Acai Juice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Acai Juice

One of the large grocery store chains here in NE just starting selling, in their produce departments, small glass bottles containing maybe 7 oz. of a juice imported from Brazil, called acai juice. (The "c" in acai has the little line attached to its underside, like the second "c" in Curacao.) It looks like purple grape juice.

I'm just wondering if the fruit to make this juice is made from a fruit I used see local farmers on the Big Island grow; there it was called "jaboticaba", a.k.a. "tree grapes". Jaboticaba, not native to Hawai'i, is an import from Brazil. Seeing that acai juice is imported from Brazil, I'm just curious if this juice might actually be made from what's known as the jaboticaba fruit in Hawai'i, i.e., are acai and jaboticaba the same fruit?

I'm kind of leery of plunking down its high price for in order to sample it and find out that it's a completely different fruit which I might not like.

I think Hawai'i is scheduled (maybe has) to get some of this juice, as the glass bottle is marked with the 5 cent refund for deposit in HI reminder.

Has anybody here in the HT 'ohana tried this acai juice?
    Last edited by Surfingfarmboy; September 20, 2005, 02:24 AM.

Re: Acai Juice

Originally posted by Surfingfarmboy
    I'm kind of leery of plunking down its high price for in order to sample it and find out that it's a completely different fruit which I might not like.
    How much was the 7 oz. bottle going for?
    But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
    GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Googling both acai and jaboticaba, I found out they are not the same thing. The acai fruit comes from a kind of palm tree (Euterpe oleracea- Assai or Acai Palm-Brazil -Common name derives from refreshing drink from its fruit. Also popular ice cream flavor.). The jaboticaba (Myrciaria cauliflora Berg., M. jaboticaba Berg., M. tenella Berg., M. trunciflora Berg) is distantly related to the guava and the acai palm. Both acai and jaboticaba juices are supposed to be full of nutrients.
      Since it's somewhat related to the jaboticaba, my guess it that the drink will taste similar.

My favorite Brazilian soft drink is guarana.

Miulang
      "Americans believe in three freedoms. Freedom of speech; freedom of religion; and the freedom to deny the other two to folks they don`t like.” --Mark Twain

Comment

For Scriv: I should have mentioned it! The store I see it at is trying to get $3.49 for the (appx.) 7 oz. bottle. It's not all THAT expensive, but it is fruit juice. I'd kind of like to hear some feedback on it before I give it a try.

For Muilang: Thank you for the links and info on both the acai and jaboticaba fruit. BTW...plenty of guarana soda to be had here in NE. (The Portuguese locals here drink plenty of it.) I'm not a big fan of it, but hoo boy, what a big caffeine rush after drinking it, yeah?

Comment

Working...
        X