Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The visit to Hawaii was all I could have hoped for

Hi Everyone,
    Wow what a trip.The property Kimo recomended was wonderfull,right on the most eastern tip of Kapoho overlooking a sheltered cove where many locals come to spear and net fish.I made friends right from the start after folks seen that I admired the way they lived and felt if I was lucky I would be able come and live the same way.A friend (Malu) tought me how to use a Kane Knife for eating and drinking coconuts and even invited my family to his home for there pot luck night at Uncle Roberts.That night I felt honored to be invited to experience the real Hawaii,we sat around drinking Kava and got to hang with Uncle Robert and his lovely family and wow what music!Watching his daughter holding our baby and seeing the other children comming up and playing with her was so nice,it was the first time my 5 month old really seemed to connect with other children.
    I met only one openly hostile man who refused to see past the color of my skin and thats ok.This forum tought me whats going on there and to give the locals space to accept me or not.The transplants I met where free thinking folks that respected the land and the natives.
    The free diving was awsome I swam with turtles seen 100's of fish even baged a 5 pound lobster in 12 feet of water skin diving!That earned a little respect from my friends since free diving lobster is a bit of work/skill.
    We were shown/introduced around and made to feel like family with so many in such a short amount of time is was magical.Today I woke up in Orange County(known to us as Stepford County) and woundered who's dumb Idea was it to get back on the plane

Re: The visit to Hawaii was all I could have hoped for

That was choice! Thanks for sharing. That's the real Hawai'i. What'd you think of Kava? My wife's Fijian and we drink it sometimes. Aloha and we wait for your return.
    Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

I'm happy to hear you and your family enjoyed your trip. Wow! Please come back to visit and spread the word of the magic and hospitality that awaits visitors!

Aunty Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

What a gracious and wonderful review of your visit to Hawaii. You are an ideal visitor, an ideal guest. You are welcome here anytime! I am so thrilled to hear that you were welcomed by this esteemed Uncle Robert and his family. May you treasure these memories forever!
        Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
          That was choice! Thanks for sharing. That's the real Hawai'i. What'd you think of Kava? My wife's Fijian and we drink it sometimes. Aloha and we wait for your return.
          It was interesting and seemed pleasant.I only drank a couple cups being carefull with anything that could mess with my sobriety.But looking back I probobly will be fine drinking more but caution is a good thing with an addictive nature

Thank you Aunty Lynn.As I mentioned in other posts my purpose in my visit was part of doing my footwork to find a healthy place to raise my little girl and I found Puna to be that place.I let my new friends know my feelings and plans and still felt accepted and see my little girl playing barefoot at Uncle Roberts and learning Hawaiin songs and dances,what a wonderfull life...

Comment

hey fondoo, i was just about to send a private message to you to see how things went but i see that that's totally unnecessary. so good to hear that you had a great time!
            525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Comment

I can't believe I'm writing this, Fondoo, but I am really touched by your positive experience here. Your wonderful review, in the midst of a lot of negativity around here lately, is exactly what I needed. I'm glad we (the residents of Hawaii) didn't let you down, and maybe when you move here for good, you should plan on spending a day on Oahu so we can hang.

And major props to Kimo for the recommendation. No wonder he's such a popular guy!
              But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
              GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

wow thank you for the responses,it makes me happy to feel welcomed to my new home even here on the net where we discuss many of Hawaii's troubles with the inflow of so many new people,your attitude speaks volumes thank you.
                Lol Scrivener I can't believe your post either see you in Oahu!My door will always be open as well.We plan on renting for a few months to realy get to know the area but hope to find 3-5 acres and place a couple conected kit homes so plenty of friends and family can hang.

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo

We plan on renting for a few months to realy get to know the area but hope to find 3-5 acres and place a couple conected kit homes so plenty of friends and family can hang.
                  Fondoo, just look how far you've come from your past years of drug addiction. Uprooting yourself and your family and moving from the mainland to a place like Puna takes guts and strategic planning on your part, which included picking the brains of some people in here. Congrats to you on your 180-degree turnaround, and good luck with your new life in Hawai'i.

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
                    This forum tought me whats going on there and to give the locals space to accept me or not.
                    Nice of you to give the folks here some props - those of us who are newbies (relatively speaking) need to do that more often.

Comment

I need to take a trip to Hawai'i to feel that vibe... Oh yeah I live here. Is Honolulu THAT out of it?

Comment

Originally posted by Menehune Man
                        I need to take a trip to Hawai'i to feel that vibe... Oh yeah I live here. Is Honolulu THAT out of it?
                        Kapoho is a loooong way from Honolulu, brah.

Comment

Das rite, yeah!

Comment

I live about 25-miles from Kapoho and it is definately tucked out of the way but to tell you the truth, I've lived in Honolulu for 44 of my 45 years of life and can tell you that once moving to Kea'au in Puna (where Kapoho is) I had a greater understanding of the term "Mana" and a greater respect for it and the Aina. Honolulu has a way of disgracing the Mana of Hawaii. Puna lives it.

Next time in Kapoho check out the hot ponds. It's a great way to relax.

By the way isn't Kava a Samoan drink? I never thought it was a Hawaii thing. Now Okolehau...that'll put you in la la land

As my drunk co-worker said at a retirement party for another co worker: Rememba...DA AINA and we all toast with our Steinlagers. Toast toast Okay brah now go sit down you making A.
                            Last edited by craigwatanabe; September 14, 2005, 11:34 AM.
                            Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

not sure the history of Kava but take a drive out to Uncle Roberts Kava bar down past the docks on 137 where the black sand beach used to be before the lava took it.The lava stopped just short of the driveway to Uncle Roberts place and I believe Saterday night is an all welcome pot luck.
                              One of the locals mentioned a drink called swipe that was passed to him there and he was too hung over for us to visit the day after lol be carefull with that one.Kava is trippy very relaxing but not mind altering

Comment

Working...
                              X