Have you changed your driving habits?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have you changed your driving habits?

With the high cost of gasoline, some Hawai'i drivers have started to modify their driving habits. Have you done that yet? If you haven't, at what point do you think you would change how/where/when you drive your car?

Maybe the high prices at the pump is the reason why gas consumption is either flat or going down in Hawai'i, even with the booming economy and large numbers of tourists.

Miulang
    Last edited by Miulang; September 12, 2005, 07:32 AM.
    "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Re: Have you changed your driving habits?

I work in the same area as my mom, so we would carpool now and then together from Mililani. Now? Even though I miss having my own space and music during the long drive, we carpool nearly every day - even though I now have the rare and likely temporary benefit of having parking downtown!

Comment

Yes. Although, I live right in smack of downtown Honolulu, I only use the car if I have to. For Doctor's appointment's, large grocery shopping and places that MAMA and Antonio needs to go too with me. Other than that I walk!

Having a car is a priviledge. Buying GAS is an honor!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

my driving habits have changed. Before I used to just pull into any gas station and filled it up. Now I hunt for the best deal in town.

The one really nice thing about these high gas prices is that my 18-year old boy who doesn't own his own car and wants to use the family van has this requisite before returning the car when he's done: He has to fill it up. And out here in Keaau where a just the drive into Hilo town and back will suck out a quarter tank not to mention tooling around the surf spots outside of Hilo.

At first before the prices began to rise wildly, he complained that he was tossing in about $30 to use the van. The last time (this past Friday) he spent almost $50 to put just over half a tank in.

Now he stays home and doesn't ask to use the van THANK YOU GAS CAPS...I got my van back.
        Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

I try not to speed now and use my cruise control whenever possible.
          Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Drive only to and from work. Stay home more. Walk to nearby stores when needed, avoid useless driving. Top off my tank when it hits 3/4 full.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

I drive an aging, gas-guzzling Ford Aerostar van, my wife a Toyota Corolla. The van is really nice for taking long trips because can stretch out in the back and sleep if you like. But, since the price hikes on gas, we use the Toyota instead...which is fine with me because then I don't have to drive.

Comment

When you're driving around looking for the cheapest gas to buy, make sure the price you see on the marquee is the price per gallon. Some of the owner operated gas stations can't afford to change out their gas pumps to accomodate prices per gallon over $2.99. So when you see a really really cheap price (like significantly less than anywhere else you see) that probably means the price is per half gallon, not per gallon.

Miulang
                "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

Since Miulang revived this thread I'll post my .02 cuz that's all I have after buying a tank of gas for my small car...for $42.00!

I have an 80 mile round trip to/from work. I also have an office in town that has a full bath of it's own and a futon sofa for when the work days are just too long to chance the commute.

A couple of weeks ago, after gas prices hit $3.50/gal. I decided to telecommute from home and drive into town only for casting sessions. As long as gas prices continue to hover over $3./gal I will continue to spend much more time working from home and drive into town only when absolutely necessary.

I, too, top off the tank at the 1/2 or 3/4 mark cuz there's less of the sticker shock factor! Ah, the psychological games we play!

Comment

I admit to being a lead foot, and while I've tried to slow down (knowing full well it especially doesn't help with all the stop lights on Likelike and Pali and Kahakili anyway, as well as because of the typical town exit slowdowns on H1), old habits die hard. I'm trying to be smoother and more gradual in my stops and starts at lights and stop signs, and I try to combine errands into one trip (though that is something I did before). It's difficult to accelerate slowly and slow down gradually when the impatient drivers behind me are right on my bumper, even though we are in an area of lots of red lights, grrr.

Even before the gas prices rose I preferred to walk as much as possible for my errands, but right now things at work are hectic and crazy, causing my colleagues and myself to work double hours and strange hours night and day, so I've been making daily trips via car from town to Windward side and back again daily (am having to care for kitties at boyfriend's place while he's away for 20 days, aauuggh!), as well as travelling back and forth between hospitals for work daily, including weekends, for the past week.

Looks like my attempts at gas conservation will be put on hold, at least until things at work finally settle down (hopefully after this week is over) and my stress levels can go back down as well.

Comment

I was impressed by what one company owner did for his employees. (Sorry if this was mentioned before I registered on HT):

"Pacific LightNet president Pat Bustamante announced today that every employee will receive a fifty dollar a month raise to help offset the rising cost of fuel. Bustamante did not know of any other company who was providing a similar increase in the state. As an added benefit Pacific LightNet, which previously had paid for half of the employees bus fare, will now cover the entire cost of bus fare for their employees to encourage the use of public transportation.

Said Bustamante, "Being a leading business in the state means not only being the first company to provide advanced services to improve the economics of our customers but, in light of recent events, also to be the first company to respond to a dramatic change in the economics of our employees."

Comment

I don't go out unless I have to.....no cruising!

Hubby and I are also looking to purchase another car for me. We took a look at the Toyota Highlanders. Really attractive and like my Honda Odyssey it's 4 cylinders.
                        Lovena

Comment

yea. cuz of all da crazies on da road, I find myself driving even more cautiously. and uh.. with more aloha than before. I remember back in the 60's everyone drive alot mellower. now that this island is becoming overdeveloped, and too crowded, big city problems and the rat-tail biting syndrome is taking over. so sad too bad.

Comment

Gas was $3.09 today at Lex Brodies. I went and topped off my 3/4 tank today. And even with my small Toyota Corolla it cost me $10 for a small amount of gas! Ouch.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Fortunately I work from home so that eliminates a huge amount of commuting. Even when I did commute, part of it was via bicycle from downtown all the way to Leeward Oahu. I'm not gonnna get into that whole issue of how the City and County pays only lip service regarding bikes as legitimate transportation.

A couple of years ago we also got a hybrid that gets 46 MPG average. So the SUV gets driven only to haul large loads or tow the boat.

And when the boat had to get a new engine, it was fitted with a 4-stroke which burns less than half the gas of the old 2-stroke.

Comment

Working...
                              X