This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post of the Month (Sept. '05)

I know the month is only half over, but I wanted to go ahead and get my nominee up for this month's PotM.

I hope last month's winner enjoyed her prize, which was two bottles full of Kailua sunrise. Any suggestions for this month's prize?

Oh, and I am NOT the sysop's butt-kisser!
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Re: Post of the Month (Sept. '05)

One of the best posts I've read. His point was made very eloquently in a most logical way. I wish I could present my debates as well both you (Scrivener) and PZ do. Do you suggest any books which I can read that discusses effective debating, i.e., how to debate while avoiding the logical pitfalls I see many others fall into?

My nomination

I think I have a GREAT idea for the prize..in fact, I'd be willing to be the awarder of it. I propose the winner to receive 3, maybe 4 cans (if the winner is in HI; you know how the costs of freight go) of a regional soda made in North Carolina called Cheerwine. I highly doubt many of you in HI have had it. I recently acquired 2 cases of this cherry-red soda and I wouldn't mind sending some of it out to the winner of this month's contest. One can read about this local (but expanding) NC favorite at www.cheerwine.com. What is neat about this soda is that one can still buy it (in NC) in returnable, for deposit, 6 packs of bottles! How rare is that??
    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; September 14, 2005, 02:45 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
      I highly doubt many of you in HI have had it.
      I've had Cheerwine. It's like a very sweet cherry Dr. Pepper.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

My vote would have to be for scrivener's "Super-Interesting Stuff about the Kolea" post. A close second would be Fondoo's straight from the heart trip report about his visit to the Big Island.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
          My vote would have to be for scrivener's "Super-Interesting Stuff about the Kolea" post.
          That was an August post, and nobody nominated it for the August PotM. It's okay.
          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
            That's EXACTLY how I would describe it as well. I worked in Charlotte for four months back in 2000, and I had far too much of the stuff (along with too many visits to Bojangles fried chicken joints.)

Comment

Call me dense. I didn't realize that there was a Post of the Month.

Hey, is there a way to find out which posts during a given month received the most positive reputation points? Maybe we can find a way to use the Rep system for good and not evil.

Comment

Neither did I (for the post of the month).

The Reputation system while it seems like a good idea suffers from two problems. One is the fact that only the user can see their recieved reputation awards. The second problem is a reputation score is weighted. One post may have a score of 30 reputation points but only one user voted for it while another post has a score of 29 reputation points but 15 users voted for it.

A solution using existing stuff is using the polls. It will be limited and maybe time consuming but it could work. During the month take nomations like this, at the end of the month, hopefully there will be ten or less nomations, create a new thread with a poll and let it run for a while. It might be that the Sept 05 award might be awarded in November 05.

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                  Call me dense. I didn't realize that there was a Post of the Month.
                  Not paying attention again?
                  GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by scrivener
                    That's a good description of it..I'm drinking a can of it now as I write this. (A small reward after a hard 3 hours in the field..very hot day here today). I thought that it might be kind of neat prize, but seeing the response by those who have sampled it, I guess it's not such a good idea. I have other ideas if nothing else pans out for a prize idea.
                    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; September 14, 2005, 09:20 AM.

Comment

The reaction from the start of this thread and in particular this post had me laughing this afternoon. The post is not very substantial but in reaction to the start of the thread, I could almost see the frustrated emotion coming from the poster.

I think some people around here are gluttons for punishment. Can't wait to see what the reaction will be when the celebrity in question returns.
                      I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by mel
                        The reaction from the start of this thread and in particular this post had me laughing this afternoon. The post is not very substantial but in reaction to the start of the thread, I could almost see the frustrated emotion coming from the poster.

I think some people around here are gluttons for punishment. Can't wait to see what the reaction will be when the celebrity in question returns.
                        The question begs, "why egg it on?" Its akin to poking a caged mongoose with a stick, just so one can hear the shka-shka-shkahiss noises.

Remove all the personal stuff, and let the mixed-martial-posting dry up. Kanaka non grata status will return. And it is easier on everyone.

pax

Comment

I just started this thread as a little joke -- it's from my days on a mailing list. Every so often, someone would post something good, and someone else would nominate it for Post of the Month, even though there never was an official award given. One could also be nominated for Human of the Month (the name of the mailing list was Humans) if one were on a roll.

But Surfingfarmboy's nice offer to reward someone with Cheerwine makes me wonder how fun this would be as a one-time thing. Anyone else on board?
                          GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                            The question begs, "why egg it on?" Its akin to poking a caged mongoose with a stick, just so one can hear the shka-shka-shkahiss noises.
                            Yes, I agree with your analogy here. This time I'm just going to stand on the side, lurk and see what happens with the revived thread. It's out of my area so I don't have to worry about it.
                            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

Originally posted by Pua'i Mana'o
                              But who's got the stick, and who's in the cage?

Comment

Working...
                              X