Google Earth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Google Earth

in case anyone's interested, google's got something that's pretty cool. i think we've all used yahoo maps and it's helpful, for sure, but google earth takes it one step forward by having a ton of satellite images so rather than a yahoo-type map, you see a real photo of what you're looking for.

once you're there, you can use your mouse to move around, zoom in, zoom out, get directions from A to B, etc.

for more info, go to http://earth.google.com/
    525,600 minutes, 525,000 moments so dear. 525,600 minutes - how do you measure, measure a year?

Re: google earth

I printed a mapquest map and a google earth map for someone to meet somewhere, and they said that they found it easier to work with the google map than the mapquest map.

Of course, the google maps aren't always up to date.
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Google Earth

I have been playing with Google Earth. I know most of the views are 9 months or older. But has anyone found anything interesting.

Try type in AREA 51 ...... I though it not suppose to be there? Am I dreaming?
      Is it real? hmmmm

Comment

Re: Google Earth

I've been using GoogleEarth to download aerial maps for our appraisal reports. Mostly they're pretty accurate, but I have the advantage of having plat maps for the software too.

Using GoogleEarth, I found my old hale in Mānoa Valley, my grade school, Jr High and High School, too. I been zooming all over Honolulu, over the Pali... over to Maui.... so much fun!!
        Aloha,
        Mokihana

Comment

Mac users, rejoice! The OSX version of Google Earth is finally here.

Comment

Google has apparently upped the resolution of its satellite images of several global locations, from New York to London to Sydney. I'm not sure, but it looks like Honolulu also got a bump.

Check out how far you can zoom now -- this is the YWCA on Richards Street. You can see individual table umbrellas, and make out car windshields and the like.

Even caught a plane coming in for a landing at HNL.

Cool. And a little spooky.

Comment

Originally posted by pzarquon
              Google has apparently upped the resolution
              But they didn't update it from the earth.

They don't even show the construction that's going on at my local church, nor they didn't show the Pearl City Walmart, and the Aiea Best Buy isn't even built. It seems to be a year old.
              Last edited by adrian; January 26, 2006, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Yeah, I think they just increased the resolution of the images they had in their database, but as they explain, the images actually come from different sets from different times, and they most certainly won't be as current as last month or anything -- and sometimes easily years old.

We're a long way away from real-time... but definitely a lot closer than I thought we were not to long ago!

Comment

Anyone saw the flying car on google earth?

Source

Comment

Oh finally, Google Earth has my house. They didn't have any images of the area north of HCC before. Looks pretty neat from above
                    myspace | facebook | puppy moonwalk

Comment

Originally posted by doc1456
                      Anyone saw the flying car on google earth?

Source
                      wow thats interesting
                      808blogs.com- Start your own blog now, for free!
                      kazaru.808blogs.com - my blog!
                      http://kazaru.com - personal site DOWN ATM

Comment

Now what would be really cool is if there were A9.com maps for Honolulu, too.

Comment

Just in time for its first birthday, Google Earth released a new beta version last week. A simplified user interface, and more 3-D goodies (i.e. textures on buildings), as well as tweaks to the metadata format. The new version comes on the heels of a massive update to the image database.

Still haven't browed around Hawaii to check for anything new, though some friends have reported that some areas seem to have reverted to older data (though this may have only affected the online Google Maps, not the standalone Google Earth).

Comment

I found my daughter's home on the mainland...clear as a bell. Could rotate and tilt it 'til I could see right into the windows. TMI...<covers eyes!>

Comment

how many.. what do you.. have you ever...

i was trying to think of another HT like query for all to answer. ya know. the usual;
                              how many spoiling pieces of food do you have in yer icebox.
                              How many times a day do you cough.
                              what island do you think about when you are counting the dust bunnies under your bed...

But instead thot it would be more fun to ask;
                              who has searched out their fave spots on google earth?
                              it's cool to check out yer old neighborhoods. Places you have visited...
                              Even film locations of flicks you know well.
                              Now, i am checking out vertigo, rear window and other hitch film's locales...

try it.

Comment

Working...
                              X