Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where's the best place to buy a generator?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where's the best place to buy a generator?

With the possibility that a hurricane might hit the isles before the season's over, my Mom is thinking of getting a portable generator to keep the basic things running in our foster home (actually, we don't need one to survive on because the clients don't have any important vital neccessities, but better to be safe than sorry).

I have no idea where to start looking for one, but what should I expect?
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Where's the best place to buy a generator?

having a mobile auto detailing business for over 20 yrs I have bought many a gen.Cosco has been a great place here on the mainland.Add up the amps you need and be sure to take into account the startup spikes for electric moters on the stuff you need to run.Extra gen amps(headroom) is always a good idea but remember the bigger the gen motor the louder it's gonna be,and they can get waaay loud.
    You should be able to buy new for 300 to $500 less if you dont have alot of stuff to run at the same time.With the prices so low now it seldom pays to buy used.If you buy new you may want to resist the urge to put gas/oil in it and start it since they are a pain to empty/clean to store properly and they will gunk up if you leave gas in the lines and carb.Condensation may be trouble too.So I would advise keeping fuel & oil nearby but not in the gen.

Comment

Originally posted by Fondoo
      If you buy new you may want to resist the urge to put gas/oil in it and start it since they are a pain to empty/clean to store properly and they will gunk up if you leave gas in the lines and carb.Condensation may be trouble too.So I would advise keeping fuel & oil nearby but not in the gen.
      Interesting to read your advice. My dad just got a generator today in case of a hurricane or bad power outage. Silly me, I always thought no power meant we could have fun pulling out all the huge candles we otherwise never get to use. I don't think he likes having to sit around and TALK. Nah! Love ya dad, you're looking out for us.
      Fukujinzuke! I've got myself in a pickle!

Comment

Originally posted by tiptoetulip
        I don't think he likes having to sit around and TALK. Nah! Love ya dad, you're looking out for us.
        thats funny,would rather have a fork in the eye than a sensitive moment spoken aloud?

Comment

Working...
        X