.

Comment

Working...
                              X