Global Warming--fact or fiction?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Global Warming--fact or fiction?

I don't claim to know much about global warming, but this news article on MSNBC about changes in animal behavior is certainly food for thought--what do you think?

How Warming is Changing the World Kingdom

Re: Global Warming--fact or fiction?

What's controversial is the cause of the global warming. Is it due to the fact that atmospheric CO2 levels have gone up dramatically due to the past 150 years of fossil fuel burning? Or is it due to some natural cycle that doesn't have anything to do with human activities? This is what all the arguments are about.

Global warming itself is a fact. The polar ice pack is disappearing, glaciers are shrinking, hurricanes are getting stronger and more frequent (if you haven't noticed). Regardless of the cause, we've got to deal with the results.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
      What's controversial is the cause of the global warming. Is it due to the fact that atmospheric CO2 levels have gone up dramatically due to the past 150 years of fossil fuel burning? Or is it due to some natural cycle that doesn't have anything to do with human activities? This is what all the arguments are about.

Global warming itself is a fact. The polar ice pack is disappearing, glaciers are shrinking, hurricanes are getting stronger and more frequent (if you haven't noticed). Regardless of the cause, we've got to deal with the results.
      There are still a few people out there who don't believe in global warming, claiming instead that the measurements that scientists use are exaggerated/incorrect. There are others still who argue that fluctuations in the solar intensity of the sun are closely correlated with the warming and cooling trends in the Earth's temperature, and it this that is leading to the phonomenon of what is perceived as global warming.

Don't get me wrong--I'm not saying I don't believe in global warming, only that the whole world doesn't necessarily agree that it exists.
      Last edited by AbsolutChaos; September 8, 2005, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Regardless of who or what is causing global warming, it's getting frickin' hotter every year!

So I believe it's a fact! I think it's a combination of man and nature causing the increase in CO2 in the atmosphere and one way or another global warming would occur regardless. I believe mankind only speeded things up.

With the increase in natural pollution from increased volcanic activity spewing sulphur into the air by the millions of tons every day, it must have aggrevated the atmosphere immensely more than a century ago.

With the world becoming increasingly more industrialized in the latter half of the 20th century, I hardly believe that much human activity caused that much of a shift in our atmosphere. The oceans are supposed to cleanse the air of excess Co2 and covers 2/3's of the planet's surface. If you were to put all of the industrialized sectors of Earth onto a single surface it's still tremendously less than the remaining 1/3 of dry land available for human disruption.

It may be enough to trigger some localized weather phenomenon but I think it takes a much larger scale of disruption to tilt the Earth's atmospheric balance...like volcanic activity and there's been a lot of that going on during the latter half of the 20th century and all of this century so far.

Now here's a stupid angle on global warming: BLAME THE VEGETARIANS!!! They're eating all of the plant life that absorbs Co2!! Heck they blame the meat eaters for raising cows that contribute to the methane levels in our atmosphere, so as a carnivore I blame the vegetarians for eating all the oxygen producing vegetation that sucks in Co2!

If beans are the musical food (Frank Delima) and vegetarians eat more of it then they are equally to blame for the global output of Methane as cows are. Talk about clear cutting forests, vegetarians "clear eat" our Oxygen producing/Carbon Dioxide consuming natural resources.

I say we ban vegetarianism for the sake of our Keiki!!! Yeah that sounds stupid but then again IT'S TRUE!!! Albeit in a manini way.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

Working...
        X