Modern Devices You Do Without

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Modern Devices You Do Without

With our high tech world a big part of us these days, are there some new inventions or devices that you still do without?

For me it's cell phones. Have been resisting them for years. I just don't like the pricing structures of any of the plans. I also don't get many phone calls, don't want phone calls (espcially telemarketers) and don't make many outgoing calls myself. My good old fashion landline is just fine for me... and it doubles as my DSL line, so that is nice.

I also got rid of my Fax machine. I hate junk faxes.
    I'm still here. Are you?

Re: Modern Devices You Do Without

I staunchly refuse to own a microwave oven. I consider myself something of a decent cook, and I know that if I had a microwave, I'd allow myself too often to purchase heat-and-eat food. As it is, I don't keep very much prepared foods in my house, which only means that I eat out far too frequently!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

I still don't have a ATM or debit card and no longer a credit card. No cellphone either. Do need my computer for emails and internet and my GPSr for geocaching hobby. Guess I'll keep the car for now anyway.
      Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I used to have a celluar phone but not any more. My PDA been dead for 3 years now. I don't have an electric can opener. Never owned a fax. Don't have a microwave.

Comment

No electric can opener here.

No air conditioner.

No ice maker.

No fax.

Scanner does not function.

No electric tooth brushes.

Running Windows98 Second Edition.

Turquoise Duck
          Last edited by TurquoiseDuck; September 10, 2005, 10:24 PM. Reason: Adding on

Comment

I have an HP Printer that is not hooked up.

I have speakers that is not hooked up.

And...I don't have No radio in the house or car!!!!!!Distracting! bLAH, bLAH, bLAH!
            Last edited by 1stwahine; September 10, 2005, 11:06 PM.
            Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
            Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I have a lot of creature comfort devices that I can't seem to live without but the one modern device I gladly went without after slowing down by moving to the Big Island was my Palm M130 Color PDA.

After moving to Kea'au, I no longer was tied to schedules that my PDA so diligently kept track of. I gave it to my 18-year old boy who uses it to store his homework assignments on and his UH school schedule and social life on.

I do have a microwave oven though. A microwave oven uses less power than a toaster oven when it comes to heating up leftovers and here on the Big Island, electric rates are high so anything that uses less power is a plus.

And I do have an ice maker because with five kids living with me, two ice trays just doesn't cut it for our family.
              Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

The most useless piece of electronic equipment I have given up is the electric can opener (although it used to be the "dinner bell" for the cats until the cat food manufacturers came up with the pop top cans ). I don't have much use for a cell phone either (ironic, because I used to work in the telecommunications field), although I do have one just for emergencies that's got a Hawaii phone number (last earthquake here, when the landlines were jammed, about the only way to make calls was through the cell phone). Pagers for sure I could live without (had to carry one 24x7 because I was supporting a couple of mission critical applications). Don't carry a PDA or Blackberry. Don't have an iPod (don't want to get run over when crossing a dangerous street or walk into a telephone pole because I'm concentrating too hard on the music).

We have a portable air conditioner, but we haven't had to use it at all this year because the weather's been so temperate.

The microwave (use it to bake potatoes, soften butter, melt chocolate as well as reheat food) comes in handy, but if push came to shove, I probably could do without that, too. I could probably also do without the washing machine and dryer, but I'd kill anyone who denies me my hot showers!

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

We have a fully functional dishwasher but use it only as a place to put the stuff that we hand-wash to dry.

No AC in the house... most of my neighbors at least have a room unit but some spent buck$ for a $plit unit to AC their house. I like to just open windows and let the trades blow in... I'm a believer in ceiling fans too.

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne
                    We have a fully functional dishwasher but use it only as a place to put the stuff that we hand-wash to dry.
                    We do the same thing too! The dryer racks are a really handy way to dry your dishes and they're out of the way until you need them. We do run the dishwasher about once a month, just to keep the plumbing clear, but we've also learned to only run full loads so we don't waste water.

Miulang
                    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

I have to add telephone answering machine to tech that I have dumped. Why? I don't like automated telemarketing calls left on my machine. And I'm on the national "Do Not Call List." Sheesh.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Basically, electricity.

But I can't do without my computer, iPod, cell phones (actually, just the SIM card, without it, those phones are useless), internet, and alarm clock.
                        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Originally posted by cezanne

No AC in the house... most of my neighbors at least have a room unit but some spent buck$ for a $plit unit to AC their house. I like to just open windows and let the trades blow in... I'm a believer in ceiling fans too.

I have two functional dishwashers and three more in training...my kids. They eat, they wash.

I guess I'm a believer in Ceiling Fans since I got seven of them spinning round the clock. I'm thinking the amount of energy to keep 7 fans spinning must somehow equate to one central AC unit. Have you seen the size of those motors on Hunter Ceiling Fans?
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I don't have a dishwasher either except for one person... me, myself and I... and that is low tech.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                              I don't have a dishwasher either except for one person... me, myself and I... and that is low tech.

Same here. I think if I had one, it would be one more way rodents could get into the house. I do the dishes. Pretty soon my kids will.
                              One thing I had to have, and hadn't had for a very long time is an ice maker. Sheesh. If I can't afford the electricity to air condition my home, which doesn't exactly channel the breezy tradewinds through properly, than darn it I'm having an ice maker!
                              Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Working...
                              X