PDA

View Full Version : What's for lunch - Chapter 6

MadAzza
September 13th, 2005, 09:33 PM
I have lived in Hawaii for about 13 years. Today I had my first Spam musubi. My very first. It was GREAT. It filled me up and kept me full all day and for most of the evening.

scrivener
September 13th, 2005, 09:51 PM
You never used your lighter to heat up the can? In the old days I used a streno stove to do that.
Helen, I work in a high school. We try to keep things like lighters far away from the kiddies, so I don't keep one on school grounds! Besides, I like them at room temperature. I like them better cold, out of the fridge, but I forgot to put the can in the fridge this morning when I got to school.

In Boy Scouts, we'd start a fire, put a water can over the flame, and everyone would toss their unopened cans right into the water. We did this with C-rations, too.

helen
September 14th, 2005, 04:40 PM
Hamburger, cheeseburger and a can of Mountain Dew.

helen
September 16th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Yesterday - bento and I think a bottle of water.
Today - couple of cheeseburgers and a bottle of Mountain Dew.

kimo55
September 16th, 2005, 12:06 PM
tamale beans rice

1stwahine
September 16th, 2005, 12:14 PM
Caldereta (goat stew). Told my boyfriend it was oxtail, he ate it too...he believed! :D LOL
I'm soooo naughty!

Auntie Lynn :p

kimo55
September 16th, 2005, 12:20 PM
what part of the goat gets stewed?

and why or how would goat be better or worse that the tail of an ox?

1stwahine
September 16th, 2005, 12:37 PM
what part of the goat gets stewed?

and why or how would goat be better or worse that the tail of an ox?

To answer your question Kimo, the succulent ribs of the goat. It is stewed to perfection in tomato sauce. Blended with red bell peppers and garbazo beans till the meat is deliciously falling off of the bones. Tender and hmmmmm so tasty as you sucked the meat and juice. Once you eat it, you will never go back to an OX-TAIL!

I hope that answers your question.

Auntie Lynn

kimo55
September 16th, 2005, 12:42 PM
sound purdy yummy, ribs being one o my faves...

Palama Kid
September 16th, 2005, 05:37 PM
(This occurred earlier this week in Las Vegas, but I couldn't get on a computer conveniently.)

My lunch was leftovers from Harbor Palace Seafood Restaurant, that had supposedly Cantonese food, in Las Vegas. To me, Cantonese food = Kow Yook . . . pork belly.

Found out you can get it, even though it's not on the menu. Man, with some leftover rice and crispy Gau Gee noodles (also not on the menu), leftovers were delicious ! My two ladies (one Filipino from the Philippines and one Japanese from Honolulu) also loved the food.

Kicker: This was in Las Vegas, so dinner (early breakfast?) was at 4 am; the place closes at 5 am. We were tired of oxtail soup at the California Hotel.

Second kicker: All menu selections were in Chinese / English / Tagalog. WTF ?!?!

helen
September 17th, 2005, 01:29 PM
The Saturday special at Mahalo Hawaii BBQ which is BBQ Chicken, Hamburger Steak, rice, mac salad, some chop cabbage and a large cup of Mountain Dew.

1stwahine
September 17th, 2005, 02:33 PM
Adult-sat MAMA and her friend at Hifumi Japanese Resturant. Talk about change in food quality. Yukky! The Shrimp Tempura was good. The Pork Sukiyaki presentation and taste very bad. The Sashimi --stringy and sick color pink. Chicken Teriyaki average. Butterfish looked and tasted as if boiled in water shoyu mixture instead of miso...horrible. We are patrons of this establishment since it first opened by it's first owners. They first came here from Kalihi.

Note: the Cultural Plaza is celebrating the Moon Festival. Lot's of festivities going on in the center court!

Update: It's 5:31 pm. I found out that Hifumi's was recently sold two weeks ago. Having been in the resturant business myself, I can not give a thumbs down yet. It would be unfair. I will give it another try in about a month and report to you back or you can go and give it a try and let us know.

It takes time to get adjusted like everything else. I wish them well! ;)

Auntie Lynn

pzarquon
September 17th, 2005, 03:45 PM
Belated congrats on crossing the spam musubi event horizon, MadAzza. My wife's lived here almost as long and has steadfastly refused to consume one.

Our lunch today was a bucket of Zippy's chili (fundraiser ticket purchase, of course) and rice. Tasty and simple.

TurquoiseDuck
September 17th, 2005, 06:54 PM
Sushi bar where the plates go for a ride past you.... lots did not make it past us, we grabbed them. It was delicious.

helen
September 19th, 2005, 11:16 AM
Chicken Ceaser salad, polish sausage and water from Costco.

Leo Lakio
September 20th, 2005, 10:08 AM
Yesterday) spicy tuna sashimi, donburi-style (over a bowl of sushi rice.)
Today) turkey & smoked havarti sandwich on sourdough.
Tomorrow) Thai for the whole office.

1stwahine
September 20th, 2005, 11:59 AM
Finally, I get to cook again. I'm making Port. Bean Soup from scratch. Ham Hocks ( 1 pkg), Port. Sausage (1 sliced-up), 1 29 oz. Tamato Sauce, 1 15 oz Kidney Beans, 2 stalks clean and sliced Celery, 1 large cleaned and sliced Carrot, 1 Onion sliced , 1Potato, Parsley chopped, 1 Bay Leaf, a handful Macaroni or spaghetti, 1/2 cup Cabbage, water (cover hamhocks)

seasonings include: pepper, salt/ msg (optional)

forgot my secret...add 1 chicken bouillon cube! :D

put everthing in pot, boil for 1-2 hours till ham hocks are tender like you! :p

EAT!

ono for stormy weather! :D

note: you can heat it up on a propane grill
if you don't have one...sorry.

Aunty Lynn

Albert
September 20th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Half-pound shoyu ahi. The "previously-frozen" kine, because the fresh is just too expensive right now.

Of course, it's like the difference between peas from a can and peas freshly picked from the garden.

pzarquon
September 20th, 2005, 12:58 PM
Korean-style BBQ chicken from Matters of Taste, the ground-floor eatery at Gentry Pacific Design Center (near City Mill on Nimitz).

http://static.flickr.com/30/45145247_53f7b54516_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/45145247/) http://static.flickr.com/28/45146394_298f3683bc_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/45146394/)

Pretty underwhelming. Food was mediocre to downright bland, portions were small, and prices high. I suppose their desserts are good and other sides, but... not sure why you'd choose it over Sam Choy's or even Zippy's across the street.

The company was great, though!

kimo55
September 20th, 2005, 01:24 PM
home made tacos:
avocado
habanero chiles
fried rice
hominy
cheese
scallions
mix mayo in to da mess
so ono.

LikaNui
September 20th, 2005, 01:57 PM
The company was great, though!
So, what, you just gonna leave us hanging like that?
Lucy, you got some 'splaining to do!
:p

Fondoo2
September 20th, 2005, 02:03 PM
So, what, you just gonna leave us hanging like that?
Lucy, you got some 'splaining to do!

lol ya spill pzarquon

pzarquon
September 20th, 2005, 02:06 PM
I should refuse to answer on principle for that "LOL," but... okay. :p

The company was Kilinahe (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/member.php?u=14) (my wife), Alex (our youngest son), and local food maven glossyp (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/member.php?u=558) and her partner.

1stwahine
September 20th, 2005, 04:13 PM
forgot 2 cloves crushed garlic (very important) for PBS! :p

Aunty Lynn

helen
September 20th, 2005, 04:30 PM
A late lunch of a couple of polish sausages and water from Sam's Club.

MadAzza
September 21st, 2005, 03:49 AM
I should refuse to answer on principle for that "LOL," but... okay. :p

The company was Kilinahe (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/member.php?u=14) (my wife), Alex (our youngest son), and local food maven glossyp (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/member.php?u=558) and her partner.

What do you mean, "partner"? Business partner? Or are you using the oddly disengaged, unromantic P.C. term for "lover"? I'm not criticizing, just curious. I hear "partner" all the time lately ... well, during the past 10 or 15 years, and I never know what it means any more. We (my friends) used to say "lover" for same-sex or opposite-sex couples; now people say "partner" for same-sex couples, but that just sounds so damn dull and boring for something that should be joyous and fun. Then again, if you're talking about a business partner, or a golfing partner, or a bridge partner, or whatever, then I guess ... that's different, and makes sense to me. Not that you care what I think ... these are just my late-night, can't-sleep thoughts on a subject that popped into my head as I was reading your post.

Um ... k'den.

Fondoo2
September 21st, 2005, 05:24 AM
"well howdy partner" <----wow never realized how much cowboys "get-a-round" :)

pzarquon
September 21st, 2005, 05:24 AM
You can ask glossyp, but I don't think it's relevant to the conversation here.

And... today's lunch will be whatever I can find downtown for (checks wallet) under $4. Maybe a couple of sushi rolls? Or summer rolls from the Vietnamese place in Pioneer Plaza? Anything but a Big Mac!

helen
September 21st, 2005, 11:45 AM
Turkey burger, hamburger and a bottle of water from the HCC Cafeteria. Would have like to have cheeseburgers but they ran out of the stuff, as well as mustard.

LikaNui
September 21st, 2005, 11:51 AM
Cheeseburger and fries from M&W Drive-In in Kaneohe.
And they got mustard. (waves to Helen)

kimo55
September 21st, 2005, 11:53 AM
omelettes here at home
scallions, avocado, cilantro, chile peppers, cheese, sausage inside.

ho broke da mout'

it has two names:

da Kimomelette

da Bomblette

1stwahine
September 21st, 2005, 12:04 PM
Hello fellow HT Ohana! Today, I went to re-try some products of "The Pastele Shop" at 2101 No. School Street, Phone 808 847-6969. Unlike, the first time many years ago...I was in for a delightful surprise!

I ordered 2 Panadesa (pastele meat turnover) $ 2.00 each
(Looks similar to a Zippy's Napple's Apple Turnover)

1 Pork Pastele $ 2.95

"Noma" the owner gave me a sample of their pastele lumpia.

When I got home, MAMA and I ate the food. It was delicious and the fillings were plentiful with meat. Seasonings were just right. Pastele Lumpia should be a bit more wet...too dry and should have a sauce to go with it. Perhaps a salsa sauce.

They offer various Potorican dishes. Their quality of food has changed for the better! :D

pzarquon
September 21st, 2005, 01:21 PM
Ended up at Quizno's. Haven't been there for ages, especially after Subway started toasting their sandwiches. I'd have expected Quizno's to have adapted somehow to the reconfigured, more direct competition, but... the prices were actually higher, the sandwiches (and drink cups) were noticably smaller, and... I really I don't think I'll be back.

scrivener
September 21st, 2005, 01:26 PM
Costco pizza, delivered by one of the mom's for a special activity today. It was quite good, for what it was. But then, you know what they say about pizza!

tiptoetulip
September 21st, 2005, 04:06 PM
D.O.E. cafeteria lunch: Burrito, corn, peaches, some kind of ono cake, chocolate milk. $3.

helen
September 22nd, 2005, 12:12 PM
2 cheeseburgers and a bottle of water - $4.95, at least today they had the mustard available.

1stwahine
September 22nd, 2005, 12:19 PM
Han Yang Special for MAMA
Steam Yellow Covina Fish
Fish Eggs Stew w/tofu
Kim Chee Assortments

Too much to eat. Didn't tell son-inlaw about fish eggs. He ate it. ;)

Auntie Lynn

scrivener
September 22nd, 2005, 02:31 PM
Cold pizza (leftover from lunch yesterday) and a Diet Pepsi.

pzarquon
September 22nd, 2005, 03:53 PM
Ah, I love Han Yang! Today I went with the daily special at Subway. I'm already hungry again.

Donna
September 22nd, 2005, 11:02 PM
Spicy Ahi Donburi and Miso soup from Ninja Sushi. (Paiea)

Oh-so-ono!

Surfingfarmboy
September 23rd, 2005, 01:22 AM
A rare break today for me from my usual lunch of plain peanut butter on white bread and two rice cakes. Today, I feast on a five piece box of inari, complete with gari and wasabi. I splurged today in honor of what passes for Aloha Friday around these parts.

helen
September 25th, 2005, 11:48 PM
Burger and fries at Big City Diner.

tutusue
September 26th, 2005, 12:35 AM
What do you mean, "partner"? Business partner? Or are you using the oddly disengaged, unromantic P.C. term for "lover"? I'm not criticizing, just curious. I hear "partner" all the time lately ... well, during the past 10 or 15 years, and I never know what it means any more. We (my friends) used to say "lover" for same-sex or opposite-sex couples; now people say "partner" for same-sex couples, but that just sounds so damn dull and boring for something that should be joyous and fun. Then again, if you're talking about a business partner, or a golfing partner, or a bridge partner, or whatever, then I guess ... that's different, and makes sense to me. Not that you care what I think ... these are just my late-night, can't-sleep thoughts on a subject that popped into my head as I was reading your post.

I hear ya on the insomniac thoughts! Been there...done that...and am doing it again! 'Partner' and 'Significant Other' seem to be interchangable. What ever happened to the good ol' 'boyfriend'/'girlfriend' references? I recently heard a young man (early 20s) refer to the young woman he lives with and who is also the mother of his child as his 'ol' lady'. Grrrrrrrrrrrr!

Oh...lunch? Yogurt with blueberries and granola with a dash of sugar free caramel syrup. Yum! Usually I have a 'chocolate breakfast brownie'. Double yum! Too busy to make 'em, tho'. But I'm so jonesing for one!

kevin_jay
September 26th, 2005, 10:43 AM
combo #2 at Taco Bell and a Mountain Dew....

helen
September 27th, 2005, 04:03 PM
Chicken ceaser salad, polish sausage and Diet Coke at Costco.

pzarquon
September 27th, 2005, 06:01 PM
I introduced my mom, wife, and kids to the Kulia Grill at the new UH Medical School building near Kakaako Waterfront Park. Of course, most of us had cheeseburgers (though my mom went with the beef burgundy). Delicious! And great company.

MadAzza
September 27th, 2005, 06:11 PM
I had my second-ever Spam musubi today. I was actually craving it. What's happening to meeeeeee??!!!

Oh, and then I spent five minutes flossing little green specks out from between my teeth.

lavagal
September 27th, 2005, 06:17 PM
I introduced my mom, wife, and kids to the Kulia Grill at the new UH Medical School building near Kakaako Waterfront Park. Of course, most of us had cheeseburgers (though my mom went with the beef burgundy). Delicious! And great company.

I have to go into town tomorrow. What are the hours of the Kulia Grill? I'd love to give it a try! Where do I park? How do I get in there?

Glen Miyashiro
September 27th, 2005, 06:28 PM
I have to go into town tomorrow. What are the hours of the Kulia Grill? I'd love to give it a try! Where do I park? How do I get in there?Here's a review (http://www.hawaiidiner.com/reviews/review.php?review=53) and here's the announcement from KCC (http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:8_mVbwa995wJ:kapio.kcc.hawaii.edu/upload/fullnews.php%3Fid%3D278+kulia+grill&hl=en&client=firefox-a) (cached copy, the original seems to have expired). Looks like the hours are 7 to 4, and parking is in the rear of the Medical School building. It's on Ilalo Street, a block makai of Ala Moana Boulevard, off of the Cooke Street intersection.

helen
September 28th, 2005, 02:49 PM
Chicago style hot dog and bottled water from Windy City Dogs, I think that is the name of the place in front of Home Depot.

kimo55
September 28th, 2005, 03:05 PM
corn tortilla quesadillas with habaneros!

whoooo boy howdy do I luv that endorphin rush. but I will pay for it tomorrow!
(Sorry; I meant; "tomarrow"... forgot where I was...)

pzarquon
September 28th, 2005, 03:11 PM
Combo pho from Cuu Long (?) on River Street -- the one right next door to the other pho place that always has a line out the door (To Chau).

LikaNui
September 28th, 2005, 04:15 PM
Loco Moco with extra gravy (though I certainly won't tell that to my doctor).

scrivener
September 28th, 2005, 04:46 PM
I had the cheeseburger and home-made potato chips at Kulia Grill on Monday. There's no denying that for the price (four bucks for the burger, a buck fifty for the chips), it's tough to beat. For a cafeteria, the place is very nicely put-together, too.

The burgers are sitting under a heat-lamp, waiting to be picked up, so there's no real wait-time, but this means that the tomato and lettuce aren't cold, if you prefer them that way. The burger is flavorful enough to take your attention away from that, though.

My one negative criticism is that the ground beef has been worked a little too much, resulting in a more processed-like patty texture than I prefer. When you're making hamburgers, you want to mix the beef up with the other ingredients just enough to get them combined, but not enough to blend them consistently, or the hamburger won't have that juicy, crumbly effect that separates the good from the adequate.

Still highly recommended.

Oh. Lunch today was two brown-sugar-cinnamon Pop Tarts.

lavagal
September 28th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Combo pho from Cuu Long (?) on River Street -- the one right next door to the other pho place that always has a line out the door (To Chau).

The one where the car drove through the window last week? Funny! The customers just sat there and continued to slurp. It must be THAT GOOD.

lavagal
September 28th, 2005, 04:51 PM
corn tortilla quesadillas with habaneros!

whoooo boy howdy do I luv that endorphin rush. but I will pay for it tomorrow!
(Sorry; I meant; "tomarrow"... forgot where I was...)

nah, nah, nah, nah. Just follow it with some ice cream or sorbet! And the next morning while in the bathroom just chant, "come on ice cream. come on ice cream. come on ice cream!"

Grow your own habaneros? Kid 1 bit into a scotch bonnet that was growing in the back yard while it was still on the plant. I think she wasn't even 2-years-old yet. Oh my gosh, I was so sad for her! When you bite one on purpose, that's one kinda pain. When you're a tot and you bite into it, that's a complete freak out. :rolleyes:

kimo55
September 28th, 2005, 05:03 PM
just chant, "come on ice cream. come on ice cream. come on ice cream!"

that's what SHE said!

kimo55
September 28th, 2005, 05:07 PM
just chant, "come on ice cream. come on ice cream. come on ice cream!"

OR....

So...this penguin goes out for a Sunday drive and his car breaks down. Luckily for him there is a garage nearby and he coasts on in.
The mechanic says "I'll take a look at it but it's gonna be awhile."
The penguin says, "That's okay, I see an ice cream stand just down the road and I think I'll go get myself an ice cream cone."
So he waddles over to the stand and gets himself a double-scoop vanilla ice cream cone. It's a little tricky holding on to it with his flippers, and he gets ice cream on his beak and his face. By the time he's finished the cone, he's back at the garage.
The mechanic looks up from under the hood and says, "Looks like you blew a seal."
The penguin replies, "no, that's just a little ice cream."

helen
September 29th, 2005, 01:13 PM
Plate lunch of shoyu pork with brown gravy. brown rice, mix of cooked veggies and a bottle of water.

pzarquon
September 29th, 2005, 01:50 PM
The ramen combo (pork ramen, fried rice, and four-piece gyoza) from Yasura Japanese restaurant at the top of Smith Street (at Beretania). What a deal for $6.50!

Thank god tomorrow's payday, though. I owe my kids a treat!

Quark
September 29th, 2005, 06:12 PM
I had some ono curry ramen at Yasura. It was my first time there and what a great find! Not too many places downtown that serve up good ramen.

jdub
September 29th, 2005, 09:56 PM
i had a kick-ass barbeque cheesburger from queen's inn or plate lunch or whatever at queen and cooke streets...cheap, fast and damn tasty...their mini bbq chicken plate isn't that mini either...nice folks in there, too...

helen
September 30th, 2005, 10:42 AM
Tuna sandwiches, spam musubi and a bottle of water.

alohabear
September 30th, 2005, 11:47 AM
School Lunch at Hilo High
Oven baked Chicken
Whipped Potatoes
Buttered Broccoli
Friut Cocktail
Buttered Roll
and Ice-cold milk ;)

kupomog
September 30th, 2005, 12:52 PM
Leftover pork adobo my mom bought from that place "Loulen's." Drank Lipton citrus green tea.

LikaNui
September 30th, 2005, 03:06 PM
Cheeseburger (with avocado) at Bob's Big Boy.
YUM!!!

1stwahine
September 30th, 2005, 03:30 PM
Homemade-Laulau ($3 for $10.00) from MWH Youth Group Huge Buggah's and Rice. :)

Auntie Lynn

glossyp
September 30th, 2005, 04:44 PM
Leftover pork adobo my mom bought from that place "Loulen's." Drank Lipton citrus green tea.

How was it? I've heard that the Filipino food at Loulen's is really good and that the other stuff is too. Anyone else tried it yet?

EastCoastTropics
September 30th, 2005, 05:01 PM
I made Oxtail soap last night and had it for lunch today!!! Ho da ono!!! :D

scrivener
September 30th, 2005, 05:18 PM
I made Oxtail soap last night and had it for lunch today!!!
If that's what goes into your soaps, ECT, I think maybe we'll be declining your kind and generous donation of a prize for the Trivia Contest! ... :)

EastCoastTropics
September 30th, 2005, 05:48 PM
If that's what goes into your soaps, ECT, I think maybe we'll be declining your kind and generous donation of a prize for the Trivia Contest! ... :)

Ooops! That's suppsed to be Oxtail soup!! *LMAO*

kupomog
September 30th, 2005, 06:26 PM
How was it? I've heard that the Filipino food at Loulen's is really good and that the other stuff is too. Anyone else tried it yet?

It was good! Really tasty, and not dry/super hard like some places I've been to before. Usually I only enjoy the adobo from Golden Coin but I like Loulen's a lot more now.

helen
October 1st, 2005, 01:41 PM
Manapua, spring rolls and Mountain Dew.

pinakboy
October 3rd, 2005, 12:21 PM
It was good! Really tasty, and not dry/super hard like some places I've been to before. Usually I only enjoy the adobo from Golden Coin but I like Loulen's a lot more now.

Kupomog pls tell us more about Loulen's!! Is there a website or menu available online?? :)

i'm having my protein shake today... :eek:

lavagal
October 3rd, 2005, 12:23 PM
Razor-thin sliced ham on ciabatta with peperoncini, celery stalks, olive and pepper salad. I'm in a spicy mood today!

EastCoastTropics
October 3rd, 2005, 12:40 PM
German bologna and swiss cheese on wheat bread.....boring but easy and fast to slap together! :D

pzarquon
October 3rd, 2005, 01:18 PM
Kal-bi chicken sandwich from Kincaid's. It was okay, but kinda soggy. Just about the slowest service I've ever had there, unfortunately.

tiptoetulip
October 3rd, 2005, 03:27 PM
"Naked Roll" from Sam's Club. Ono!

helen
October 3rd, 2005, 07:58 PM
Oyster sauce chicken, brown rice, cooked mixed veggies and a bottle of Mountain Dew.

lavagal
October 4th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Oyster sauce chicken, brown rice, cooked mixed veggies and a bottle of Mountain Dew.

Helen:
You sure do like your Mountain Dew!!

Today's lunch: Another ham/ciabatta/peperoncini sandwich with a cherry tomato/green bell pepper/black olive/ pasta salad sprinkled with a julienne of basil and vinegar and oil. Yummy. Excuse me, need to wash up for lunch! (drink? Diet Pepsi)

helen
October 4th, 2005, 12:22 PM
Foot long pastrami sandwich from Subway, washed down by a bottle of water, that used to hold my morning Mountain Dew fix.

pzarquon
October 5th, 2005, 01:16 PM
A wonderful lunch with glossyp (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/search.php?do=finduser&u=558) at Grand Cafe & Bakery, a neat place at 31 N. Pauahi St. Too busy for its own good, with some well-known issues with the service still apparent (though at least one of our servers was spectacular), but the food's too good overall to really complain.

http://static.flickr.com/31/49762159_3e43d1bef4_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/49762159/) http://static.flickr.com/26/49782555_7e9c492f52_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/49782555/) http://static.flickr.com/25/49782649_ae657d75cb_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/49782649/) http://static.flickr.com/33/49782737_bad5a7cbbb_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/49782737/)

Cobb Salad, Missionary Chowder, BLT & Chilled Tomato Soup Combo (though they forgot the soup, and we did too!), Grilled Mahi, and for dessert, Carrot Cake and Black Forest Chocolate Cake.

helen
October 5th, 2005, 11:08 PM
Polish sausage, chicken bake and a cup of Diet Coke.

helen
October 6th, 2005, 07:41 PM
A couple of sandwiches, teri chicken musubi and a Super Big Gulp of Diet Coke from 7-11.

jdub
October 6th, 2005, 10:44 PM
delicious grilled ham and cheese with tomato and provolone from o'toole's...

pzarquon
October 7th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Yesterday? A pair of ahi rolls and a pair of tuna rolls from Aloha Sushi in Pioneer Plaza. Not that good, but cheap and consistent, and the cashier there is sporadically chatty. Not sure what I'm doing today. Anyone downtown with suggestions?

Pomai
October 7th, 2005, 08:16 AM
Cool! A diary on everyone's daily lunch eats. Hope the family doctor doesn't read this thread though. lol

Today's a going-away pizza party for a co-worker.

My topping request? Spinach, Olives, Bell Peppers and Mushrooms (and cheese of course). Nothing else. Love that!

Albert
October 7th, 2005, 09:57 AM
A stir-fry dish of chicken, water chestnuts and peanuts from the California Wok at Ala Moana Center. Tastey, but would have been better with a lighter sauce.

1stwahine
October 7th, 2005, 02:59 PM
I went to Tamashiro Market to purchase pupu's for tonight. Madako Tako, Ahi Poki, and Ahi with Onion and Seaweed.

For lunch I bought Aku bellys and fried it. Dipped in shoyu, pepper and vinegar sauce. Poi.

Auntie Lynn

kupomog
October 7th, 2005, 03:04 PM
Mini-fried chicken bento from 7-11. I actually like this stuff...especially since the chicken is boneless. Drinking my millionth Pepsi this month probably just because I want those stinkin' orange code caps.

helen
October 7th, 2005, 07:46 PM
Shoyu chicken, brown rice, cooked mixed veggies and a bottle of water.

helen
October 8th, 2005, 09:24 PM
Hot dog, popcorn and a Diet Coke during the first movie. Hot dog, two bananas and Diet Coke for the second movie.

1stwahine
October 8th, 2005, 09:56 PM
Fried Akule, poi and kim chee!

Rootbeer today...hung ova! :confused:

Auntie Lynn

helen
October 10th, 2005, 09:40 PM
Polish sausage and a Diet Coke.

tutusue
October 10th, 2005, 10:14 PM
Plain yogurt with blueberries and granola, ice tea.

1stwahine
October 11th, 2005, 12:32 AM
Garlic shrimp with Fried rice frim Linh's! Iced Tea. :D

Auntie Lynn

Pomai
October 11th, 2005, 09:01 AM
My usual work week "eat-to-live" staple: S&S Saimin... da' one get da' Kamaboko and green onion ready-fo'-eat in da' bowl from "Cosco's". :rolleyes:

helen
October 11th, 2005, 03:36 PM
Pastrami footlong sandwich, bag of chips and a cup of Mountain Dew from Subways.

1stwahine
October 11th, 2005, 03:40 PM
Chicken Pot Pie from KFC and "Fruit Punch!" :D

Auntie Lynn

lavagal
October 11th, 2005, 03:41 PM
Sliced cherry tomatoes, pepperoni, fresh mozzarella and a julienne of basil leaves drizzled with olive oil and wine vinegar.
Diet Pepsi.
Mini Quaker granola snack.

pzarquon
October 11th, 2005, 04:12 PM
http://static.flickr.com/26/51704306_c5f64ffe83_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/51704306/) http://static.flickr.com/31/51703821_8360e1624b_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/51703821/) http://static.flickr.com/28/51703287_a4161f4ab5_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/51703287/) http://static.flickr.com/27/51702969_9685718fb7_t.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/hawaii/51702969/)

A feast from New Diner's Drive In (1333 N. King St.) with the wife, baby, and glossyp (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/member.php?u=558)! One of their famous monster cheeseburgers, a loco moco, a combo plate with kalbi and pork cutlet, a mochiko chicken plate and a fried mahi plate.

Gads I'm stuffed! The loco was my favorite. At under $4? A deal! The rest, not bad. The cook is too fond of vinegar if you asked me...

Pomai
October 11th, 2005, 04:39 PM
Howzit pzarquon,

Is that a camera phone you're using to take all your food shots?

Whoah, $4.00 for that local moco.. good deal!

Most plate lunches are at the $6.00 avg. price now. So much for that "gotta-be-under 5 buck$" magic number.

Zippy's is moving into the $7-8 zone. Ouch.

pzarquon
October 11th, 2005, 07:05 PM
Yep, a camera phone. A pretty lousy camera, to be sure, but considering everything else it does (http://www.palm.com/us/products/smartphones/treo650/), I don't mind. And in the right light, some of the photos aren't half bad!

I know what you mean. Zippy's food has gotten fancier, I guess, but the prices have gone with it. I still tend to stick to the "shallow end" of the menu, the typical drive-in stuff rather than their prettied-up "cuisine."

As for New Diner's loco moco, ho boy. The size of the thing -- square styrofoam tray notwithstanding -- was pretty dang impressive for the price. Two eggs, and two of their giant, thick, moist hamburger patties (not the usual floppy pancake patties usually made especially for loco mocos). If I want "guilty pleasure" taste and enough bulk to fill me for the day, that's what I'd recommend.

helen
October 11th, 2005, 09:23 PM
I went back to the same Subway for dinner today, ordered the same stuff, yet it was about $2 cheaper from lunch time, I think they have a dinner special going on after 5pm. What was really bizzare was that lunch time the fountain had Pepsi products but dinner time that same fountain had Coke products.

lavagal
October 11th, 2005, 09:47 PM
I went back to the same Subway for dinner today, ordered the same stuff, yet it was about $2 cheaper from lunch time, I think they have a dinner special going on after 5pm. What was really bizzare was that lunch time the fountain had Pepsi products but dinner time that same fountain had Coke products.

That IS bizzare! Go back tomorrow at lunch and see what's up with that. So wait a minute: Mountain Dew. Is it a Coke or a Pepsi concoction? You're the expert Helen!

helen
October 11th, 2005, 09:52 PM
Mountain Dew is bottled by Pepsi here. When I went this evening the nozzle that had the Mountain Dew in the afternoon had a Power Blade selection instead. Then I noticed the rest of the selections were Coke so I took Diet Coke for dinner. I guess I should go back tomorrow just to see what's what.

Pomai
October 11th, 2005, 09:53 PM
I went back to the same Subway for dinner today, ordered the same stuff O.K. just checkin'. Jared ordered a 6" Turkey for lunch, foot long Veggie for dinner.

Pastrami for lunch AND dinner.. you go!

What was really bizzare was that lunch time the fountain had Pepsi products but dinner time that same fountain had Coke products This is a first! A HAUNTED Subway restaurant in Hawaii. Hope you consider adding it to the Obake Files (http://www.hawaiithreads.com/showthread.php?t=5144).

Would be even more bizzare if the restaurant became a Quiznos or Blimpie at dinner time.

Again, this thread is makin' me hungry. Gonna' have to grab me a footlong Seafood & Crab for dinner tonight. The Subway near us offers any footlong after 5:00pm for $3.99 (somethin' like that). What a deal!

helen
October 12th, 2005, 01:05 PM
Went back to that same Subway today and had a pastrami foot long sandwich, chips and Diet Coke. According to one of the workers they had switch to Coke products yesterday.

Also munching on some cookies from there as well as a refill of Diet Coke.

1stwahine
October 12th, 2005, 01:20 PM
Pig Feet Soup from Janes Fountain on Liliha Street (Take-out), Can Red Salmon with diced cold tomato/maui onions/dash of aloha shoyu on top. Poi

Pepsi with Ice.
(I getting the habit) :eek:

Auntie Lynn

LikaNui
October 12th, 2005, 02:11 PM
Went back to that same Subway today and had a pastrami foot long sandwich, chips and Diet Coke. According to one of the workers they had switch to Coke products yesterday. Temporary switch or permanent?
I remember when Pepsi had their national convention on the Big Island a few years ago and for a week or ten days you simply could not find a Coke anywhere on the island!

Pomai
October 12th, 2005, 02:43 PM
That Subway Pastrami sandwich must be REALLY good. 3 times consecutively.. That's it, I'm tryin' one!

Today was a Somen Salad from Tropics Fish & Vegetable Market (Ward).

Hey, us guys gotta' watch our "figure" too ya' know! :p

Kilinahe
October 12th, 2005, 03:24 PM
Half a container of New York Super Fudge Chunk. Fell asleep and woke up late and had to pick up the kids, so that's all I had time for. There's tuna in the pantry calling mt name, though.

lavagal
October 12th, 2005, 03:46 PM
That Subway Pastrami sandwich must be REALLY good. 3 times consecutively.. That's it, I'm tryin' one!

Today was a Somen Salad from Tropics Fish & Vegetable Market (Ward).

Hey, us guys gotta' watch our "figure" too ya' know! :p

Yeah, Helen. Me and skinny Pomai want to know what you get on your subway pastrami!

helen
October 12th, 2005, 04:04 PM
All the veggies, no salt, no pepper, no oil, no vinegar, mustard, mayo, and cheese (type of which changes from order to order).

Pomai
October 12th, 2005, 04:39 PM
My Subway fav' has always been the Seafood and Crab on Wheat with ALL the fixinz, bag o' Pretzels and Lemonade drink.

Speaking of skinny, what's the deal with people who order fast food mega-burger screw-the-arteries super-duper combo deluxes.. then drink a DIET SODA with it? Never figured that one out.

Helen can get by with that, after all she's eating a relatively HEALTHY meal, so it makes sense.

Hey, it's dinner soon. Once again this thread is makin' me hungry.

lavagal
October 12th, 2005, 05:14 PM
My Subway fav' has always been the Seafood and Crab on Wheat with ALL the fixinz, bag o' Pretzels and Lemonade drink.

Speaking of skinny, what's the deal with people who order fast food mega-burger screw-the-arteries super-duper combo deluxes.. then drink a DIET SODA with it? Never figured that one out.

Helen can get by with that, after all she's eating a relatively HEALTHY meal, so it makes sense.

Hey, it's dinner soon. Once again this thread is makin' me hungry.

Pomai,
I'm one of those. I cannot tolerate a sugar soda. I would drink water first. I am a diet cola fan. I don't make a habit of eating a mega burger, but when I do you can bet it's with a diet soda on the rare occasion that I do. My justification? Well shoots, if I'm eating all this crap, the least I can do is wash it down with a sugar free beverage!

Pomai
October 13th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Yakisoba Noodles with Vegetables and Kamaboko from Tropics Fish Market. Hawaiian Sun Passion Orange Drink. $2.50 lunch can't go wrong!

helen
October 13th, 2005, 12:07 PM
Spinach stuffed chicken, brown rice, cooked mixed veggies and a bottle of water.

lavagal
October 13th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Helen! Sounds delicious. Different for you, though!
Here's what I'm having: Part of the Parisian Salad Kit from Costco, augmented with cherry tomatoes and a scoop of tuna salad. yummy. Grapefruit sections. Mini granola bar. H20.

jdub
October 13th, 2005, 01:25 PM
Here's what I'm having: Part of the Parisian Salad Kit from Costco, augmented with cherry tomatoes and a scoop of tuna salad. yummy. Grapefruit sections. Mini granola bar. H20.

what? you're working from home now? some gals have all the luck...

for lunch, i'm thinking of the baked chicken bento i'm getting from that Korean couple that runs the walk-in vending machine on halekauwila when i go to work...and some gatorade...

lavagal
October 13th, 2005, 04:45 PM

for lunch, i'm thinking of the baked chicken bento i'm getting from that Korean couple that runs the walk-in vending machine on halekauwila when i go to work...and some gatorade...

Shoots! No, I packed it. I ate it at work. But I am telecommuting, too. I work MTWTh mornings til 1:30p.m. and Friday afternoons. But I'm kinda on 24-7 for all the other stuff: writing, laying out the newsletter, working on the Website.

Hope your chicken-w/Gatorade chaser was delightful!

kimo55
October 13th, 2005, 11:27 PM

huh!? that's a gal's line.

jdub
October 14th, 2005, 12:18 AM
huh!? that's a gal's line.

none that i know, kimo-san...

helen
October 14th, 2005, 11:47 AM
Beef pot roast, brown rice, mixed veggies and a bottle of water.

pzarquon
October 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Char siu stewed noodle from Mini Garden at Hotel and Smith. Used to get this at least weekly, but it's been a while.

LikaNui
October 14th, 2005, 01:16 PM
Angus steak-burger and chicken fries from Burger King, with an iced tea.
(Not Mountain Dew for me... sorry, Helen!)

Leo Lakio
October 14th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Wild Ginger (Asian restaurant in Seattle)'s "Seven Element Soup" --- thin egg noodles in a coconut-curry broth, with chicken, cilantro, scallions, crispy egg noodles and a dollop of sour cream and spices on top.

Pomai
October 14th, 2005, 01:35 PM
Angus steak-burger and chicken fries from Burger King

Whatever you do, don't order BK's new Swiss N' Shroom Burger. The WORST Mushroom Burger I ever had. Bleck.

Plain Friday for me. S&S Saimin and Juice.

"S&S" must be an acronym for "Sustenance & more Sustenance"

Lei K
October 14th, 2005, 04:49 PM
Grilled cheese sandwich and a can of Pepsi.

EastCoastTropics
October 14th, 2005, 05:02 PM
New England Clam Choowwdaah! :)

Rickyrab
October 15th, 2005, 01:17 PM
New England Clam Choowwdaah! :)
Good soup! The chowder pot makes for a very yummy brew.... :)

Lei K
October 15th, 2005, 01:30 PM
I was at the bowling alley watching the keiki so I had a fast snack of seasoned curly fries and an extra large soda (Mountain Dew Code Red). I know, what a lunch!

helen
October 16th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Plate lunch, a baked manapua and cup of Mountain Dew from U-Choice Drive Inn.

1stwahine
October 16th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Port. Bean soup and Bread with Butter. Water. Mmmmm. Perfect for a Sunday. Tonight moa ono. Tomarrow moa betta! :D

Auntie Lynn

TurquoiseDuck
October 16th, 2005, 12:50 PM
Was desperate....cold spam on Roman Meal bread with mayo, hunk of cheese and water.

Stephen
October 16th, 2005, 04:01 PM
Not so much lunch, but we had kalua pig at Bob's BarBQ at Dillingham & Waiakamilo. Awesome!

lavagal
October 16th, 2005, 05:22 PM
Was desperate....cold spam on Roman Meal bread with mayo, hunk of cheese and water.

What? You at OTripleC?

helen
October 17th, 2005, 12:18 PM
Cheeseburger, a bottle of water and some Granloa Bars.

1stwahine
October 17th, 2005, 12:32 PM
Pan Fried Pork Chops, Cream style corn, Hot steam rice, and fresh mushroom gravy. My son and son-inlaw making it a delightful habit to check on MAMA, Antonio and me!

I love to cook.

Auntie Lynn ;)

Pomai
October 17th, 2005, 12:37 PM
Medium-Low Carb lunch: Broiled Ribeye Steak with Canadian Seasoning and butter sauteed garlic mushrooms. A-1 Steaksauce. No starch, no veggies. H.S. Passion Orange juice. Fresh sliced mango after lunch.

lavagal
October 17th, 2005, 12:45 PM
Medium-Low Carb lunch: Broiled Ribeye Steak with Canadian Seasoning and butter sauteed garlic mushrooms. A-1 Steaksauce. No starch, no veggies. H.S. Passion Orange juice. Fresh sliced mango after lunch.
Pomai:
What's with that Canadian seasoning I see on the Costco shelves? What the heck? I've looked at the label and see "banana" in there. Also, is it the same as "Montreal" seasoning? If they are so special why don't steak houses emphasize or offer these flavorings.
Mouth watering minds wanna know!

Pomai
October 17th, 2005, 01:21 PM
Pomai:
What's with that Canadian seasoning I see on the Costco shelves? What the heck? I've looked at the label and see "banana" in there. Also, is it the same as "Montreal" seasoning? If they are so special why don't steak houses emphasize or offer these flavorings.
Mouth watering minds wanna know!

Glad you asked!

Ever try the $6.50 BBQ Steak plate they sell at Foodland Koko Marina every Thursday? I asked the guy grilling what the seasoning was and all he said was "secret". Wouldn't budge!

So I seen that Grill Mates Montreal Seasoning (http://www.mccormick.com/productdetail.cfm?ID=6209) in Costco (what I mistakenly called Canadian seasoning earlier). Thought, hmmmm, I wonder? So picked it up and gave it a try.

Sure enough... that's the one! If not the same, BETTER than Foodlands! In fact, some friends have said the steaks I served them with it was better than Ruth's Chris. Wow.

Pick up a good cut of steaks such as rib eyes, brush some Extra Virgin Olive Oil on 'em, then simply season 'em liberally with the Montreal Seasoning. No need chop garlic or add salt and pepper or anything. Just give the Montreal a shake! You can also add a little Shoyu for that local touch. Grill on HOT coals to desired doneness (medium rare preferably). You can broil or sautee them, but GRILLING is the best.

So easy!

Trust me, the $6.00 spent on that huge bottle of seasoning will go a long way and make the steaks eaters in your home craving more. (the one shown in the link is the smaller consumer size)

So good you won't even need sauce. Still, I gotta' have my A-1!

But sshhhhhh. don't tell too anyone the secret!

LikaNui
October 18th, 2005, 11:44 AM
Panda Express; chicken-mushroom and orange chicken.

pzarquon
October 18th, 2005, 01:21 PM
A teri burger from the odd restaurant inside Macy's downtown, "The Gazebo."

helen
October 18th, 2005, 07:16 PM
Polish sausage and Diet Coke from Costco.

lavagal
October 18th, 2005, 08:58 PM
Polish sausage and Diet Coke from Costco.

didja get kraut with it? Iwilei? Hawaii Kai? Ka Uka? Didja get a free refill? ELABORATE!

helen
October 20th, 2005, 01:15 PM
Costco's chicken ceaser salad and a water.

lavagal
October 20th, 2005, 01:22 PM
Costco's chicken ceaser salad and a water.

of few words, aren't you Helen?
@:)

Pomai
October 20th, 2005, 01:49 PM
Applied Graphics Logo Products Show

A-Y-C-E Buffet. Gooooood fooooood!

Hand Sandwiches: Choice of Roast Beef, Salami, Turkey & Tuna, Egg and Chicken Salad
Grilled Zucchini & Mushrooms
Coconut Shrimp Skewers
Thai Beef Skewers
Fresh Sliced Fruit
Choice of Tossed Greens, Potato and Pasta Salads
Vanilla Ice Cream Cones
House-made Chocolate Chip Cookies and Brownies, Carrot Cake
Ice Tea, Bottled Perrier Water

Crossing fingers to win 1 of 3 iPod Nano's. ;)

EastCoastTropics
October 20th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Went to the Asian Bay Japanese Restaurant for lunch today! Ono! I had a cup of green tea, Sashimi plate and Nabeyaki Udon. I ordered take-out of Chicken Katsu for dinner tonight!

lavagal
October 20th, 2005, 04:52 PM
Pomai said:
So I seen that Grill Mates Montreal Seasoning in Costco (what I mistakenly called Canadian seasoning earlier). Thought, hmmmm, I wonder? So picked it up and gave it a try.]

I just might give it a try myself. I've been to that Foodland Thursday steak tent just once out here in Hawaii Kai. It was the weirdest thing. Standing in line while people were telling the guys how to cut their steaks, what pieces they wanted, 'eh! no fat!' stuff like that. I felt like they weren't exactly feeling warm toward the clientele. I wonder when the stores will pull the plug on the outdoor grilling tents!
Thanks for giving me a clue. HOWEVER! I still don't know why this is a Canadian or a Montreal seasoning. St. Louis ribs, Carolina barbecue, Texas brisket, San Francisco Bouilabaise, Philly Cheesesteaks--now those I can figure. But what's the deal with Canadian or Montreal seasoning?

Pomai
October 20th, 2005, 05:38 PM
I still don't know why this is a Canadian or a Montreal seasoning. St. Louis ribs, Carolina barbecue, Texas brisket, San Francisco Bouilabaise, Philly Cheesesteaks--now those I can figure. But what's the deal with Canadian or Montreal seasoning?

I agree. So what if we use Montreal Seasoning for our steaks cooked out here in Hawaii Kai? Shouldn't it be called Hawaii Kai seasoning? :p

All I know is it's good, and I highly recommend it. ;)

1stwahine
October 21st, 2005, 12:24 PM
MAMA called one of our former workers to do some errands and pick up lunch for us in Chinatown. I wanted Roast Duck from Mini Garden but they were still closed. "Trinni" bought Roast Duck from Nam Fong and Chow Fun from Char Hung Sut on Pauahi Street.

I have a set mind. I'm spoiled. I didn't eat it cause it looked too oily. Plus, I changed my mind to Look Fun Soup with Won Ton. I got my soup. Still didn't taste right. Nothing does.

This Flu last too long. This is worse than the Food Posioning!

Auntie Lynn

Pomai
October 21st, 2005, 01:06 PM
I changed my mind to Look Fun Soup with Won Ton.

Was the soup fun to eat? Or did it just look fun, but when you ate the soup, it weighed won ton? :p

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Today's Boss' B-Day at Dave & Busters. Tried their Fish 'N Chips. Not bad.
D&B's uses Talapia - not the glowing kine from da' Ala Wai - da' farm raised 'kine. Fries (chips) are standard burger-joint variety.

Alexander's (http://www.alexandersonmaui.com) in Kihei, Maui is still the #1 Fish N' Chipper in Hawaii, IMO. They offer choice of Ahi, Mahi or Ono, and the tempura-based batter is perfect. Fries (chips could be better, but they work.

Anyone ever tried the F&C's at Ye' Fox and Hounds Pub? Always see them advertise but never had a chance to drop in.

1stwahine
October 21st, 2005, 01:14 PM
A Ton of FUN, Pomai! :p ;)

Auntie Lynn

helen
October 21st, 2005, 01:20 PM
Chicken flavor Cup Noodles, Twix and a bottle of Mountain Dew.

kupomog
October 21st, 2005, 03:44 PM
One of those little Kid's Kitchen spaghetti and meatballs cups with rice. Yes, I'll eat rice with anything. Drank Diamond Head red cream soda.

EastCoastTropics
October 22nd, 2005, 10:23 AM
Went to the Ikea store in New Haven, CT yesterday to spend a day of shopping. Had lunch in their Cafe.....a cured salmon sandwich. It was really good! Today I had sushi for lunch at the mall.....

Pomai
October 22nd, 2005, 02:02 PM
Went to the Ikea store in New Haven, CT

Do they really kea in Connecticut? I know Ikea! :p

Tried the new beard papa's (http://www.muginohousa.com) cream puffs for the first time today. Each puff is about the size of a tennis ball. What's nice about fresh made cream puffs is you get the warm crusty puff texture on the outside with the post-bake injected cool, creamy texture of the vanilla-flavored custard filling inside.

The cream puff's flavor, quality, packaging and service are excellent.

The only complaint I'd have is the price. $1.50 each or $8.50/half dozen ($1.41 ea). While I don't mind paying that just to have a few on occasion, not sure if I'd be willing to supply our office lunchroom with a few dozen of 'em.

beard papa's is a franchise operation currently open in the Kaiulani st. Food Pantry in Waikiki (owned by Foodland) and Foodland Koko Marina. I believe they're also opening several more in other Foodland locations.

1stwahine
October 22nd, 2005, 02:38 PM
Small Saimin, Cone sushi and 1 BBQ stick at Nuuanu Okazuya.

Excellent! :D

Auntie Lynn

tutusue
October 22nd, 2005, 08:45 PM
Hmmm...that was so many hours ago. IIRC, half of a #2 Chicago South Sider wrap from the Safeway deli, which means the other half is somewhere in the fridge, available for dinner. Jeez, I do have something for dinner after all!

EastCoastTropics
October 23rd, 2005, 01:09 AM
:D @ Pomai!

Pomai
October 23rd, 2005, 09:35 AM
Tried the new beard papa's (http://www.muginohousa.com) cream puffs for the first time today. Each puff is about the size of a tennis ball. What's nice about fresh made cream puffs is you get the warm crusty puff texture on the outside with the post-bake injected cool, creamy texture of the vanilla-flavored custard filling inside.

The cream puff's flavor, quality, packaging and service are excellent.

The only complaint I'd have is the price. $1.50 each or $8.50/half dozen ($1.41 ea). While I don't mind paying that just to have a few on occasion, not sure if I'd be willing to supply our office lunchroom with a few dozen of 'em.

beard papa's is a franchise operation currently open in the Kaiulani st. Food Pantry in Waikiki (owned by Foodland) and Foodland Koko Marina. I believe they're also opening several more in other Foodland locations.

Forgot to mention, in Japan they use the French name choux creme (pronounced in Japanese accent as "shoo k'deem").

A family friend from Akihabara (lives in Hawaii now) makes them from scratch, except she also adds fresh strawberries and Kiwi fruit. Oishii!

If you order a bunch, try cutting one open and add slices of fresh fruit in 'em. Bet it would taste even better! ;)

1stwahine
October 23rd, 2005, 12:39 PM
We were going to have left overs from last night but our neighbors gave us a bigger plate of BBQ Meats just off the grill. Just to much for MAMA and I. I mixed some sour poi and we ate. I'm freezing the rest for another day.

Passion Orange Hot Tea with a twist of lemon. :D

Auntie Lynn

helen
October 23rd, 2005, 02:56 PM
Manapua, spring rolls and Mountain Dew.

lavagal
October 23rd, 2005, 03:09 PM
Leftovers from Outback, angel hair with pesto on the side, lime diet cola on ice. need chocolate!

Pomai
October 24th, 2005, 08:21 AM
Oahu Melt Sammiches.

Similar to a Tuna Melt, except use canned Wahoo (Ono) instead. Mix with a little mayo. Couple slices Swiss or American Cheese on bread of choice. Toast 'em. Easy and ONO. Literally!

If anyone never tried the canned Wahoo (Ono) yet, it's similar to Tuna, except a little more salty, the meat is a little more white and has less of a "fishy" flavor. They're produced and packed in Samoa.

helen
October 24th, 2005, 12:28 PM
Garlic hot dog manapua, lup cheong manapua, a couple of sandwichs and a Gulp of Mountain Dew from 7-11.

helen
October 25th, 2005, 11:48 AM
Chicken ceaser salad and a bottle of water from Costco.

1stwahine
October 25th, 2005, 01:25 PM
We went to The Maunakea Market Place. I got Bangus Fish Soup, Pancit, and merinated Fried Pork with onions. Banana Lumpia. Coke. $ 8.50

Too much for my tummy. Left overs again. Problem with left overs -- it usually gets thrown away. :eek:

Auntie Lynn

helen
October 26th, 2005, 12:48 PM
Mixed plate of pork adobe, pasta, brown rice, veggies and a bottle of water.

Miulang
October 26th, 2005, 01:29 PM
A scrumptious ham/pork banh mi sammich.

Miulang

Leo Lakio
October 26th, 2005, 02:01 PM
Grilled cheese sandwich, tomato soup, cookie.

To be more specific, grilled cheddar on garlic/rosemary sourdough bread and tomato/basil/onion soup, from Three Girls Bakery in Seattle's Pike Place Market; followed by one of their Double-O cookies (a peanut butter cookie with a Reese's peanut butter cup baked into the center of it.)

1stwahine
October 26th, 2005, 02:04 PM
Fried Mushroom Pork Chops from Linhs on N. King Street.
Extra gravy all ova! Yummy foa my tummy! ;)

Auntie Lynn

pzarquon
October 26th, 2005, 03:49 PM
A couple of tekka rolls and tuna rolls from Manoa Sushi. Those suckers were huge compared to what you normally get at little mall-esque sushi shops.

kupomog
October 26th, 2005, 05:48 PM
Grilled cheese sandwich, tomato soup, cookie.

To be more specific, grilled cheddar on garlic/rosemary sourdough bread and tomato/basil/onion soup, from Three Girls Bakery in Seattle's Pike Place Market; followed by one of their Double-O cookies (a peanut butter cookie with a Reese's peanut butter cup baked into the center of it.)

That sounds sooooo good...too bad I haven't learned how to enjoy tomato soup yet.

I just had a bunch of cheese and crackers at my brother's apartment. Ritz crackers, not sure what kind of cheese we used. It tasted like the cheese from Handi Snacks, but it was white. There was also another white cheese that reminded me of those little white cheese cubes I used to eat in elementary school. I'm so hungry but it's almost time to eat dinner so no snacking for me.

Pomai
October 28th, 2005, 12:09 PM
Chargrilled Hamburger
6 oz. hand-pattied with lettuce, red onion, tomato and mustard-mayo' sauce on gourmet sesame bun. Includes dill pickle, carrot and celery stick. $5.99

Seriously, one of the BEST burgers on this island. Awesome chargrilled flavor. Burger fans MUST try this one.

from Matters of Taste
Gentry Design Center on Nimitz (across Sam Choy's BLC)

Leo Lakio
October 28th, 2005, 12:12 PM
It must be hamburger day; after a year of looking, I think I may have found the best burger in Downtown Seattle, at the Pike Place Market Bar & Grill.
1/3-pounder; I added blue cheese crumbles and bacon (oh, my heart!)

Miulang
October 29th, 2005, 03:07 PM
Had a craving for a good knish yesterday so I went to the kosher bakery in the north end of town. Unfortunately, they had just moved to a new storefront, so the knish making had been delayed for a couple of weeks. Did buy an excellent chocolate babka, though. Yummy.

Miulang

Leo Lakio
October 30th, 2005, 09:22 AM
We celebrated the unofficial birthday of our radio show in Seattle - 14 years on the community station - so half of the hosting `ohana came in to do the show, and we made a potluck out of it as well...
-teriyaki drummettes
-Portuguese sweet bread (homemade!)
-toss salad
-mac salad
-lau lau
-spam musubi
-rice
-haupia (regular & chocolate)
We had enough to make up a plate for the Brazilian music host who comes in after us; she loved it.

1stwahine
October 30th, 2005, 11:22 AM
Aloha! I had Fresh Buterfish Filets, Poi, (raw crab), and ahi poki from Tamashiro Market! :D

I took some pictures while shopping there today. It's a five minute walk from where I live. http://www.auntiepupule.com/blog :p

:eek:

Auntie Lynn

Miulang
October 30th, 2005, 01:39 PM
We celebrated the unofficial birthday of our radio show in Seattle - 14 years on the community station - so half of the hosting `ohana came in to do the show, and we made a potluck out of it as well...
-teriyaki drummettes
-Portuguese sweet bread (homemade!)
-toss salad
-mac salad
-lau lau
-spam musubi
-rice
-haupia (regular & chocolate)
We had enough to make up a plate for the Brazilian music host who comes in after us; she loved it.
What did Unco Williama bring? He gave me some ono dried aku on Friday when I stopped by the halau to talk story.

Miulang

Leo Lakio
October 30th, 2005, 01:57 PM
What did Unco Williama bring? He gave me some ono dried aku on Friday when I stopped by the halau to talk story.
Different radio show - this was the KBCS crew (Braddah Gomes, etc.)

But Williama - he's some cook, ah? I've lost track of how many great foods he's turned me on to! He always has something at the halau to try (and he'll never tell me what it is until I try it - talk about how to torture a picky eater!)

Pomai
October 30th, 2005, 02:17 PM
Pomai's Ahi Poke

Supah' fresh raw Ahi - diced into 3/4" to 1" cubes
Ogo, rough chopped
Fresh Garlic, minced fine
Fresh Ginger, minced fine
White onion (Maui onion is best!), chopped fine
Green Onions, chopped
Mirin (this is a Japanese sweetened rice wine)
Shoyu

Add the diced Ahi, Ogo, garlic, ginger and onions in bowl. Toss until combined. Then slowly add Shoyu and Mirin to desired balance of Shoyu-Sweet flavor.

Easy and winnah!

This is another trick with Poke. When da' buggah gets several days old, you think "poho" right? Not even! Throw da' buggah in one wok and fry 'em until seared on the outside. Killah!

Leo Lakio
October 30th, 2005, 02:28 PM
Makin' me SOOO hungry, Pomai!
We get great sashimi-grade ahi here in Seattle, of course, along with ALMOST all the other ingredients to make killer poke, except fresh ogo.
It's just not the same without that little crunch...

Pomai
October 30th, 2005, 02:42 PM
Makin' me SOOO hungry, Pomai!
We get great sashimi-grade ahi here in Seattle, of course, along with ALMOST all the other ingredients to make killer poke, except fresh ogo.
It's just not the same without that little crunch...

A while back, Sam Choy's cooking show featured an aquatic farm in Kona on the big island that grows Ogo in controlled tanks. These tanks are pumped with COLD sea water off the Kona coast.

You can buy this farm-raised Ogo in bags quite cheap at some of the local markets here.

Nah, but if no moah Ogo, just make the recipe I gave without it. You'll still get that "crunch" from the white onions.

Now Limu Kohu. That's another story. Expensive. Love that stuff with Kalua Pig and Poi!

lurkah
October 30th, 2005, 03:36 PM

Eh Uncle, if you're lucky enough to be there at the right time, you can find fresh ogo at the Uwajimaya near you. But you'll have to blanch it first because it's sold raw and unprepared, the same way it comes out from the ocean. Whenever I'm in that area, I usually stop in and buy whatever's left of their stock. ;)

Leo Lakio
October 30th, 2005, 03:38 PM
if you're lucky enough to be there at the right time ... Whenever I'm in that area, I usually stop in and buy whatever's left of their stock.
I probably get there just after you! (Nah - sweetie shops there regularly - best source for Portuguese sausage; I'll remind her to check 'em out next time.)

Remind me to tell you my first-time-trying-poke story someday... :D

TurquoiseDuck
October 30th, 2005, 03:45 PM
What? You at OTripleC?

*ROTF* No, but the windows have iron bars on em. Does that count ?

Pomai
October 31st, 2005, 05:14 AM
Remind me to tell you my first-time-trying-poke story someday... Would that story be rated G? :D

O.K. I'm remindin' you... tell us the story!

EastCoastTropics
October 31st, 2005, 06:22 AM
Yesterday it was Lobster and Shrimp chowdah. Today its a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

helen
October 31st, 2005, 10:51 AM
Chicken flavor Cup Noddles and a bottle of Dole Orange Juice.

Leo Lakio
October 31st, 2005, 11:30 AM
First-time-eating-poke story (nothing gross here, safe for reading while eating): A few months into the start of my relationship with the Nikkeijin Alpha Female from Kane`ohe, we went home (from Seattle) to visit her parents. I had met them a couple months before, but this was the first time I was going to their home. (Keep in mind that, except for some knowledge of slack-key, I was still pretty ignorant about Hawaiian culture, history, language, etc. etc. - we really don't learn much on the Mainland, as you well know.)

Naturally, as any welcoming Island family would, they had pupus ready for us when we arrived, including ahi and tako poke. "Dad," knowing that I'm a mainland haole, hands over a pair of chopsticks and asks if I'm okay with them, or would I prefer a fork. I'm okay with chopsticks, so out comes the poke.

I knew enough not to ask "what's this weird stuff," but to give anything a try, at least once - as I'm going for the ahi poke, recognizing that it is chunks of raw tuna (mind you, I had never even eaten sashimi or sushi before, either - no raw fish had ever entered my gullet, in any form), I start hearing a voice screaming inside my Midwest-raised, steak and potato-eating mind: "Hey. HEY! That's RAW FISH there, you know! You aren't gonna eat RAW fish, are ya? ARE YA?!?"

The screaming voice continued, as the first chunk of that magnificently-seasoned, melt-in-your-mouth delicacy thrilled my palate: "Yo!!! Hey, Iowa boy - what ARE you doing??? Didn't you hear me say 'RAW FISH'?" But it was quickly joined by a new, somewhat quiet voice, saying: "yeah - but it tastes GOOD!" That voice has steadily grown stronger.

For years, I assumed I was being tested by her father; that he knew I was a raw-fish virgin, and wanted to see how I would do in this culinarily challenging circumstance. I have since been convinced that no such scenario had been devised - poke was just one of sweetie's favorites, and her parents are wonderfully generous people. She also knew that I wasn't just eating some to be nice when, at lunch with her Auntie the next day, we were at a buffet, and I took some ahi poke on my own.

Also for years, I heard the battle of the two voices ("Raw fish!" versus "I like it!") as I continued to enjoy ahi poke (and later, a`u and smoked-salmon variations) - though the tako poke was just a little too chewy for my tastes.

What astounds me now is that friends of mine who regularly enjoy sushi and sashimi, often don't like poke - they don't seem to be comfortable with the texture of the chunks, as opposed to the thin slices on rice. All the more for me, I guess.

qldhopefully
November 7th, 2005, 03:46 PM
hooooowzit gang!

i just found a new deli for those of us that work kaka'ako area! so ono da sandwiches! "bliss cafe" on keawe st. for realz da turkey , i only tried but i gon try others nex time.. Tomorrow! haha...

i can walk from my work on ala mo blvd :D

alohaG

1stwahine
November 8th, 2005, 12:11 PM
Hot Dog, P. Pizza and a Mocha Whachamacallit at Costco Dillingham! Great walk for me and lil' Antonio...my grandson. :D

Auntie Lynn

MadAzza
November 8th, 2005, 03:34 PM
Sushi today. Hamachi, prawn (whatever the Japanese name for that is) and California roll (hold the mayo). High protein, low fat. No more plate lunch for awhile -- I'm trying to shed a few pounds I gained during the past couple of months.

Sushi ... yum. <slurp>

MadAzza
November 8th, 2005, 10:24 PM
Yeah, so, two hours after eating my sushi lunch, I was starving again.

lavagal
November 9th, 2005, 09:16 PM
Bangkok Chef: pad thai, spring rolls, thai iced tea, basil shrimp, green curry chicken, sticky rice two times, guava nectar (hey, it was the family!)

helen
November 17th, 2005, 12:26 PM
Pastrami Deli Wrap and a bottle of water from the HCC Cafeteria.

1stwahine
November 17th, 2005, 12:59 PM
Beef-Cheese-Mushroom Piroscki, Fried Squid and Cascaron from Rada's Piroscki on Fort Street Mall! :D

Oh, and a Root Beer! ;)

Auntie Lynn