Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your ethnicity?

Me?
    Japanese. But, more accurately, Okinawan.
    Born and raised here, of course, soooooo.....local?

Re: Ethnicity that you identify with...

Local works for me, although I'm a dysfunctional local... despite being locally born and raised and attending public schools, I have no pidgin ability, and no fondness for haupia or mochi.

For census and survey forms, I go for Hawaiian or Pacific Islander (my grandmother was half Hawaiian) if available, otherwise the catch-all Asian (as I'm mostly Japanese, with a dash of Chinese and Filipino).

Comment

Korean-English-German, but adopted and raised by local Okinawan parents. In other words, your typical Hawaiian chop suey. On survey forms, I'll put "Asian" or "other", depending on my mood that day. When pressed, as a kid I used to say "Japanese" but these days I usually choose "Korean".

Comment

Dutch-English for me, so even though I'm approaching the 15-year mark as a resident of Oahu, I know I'll never be a "local".

Comment

Well what can I say..... I am mostly Filipino and Hawaiian but also got Portuguese, Chinese, japanese, european and tahitian. I usually go for pacific islander/ asian but when offered I prefer other or more than one of the choices they present. Why do they need to know when most people in Hawaii or from Hawaii tend to have more then 3 ethnic back grounds?

Comment

The ethnicity I identify most with is Hawaiian/Pacific Islander although I'm also Japanese and German. Since I was raised with my mom's family, I didn't learn any traditional Japanese customs which would've served me well now that I live in Japan.
            Send POI

Comment

I am Black,White, and a bit of Filipino. Born in New Jersey.
              This is my Home. If I had to idenify with an ethinicity it would definitely be local.

-vic

Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

Me...I'm part Filipino, Chinese but mostly Japanese. Most importantly I'm Hawaiian at heart. As far as who I identify with... I say Hawaiian. Love the culture, the language, the people and of course the food!

Comment

Gee, with a name like Miyashiro, what do you think? Uchinanchu to the core!
                  (That's Okinawan, for those who don't know. )

Comment

Japanese...although married to Chinese. We serve more Japanese dishes at home, one of my sons insisted he was only Japanese when he was younger...funny You post wonderful pictures Vic...neato! It's harder for me to write pidgin English...although I think I can speak it pretty good, when I speak to my kids in pidgin they can't always understand it!
                    Retired Senior Member

Comment

This has nothing to do with ethnicity but I'm curious to know what gas prices are in Japan where Leimamo is?
                      Retired Senior Member

Comment

Originally posted by Glen Miyashiro
                        Gee, with a name like Miyashiro, what do you think? Uchinanchu to the core!
                        (That's Okinawan, for those who don't know. )

Me too. Well, maybe not too the core since I also have Japanese and Irish mixed in with the Okinawan, but I am a Miyashiro. And, hey, I even have a cousin named Glenn.

Comment

Like Glenn Miyashiro, I am 100% Uchinanchu (Okinawan) -- which makes it easy to identify with a single ethnicity.

However, I had a bit of ethnic confusion as a child with people referring to me as "Japanese" although my family was quick to educate me that "Okinawan" is different from "Japanese."

Comment

Originally posted by Donna
                            ...I had a bit of ethnic confusion as a child with people referring to me as "Japanese" although my family was quick to educate me that "Okinawan" is different from "Japanese."
                            Yeah, wassup wit dat?
                            My parents didn't really explain it to me until I was like, in early high school.
                            I remember feeling totally confused. Like telling me I was adopted or somethin'.

Comment

And me........I'm 1/2 Pocho and 1/2 white with little bit American Indian mixed w/ the white. No real Hawaiian blood but born and raised Hawaiian. I love everything about Hawaii. My sons are even part Hawaiian.

Comment

Working...
                              X