Fullscreen vs Widescreen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fullscreen vs Widescreen

I will admit that initially I didn't like to see the widescreen format on TV when it first came out but then again I didn't buy that much videos in the early 90's. When I started to buy DVD, I always try to get the widescreen edition.
    Fullscreen
    8.70%
    Widescreen
    78.26%
    Doesn't matter
    8.70%
    No opinion
    4.35%

Re: Fullscreen vs Widescreen

Widescreen, always. I used to not like widescreen, thought it was too small and the letterboxes were irritating. But now I can't stand fullscreen DVDs (unless it happens to be the only choice). Any fullscreen DVDs I had were returned/sold and we bought the widescreens. I guess my eyes just got used to it and realized that I actually did see more on the sides with widescreen.
    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

I always brought my VHS tapes in letterbox format so when DVD came out widescreen was a natural to me.
      Listen to KEITH AND THE GIRLsigpic

Stupid people come in all flavors-buzz1941
      Flickr

Comment

It It is an absolute crime to see letterbox productions chopped up and that terrible pan and scan employed.

Comment

I prefer widescreen in the hope that when I do get a bigger better flatter TV set, I'll get a more theater like experience. I just hope the DVD technology that we have all of our movies today on don't become obsolete too soon. I hate buying the same titles all over again because someone decided to switch the formats to something else rendering the current DVD tech obsolete.
          I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Definitely widescreen. That's how the creators intended their work to be viewed. We went with widescreen even when we had a little 13" television.

Pan-and-scan techniques have come a long way (before you could actually see the "camera" move around), and in the case of digital features they can actually recompose the actual scene to fit the smaller box, but...

Like Mel, if anything it's also part of the dream of someday having an obnoxiously huge plasma screen television from Costco!

Comment

Wal-Mart is selling some DVD titles at $4.88, the most recent titles are the full screen version.

Comment

I don't really care which one I use, however if I HAD to choose, I would choose fullscreen.
                backwoodlessons2

Comment

42" HI-DEF PLASMA

As long as it's "ON TOP TV" (as said in Pidgin), that's all that matters to me.
                  sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Full-screen versions of movies should not be made in the first place. Anyone who prefers full-screen to widescreen should watch a TV program instead. If you watch a theatrical-release film in full-screen format, you are literally missing 1/4 to 1/3 of the movie. Why bother? You are not seeing what the filmmakers worked so hard to create for you. How insulting. Their vision is ruined and the dumbing-down of America continues.

Comment

Yeah I've seen the difference between the two. They had it on the Die Hard
                      special edition DVD I bought. For me the letterbox liner on the top and bottom
                      is really stupid.
                      Check out my blog on Kona issues :
                      The Kona Blog

Comment

I want it in the format that it was made in.

I don't like any stretching or chopping from converting any format to the other.

Comment

Working...
                        X