OHA may end up with Puna rainforest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OHA may end up with Puna rainforest

"Hawai'i's last large intact rain forest, a 25,856-acre forest in Puna valued by Native Hawaiians for its ecological and cultural significance, soon could be in the possession of the state Office of Hawaiian Affairs and protected from development.

The Board of Land and Natural Resources on Friday authorized Land Board director Peter Young to enter into an agreement paving the way to transfer to OHA several parcels known collectively as Wao Kele o Puna.

Cost of the purchase from Campbell Estate is estimated to be about $3.65 million.

The purchase would mark the end of a decades-old dispute involving Campbell, the state and Native Hawaiian groups, a dispute that led to protests and arrests in the late 1980s, when the rain forest was being eyed for development of geothermal energy. The tract is about three miles southeast of Pahoa High School on the Big Island...."

It would be a great accomplishment if this tracts of land can be turned over to a conservatorship which will protect it from development. I'm not sure OHA is the right vehicle to administer the sale, but at least it means that Wao Kele o Puna will be kept in its pristine state.

Miulang
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: OHA may end up with Puna rainforest

hi this is sansei and sorry miulang for my post and did anyone hear on tonight's news that the oha want's their bill to pass with the ceeded land's and this make's me unhappy since the hawaiian's may not remember who won WW2 for them and they didnt win the War on their own and that The hawaiian's should be greatful and not wanting every island they think they own for themselve's. again miulang,my truest apologies for this post.

well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post
      hi this is sansei and sorry miulang for my post and did anyone hear on tonight's news that the oha want's their bill to pass with the ceeded land's and this make's me unhappy since the hawaiian's may not remember who won WW2 for them and they didnt win the War on their own and that The hawaiian's should be greatful and not wanting every island they think they own for themselve's. again miulang,my truest apologies for this post.
      That still does not make up for the fact that US was involved in the illegal overthrow of the Hawaiian government before it became a US territory and later annexed.

Nor do we forgive-and-forget US promise to give back the ceded land.

You think that the US government screwed only with the Native American Indians under the guise of their Manifest Destiny?

One of the few things they did right was to give back my ancestors the Philippines after having occupied it since the American-Spanish Civil War.

You should know US history is not purely clean.
      Beijing 8-08-08 to 8-24-08

Tiananmen Square 4-15-89 to 6-04-89

Comment

Originally posted by Random View Post
        That still does not make up for the fact that US was involved in the illegal overthrow of the Hawaiian government before it became a US territory and later annexed.

Nor do we forgive-and-forget US promise to give back the ceded land.

You think that the US government screwed only with the Native American Indians under the guise of their Manifest Destiny?

One of the few things they did right was to give back my ancestors the Philippines after having occupied it since the American-Spanish Civil War.

You should know US history is not purely clean.
        And you should acknowledge that without US presence, many Hawaiians would have died to Japanese invasions during WWII. In fact, given the late entry of the US into the war, the Hawaiian population might have been nearly wiped out under a Japanese invasion.

Governments are overthrown, people are conquered. Is that ideal? No. But its the way the real world works.

And unless the US government is somehow stopping Hawaiians from advancing their socioeconomic status, then perhaps its time to move on from past events and build toward a future.
        Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

why would they have been wiped out by a japanese invasion.
          please explain

Comment

hi this is sansei and in response to Hitone,my Response is that if the U.S. with the american japanese werent fighting in WW2 and say the hawaiian population tried to fight The Japanese my Ancestor's they surely would've lost and the race would've been wiped out due to the way's my ancestor's fought.remember when they first bombed pearl harbor and then sunk the arizona battleship,this would've been why the hawaiian population would've been wiped out. I hope this may have help with your thought's?

Well thank's for your time

Comment

Originally posted by Hi Tone View Post
              why would they have been wiped out by a japanese invasion.
              please explain
              Your question brings to mind China, Korea, the Philippines. All had good size populations, but tens, possibly hundreds of thousands did not survive Japan's invasion/occupation. Hawaiians, their population far from similar numbers at the time, would probably have been almost decimated if not totally wiped out. Japan was not kind to any of the countries she invaded and occupied, nor was she kind to her own, ie. Okinawa. I seriously doubt she would have been any different with Hawai'i.

Yeah, it's all speculation, what ifs, whatevahs....but based on historical facts and Japan's past behavior, it's not impossible to come to the same conclusion. You can still say they would have spared the Hawaiians, but what were the odds back then? Me thinks not so good, ah?

Comment

Originally posted by dyasu View Post
                And you should acknowledge that without US presence, many Hawaiians would have died to Japanese invasions during WWII. In fact, given the late entry of the US into the war, the Hawaiian population might have been nearly wiped out under a Japanese invasion.

Governments are overthrown, people are conquered. Is that ideal? No. But its the way the real world works.

And unless the US government is somehow stopping Hawaiians from advancing their socioeconomic status, then perhaps its time to move on from past events and build toward a future.

hawai'i was a sovereign nation and it's monarchy would still be alive had the united states not illegally overthrown/occupied/invaded the islands. that being said, hawai'i would not have been involved in the WWII conflict. the hawaiian populous was was severly impacted by the introduction of diseases from foreigners prior to any of the WWs.

so, "if governments are overthrown, people are conquered," why did the u.s. apologize to the hawaiians? why didn't they uphold the hawaiian government? why hasn't the u.s. acknowledged hawaiians as natives like they have done for american indians? why have the american indians been given back land? why not the hawaiians? we, kanaka maoli, would love to, "move on from past events and build toward a future" but it all starts with the land.
                "chaos reigns within.
                reflect, repent and reboot.
                order shall return."

microsoft error message with haiku poetry

Comment

I doubt it. We were targeted because of the fleet of US battleships in Pearl Harbor.

It was a dumb move on the Imperial Japanese, but they got lucky because of some US servicemen weren't paying attention in a certain radio tower.

If that's the case, we did we respond with the Kuwait invasion? We should just acknowledge that Iraq rightfully earn the country as spoils of war. Last I checked, it's still the real world.

Comment

Originally posted by Da Rolling Eye View Post
                    Your question brings to mind China, Korea, the Philippines. All had good size populations, but tens, possibly hundreds of thousands did not survive Japan's invasion/occupation. Hawaiians, their population far from similar numbers at the time, would probably have been almost decimated if not totally wiped out.
                    I don't know about that. If the Native Hawaiians are as savvy as my father and the folks up in Ilocos Sur, Philippines, they'd hide in the mountains.

Comment

I don't know about that. If the Native Hawaiians are as savvy as my father and the folks up in Ilocos Sur, Philippines, they'd hide in the mountains.

and then we, kanaka maoli, would be arrested for "illegal occupation" of state and/or federal lands?!
                      "chaos reigns within.
                      order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by kani-lehua View Post
                        and then we, kanaka maoli, would be arrested for "illegal occupation" of state and/or federal lands?!
                        It was a state in 1941?

Comment

It was a state in 1941?

The Territory of Hawaiʻi, abbreviated officially as T.H., was established on July 7, 1898 and dissolved on August 21, 1959 when Hawaiʻi became a state. The U.S. Congress passed the Newlands Resolution which annexed the former Kingdom of Hawaiʻi and later Republic of Hawaiʻi to the United States. Hawaiʻi's territorial history includes a period from 1941 to 1944 when the islands were placed under martial law. Civilian government was dissolved and a military governor was appointed.
                          "chaos reigns within.
                          order shall return."

Comment

Originally posted by sansei View Post

well thank's for your time
                            So the entire basis of the United States involvement in World War II was to win the war for Hawaiians? Sansei, if I were to give you a penny for your thoughts, I 'd expect change.

Comment

I doubt it. We were targeted because of the fleet of US battleships in Pearl Harbor.
                              The Japanese goal was to conquer as much of the world as they could. It was a mistake for Japan to attack Pearl Harbor. They thought by crippling Pearl Harbor it would allow them to control the Pacific.

But this does not mean they would not have invaded Hawaii if the US wasn't here. They invaded a lot of technologically inferior island nations in the Pacific, to expand their territory. Furthermore, Hawaii would have been a very enticing strategic foothold for them in the Pacific, especially if they didn't have to fight the US for it.
                              Last edited by dyasu; March 22, 2008, 11:43 AM.
                              Eating my way through restaurants at http://www.nomnomfoodie.com

Growing a local Hawaii food blogger community at http://www.hawaiifoodbloggers.com

Comment

Working...
                              X