Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Buy's Perfect "SECRET" To Screw You!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Buy's Perfect "SECRET" To Screw You!

Source

Topic: This Article was taken from an actual Best Buy Document Verbatim.
    and for the sake of things here is the article in it's entirety:

"The Perfect Sale" - 6 Steps to Success

ATTN: BBY Computer/SOHO

1) Introduce the PSP (product service plan) in your presentation. Do not wait till the end.
    Ex.
    Sales Associate: I understand your daughter is going off to college, and while she'll be away we offer a protection plan that will cover anything that goes wrong with her computer/laptop.
    Customer: No, I'm not interested
    SA: Well it's something that you really should look into. Because if anything were ever to go wrong with your daughters computer she would have to take it in to be repaired. To give you an estimate, we charged $60/hr to decide what is wrong with it and $80/hr to fix it not including additional parts that may be needed.
    C: I really don't need that, doesn't the computer come with a warranty.
    S: Well that's a good question. This computer comes with a 6 month warranty but does not cover parts. Know here is a side by side comparison of what we cover and what the manufacturer covers.( hand customer comparison sheet and fill it out in front of him/her).
    C: Ok, but I'm really not interested I just want the computer.
    S: Are you sure, because you are really passing up a great deal here, if something ever happens while your daughter is away she could have no computer for up to a month.
    C:No, I'm sure.
    *1*At this time make sure to sell at least 3 accessories and if it is a laptop make sure to offer a bundle deal and a Platinum PSP**
    *2*Once you have successfully added at least 3 accessories to the sale take the customer to a mobile register away from the floor traffic.**
    *3*Since you Have been unsuccessful selling the Service Plan, Have another associate go with you to "help you" ring up the sale.**
    *4*The other associate will help you tag team the customer. The other associates job at this point is to point out how amazing the computer is and what a great deal it is. Once you scan the computer/laptop the Kiosk will ask you if the customer wants the Service Plan. The accompanying sales associate will say, "hey did 'Joe' tell you about the Service Plan that covers anything that may go wrong with your computer...?**
    *5* If your accompanying associate is unable to get the Service Plan then you must say, "I'm sorry I'm new here and there seems to be something wrong with my kiosk, I'll be right back with my supervisor and he will be able to fix it."**
    *6* You return with your Supervisor, and now You, the accompanying associate and your supervisor Tag Team the Customer Once again until the Service Plan is accepted by the Customer.**

It should not take you till step 6 to close the sale, but if you are unsuccessful in the beginning you must follow the set procedures. Your Supervisor will conduct Roll-Playing During This Month's Sunday Morning Monthly Meeting.

Another link

I'm not trying to stop people from going to Best Buy, but for you Leeward/Central Oahu people, BB will be opening in Aiea soon, and don't forget there's Circuit City literally across the street.

How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Best Buy's Perfect "SECRET" To Screw You!

hey nice post,electronic waranties are highly profitable and close to the realm of "Free Money"
    Real free money is teflon coatings at car dealerships.I'm a 20 year pro and was never able to sell it on principal.They get up to $500 for a hand wax job and a bogus waranty that says in much fancier terms "your paint will not fall off your car because it has not been waxed"

Comment

This thing is rife with spelling errors; I am skeptical about it's being an official document. Of course these plans are money-farms, but that doesn't mean the company's trying to screw you. It's trying to sell a product and a service, and as long as it delivers what it claims and as long as you feel you're getting your money's worth, I don't see what the big deal is.
      But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
      GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

ya I agree "screw you" is to strong a word on an electronics extended waranty.
        The auto dealership "Teflon Coating" Is stealing plain and simple being in the auto cleaning and preserving business 20+yrs with paint chemists,high end bodyshop owners,and other long term car polishers in my network we know the truth

Comment

So they want to sell you an extended warranty and make more money. So what? This isn't news. They're not in business to be nice, they're in business to make money. And you can always say "no".

Comment

I never buy extended warranties on anything. Easy for me to walk away from the kind of sales pitch that is allegedly run at BestBuy. Since I never buy PCs, I know I will never buy a computer from Best Buy. I haven't even been there since it opened.
            I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

first off, thanks for plugging this story. So far it's had a huge amount of attention just google the story name and you'll see for yourself.

Thanks again,

BogeyDope

http://www.bogeydope.com

Comment

A couple of years ago I purchased a Canon bubble jet printer from CompUSA. The cashier there offered me an extended warranty for the printer that will last for 2 years. When he told me the price which was a $1 or $2 cheaper than what I just paid for the printer, I said no thank you and then I tried to convince him of the logic of that sales pitch.

Comment

When I worked in the Appliance Department at Home Depot, we were forced to do the same thing. But at Home Depot, if the customer declined, you had to have the customer sign a form stating that they declined the Service Plan. And then, to make things worse, we had to call the customer, AT THEIR HOME, 7 days later and ask again if they’d like to buy the service plan. And if they declined again, 4 days later we had to call, and then 2 days. After the last call, if they still declined, we could throw out the form they signed, and stop calling. The other associates and I refused to do it, because it’s ridiculous. Turned out it wasn’t a big deal that we didn’t do it, but still. Way too far.
                  Arturo

Comment

This is a good reason why when I fill out the forms and they ask for my phone number and email, I give them false numbers. I hate junk phone calls and spam email. The only thing I give is my mailing address because the burden is on the firm to pay for anything they mail out to me... and then I can choose whether to read, respond or simply toss it out.

A good phone number to use is 983-3211 (for HNL/Oahu) ... it gives anyone the time of the day.
                    I'm still here. Are you?

Comment

This thing's all over the web. Like scrivener notes, it's obvious this isn't a top level corporate document. At best, a store or regional manager wrote out the same instructions I'd bet he already gives during training sessions. The basic point? Push the extended service plan until you're blue in the face.

Nothing new here. I'd wager there are memos and e-mails just like it within Sears, Circuit City, CompUSA, and especially Radio Shack, the king of the "suggestive sell." (Some corporate drones refer to stuff like this, and stuff like "accessory packs," as "fries," as in, "Would you like fries with that?")

With competition and margins the way they are in the consumer electronics space, it's not surprising to me that stores have to get aggressive with this "extra" stuff. I'd bet it makes up a pretty big chunk of their profits.

The weird thing is, the couple of times I got talked into a service plan, I ended up using them. Sure, the folks at CompUSA put you through hell to get anything back from them (thus, I will never go back), but they will... eventually.

Comment

Circuit City does the exact same scam. double team and they don't shut up about the extended plan.. so, right off the bat, I tell them no extended plan. when they ask again, i say forget it and walk out. Circuit city is still better than CompUSA as far as customer service.

Comment

I've needed to replace a bunch of electronics lately so gave Best Buy a shot. Each time I've been offered the extended (4 year) warranty. I offered to buy a 2 year. They don't have that. I tell them that it's necessary, due to my profession, to upgrade all equipment every 2 years. That ends all the warranty sales pitches...probably 'cuz they really think I'll be back in 2 years! No pressure.

Comment

My friend just bought a new house and got four new major appliances (not Kenmore!) from Best Buy. Totally happy with his purchase.

BB beat Sears in price by about $50-100/appliance.
                            Last edited by Pomai; November 4, 2005, 05:41 AM.
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Working...
                            X