Fix my ukulele

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fix my ukulele

Well, I could not afford a Kamaka so on a whim I bought a nice looking/sounding koa one from some guy who makes them at the swap meet. Good price, but that's cuz he's an unknown brand.

Ok, so maybe I should have saved for a Kamaka, but this is what I got.

Anyone play uke? My keys keep slipping the tune. I tighter their screws and it helps a little, but it's like they slip. Could the notches on my bridge at the top of the neck be the problem? Like they are pinching? I'm afraid to screw it up. Suggestions?

Re: Fix my ukulele

Originally posted by 2daypoi
    Well, I could not afford a Kamaka so on a whim I bought a nice looking/sounding koa one from some guy who makes them at the swap meet. Good price, but that's cuz he's an unknown brand.

Ok, so maybe I should have saved for a Kamaka, but this is what I got.

Anyone play uke? My keys keep slipping the tune. I tighter their screws and it helps a little, but it's like they slip. Could the notches on my bridge at the top of the neck be the problem? Like they are pinching? I'm afraid to screw it up. Suggestions?
    This may be off the wall totally....but, are you sure it is not just the strings stretching ? Just askin......

Turquoise Duck

Comment

I have an old 1970s era "Duke Kahanamoku" brand ukelele that is broken. The neck is somewhat disconnected from the body. The thing is still holding together but is not at all playable. Know of any craftsperson or firm that specializes in ukelele repair?
      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Go to the Kamaka factory on South Street. They fix all sorts of ukuleles I think.

Nice folks there, too!

Comment

Originally posted by TurquoiseDuck
          This may be off the wall totally....but, are you sure it is not just the strings stretching ? Just askin......

Turquoise Duck
          Nope... I have an electric tuner and the needle jumps back and forth wildly when I'm just plucking to tune...

Comment

Originally posted by TurquoiseDuck

Turquoise Duck
            Yeah new strings will take a while before they stay in tune. But if you say that tightening the screw on the tuner (I'm assuming you're using the peg-type) helps a little, then the tuner is most likely the problem. Also the nut (not the bridge) at the top of the neck should have all the slots filed to the size of the corresponding strings so that they don't pinch (too small slot) or buzz (too big of a slot)... and should slope towards the tuners so that the string actually just sits on a point on the nut.

Is it all strings or just one string that's outta tune?

Comment

Thanks for the reply.

All the strings tend to go out of tune. Yeah, the keys are peg type, and tightening still helps a little. I'll check the "nut".

Any recommendations on an inexpensive pickup?

Comment

How much does a good ukulele cost?

I just asked because this summer I picked up a cheap tourist one.. it cost $30.. I didn't think it would really play..yet it actually does.. and sounds alright.

(Never played the ukulele before, but the chords and such are real easy to pick up (if you know some guitar).. except that ukelele E-Chord!

Comment

i'm just a beginner and i found a pretty decent one for $65 at the aloha tower. the guy at the store must have pre-stretched the strings because it holds pretty well.

i hate the f chord on the guitar, kinda like the b on the ukulele.

and oh yeah, i forgot to add that if you fly with your ukulele, be sure to loosen the strings.

Comment

Originally posted by Lalalinder
                    and oh yeah, i forgot to add that if you fly with your ukulele, be sure to loosen the strings.
                    The pressure affects the strings?

Oh... I recently got a Dean Markley Artisit transducer pickup that looks like a wood button and stick to the face of the guitar. Not bad for $40.

Comment

Yes. If you don't loosen them up, the neck can snap.

Comment

The going out of tune thing on less expensive ukuleles is usually the result of crappy tuning machines. It's unfortunate, but true. One solution that a friend of mine told me about was looping a hair tie around the knobs. The only other options is new tuning machines. =P
                        I am Jack's absent signature.

Comment

Working...
                        X