Why aren't there...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why aren't there...

With thanks to Ryan for closing that other thread, and with apologies to Arsenio Hall for stealing his concept, here are some "things that make you go 'hmmmm...' ":
    Why aren't there more African-Americans involved in water polo?
    Why aren't there more Caucasians involved in martial arts?
    Why aren't there more midgets and dwarves involved in rugby?
    Why aren't there more Alaskans involved in surfing?
    Why aren't there more Jamaicans involved in downhill skiing? (with apologies to the Jamaican bobsled team in the Olympics)
    Why aren't there more Arabs involved in ice skating?
    I'm sure there are many other examples of racial discrimination like the above and hope that you creative folks will come up with more.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Re: Why aren't there...

Originally posted by LikaNui
    I'm sure there are many other examples of racial discrimination like the above and hope that you creative folks will come up with more.

Oh boy, I do not think I will touch this one.

Turquoise Duck

Comment

I pondered and wanted to come up with something. I kept looking at the screen. Kept coming up blank staring at your answers and cracking up...No offense to anybody. It does fit the question, Why aren't there...

Thanks for the laugh!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

Usually, what sport people play is influenced by where they're from. If they don't have the right conditions to play the sport in their home country, the chances are slim that they'll play that sport when they move to another country (unless a friend introduces that sport to them, and they learn from him).
        How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

How come more Americans don't play Rugby? Other than not understanding the rules.
          Life is either an adventure... or you're not doing it right!!!

Comment

why aren't there more girls like me: haole with wild and wooly kinky frizzy hair?????
            Such is my cross to bear. It's OK, I've made my peace with it.
            Aloha from Lavagal

Comment

Why aren't there any caucasians in Sumo Wrestling?
              Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

Originally posted by Moto
                yea. discrimination.
                racism!

oh wait
                faht bah stuud...

nemmind.

Comment

Why aren't there more Samoan jockeys?

Comment

Originally posted by kimo55
                    yea. discrimination.
                    racism!

oh wait
                    faht bah stuud...

nemmind.
                    Okay, you got me there, but they're still underrepresented in that sport.
                    Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

I think there are. I've thrown in a link to a British sumo wrestling site, and from I construe from my reading of its pages, it appears that they take the sport seriously. They do make references in the web-site about qualifiying for the world championships to be held in Osaka next month.

I watch the bashos from Japan that ESPN televise on occasions, and I admit that I don't see any Caucasians in these particular events; from my limited knowledge of the bashos shown, the events being televised showcase the top sumo wrestlers in Japan. It would take, in my opinion, for a Caucasian to excel with these guys, to completely absorb the Japanese way of life..live, think, breathe, and talk the customs and ways of Japan...not an easy task for a Caucasian of occidental leanings to learn. It appears just being big and quick is not enough. (The love of my life was a Japanese girl..well..American girl of Japanese ancestry, born in Hawai'i, with parents from Okinawa, and some of the traditions of her parents were beyond my comprehension, no matter how hard I tried to understand. Maybe somethings are not meant for all to understand.)

Also: I often peruse the standings of recent bashos on the web from Japan, and I do see the occasional occidental-sounding name show up on the list; in particular, I see a wrestler with the name "Jordan" every now and then.

Anyway, here is the link to the British site:

British sumo wrestlers

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                        I know a few!

no, wait.

those are briefs. nemmind.

Comment

Originally posted by MadAzza
                          Hey! How about some compassion for the horses, huh

Why don't male gymnasts have to compete in the uneven parallel bars or balance beam?

Comment

Originally posted by toeknee
                            Why don't male gymnasts have to compete in the uneven parallel bars or balance beam?
                            That hurts to even think about it, and I'm a wahine...

How come there are no Nepali or Tibetan deep sea divers or surfers? Come to think about it, there aren't too many Samoan mountain climbers either...

Comment

I was surprised to find that there actually are five or six caucasian professional sumo wrestlers! We visited Japan last March and were lucky to catch a match in Osaka. Even though they're mostly bigger, or at least taller than the Japanese wrestlers, they (from Russia and other former Soviet Bloc republics) haven't yet mastered the techniques to get them to the top rankings (as did Hawaii-born Akebono and Musashimaru).

Coupla my pictures showing these behemoths:
                              Link to sumo website with "official" photos of foreign wresters

Comment

Working...
                              X