Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apple head attacks record firms

Apple head attacks record firms
    "Greedy" record companies are pushing for an increase in the price of music downloads, Apple's chief executive Steve Jobs has said.

Mr Jobs vowed to resist such pressure, after revealing that music firms were pushing for higher prices on Apple's iTunes internet music store.

He said companies already made a bigger profit through iTunes than in CD sales.

Apple's co-founder was speaking ahead of the Apple Expo showcase in Paris. Record companies did not comment.
    Last edited by admin; September 21, 2005, 08:29 AM. Reason: For the millionth time, do not post copyrighted articles in full. Excerpts only!
    How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Re: Apple head attacks record firms

Originally posted by doc1456
    Apple head attacks record firms
    Last edited by admin : Today at 08:29 AM. Reason: For the millionth time, do not post copyrighted articles in full. Excerpts only
    children and christians.....
    they're not perfect.
    Just forgiven!
    wheeee!

Comment

I think it's a little funny to see someone in the position of Steve Jobs essentially lecture anyone about corporate greed, but I also agree with his essential point.

I am most definitely a iTunes shopper, and have almost accidentally found myself in the position of acquiring all my music through... er, appropriate channels. It's simple, and affordable. I truly haven't bought a CD in years, but I think I spent more on music this year than I ever have.

I think 99 cents is a perfect price point, both for the value of the product (including the overall math versus albums) and psychologically. Any retail outlet can tell you this. Once you start moving into $1.19, $1.59, $2.99, you're thinking in terms of dollars, not cents (taxes notwithstanding), and reluctance grows. As again will, I'm sure, the popularity of... alternative music acquisition methods.

Given "the sky is falling" laments the music industry has heaped upon us for the last couple of years, I think they should be glad for the market that has developed online. Lots of revenue sure beats no revenue, and it seems stupid to start arguing for a little more than lots of revenue.

Comment

Well, I suppose if Apple Head attacks them then Mister Potato Head can't be far behind.

Sorry. Carry on.
        I buy all my music on CD.

That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comment

I'm thinking that maybe the record firms are trying to make online music sites less affordable and regain the cd sales.

If that's the case I think the record firms should make purchasing CD's more inticing like adding some software on the flipside of their audio CD's to include upcoming music releases from favorite artists, freeware, trial software and other things you cannot find in the Itunes website.

Maybe they could even put a DVD video clip on the flipside of the title track of that CD! These kinds of inticements would encourage me to buy the CD instead of downloading the individual song.

Now this is just a hunch but I wonder if downloading any one song from an artist will popularize the One Hit Wonders. One of the good things about buying the CD or Record (I'm old school) is that you get to hear a compilation of the artist's songs. Some recording artists like to put an album together track by track so the entire album is a listening experience from track to track.

I've been listening to my burned CD's for so long that when I popped in an old Eric Clapton CD into my car player I was astounded at the "other" tracks Clapton did that I totally glossed over when I ripped the CD in the first place.

There's music treasure to be found in CD's that you'll never discover if you only download that one "Gotta Have" song on that Green Day CD.

I guess regressing to Dial up out here in Keaau has made me rediscover the full value of an album's total compilation of songs plus you get liner notes to boot!
          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

For the millionth time, do not post copyrighted articles in full. Excerpts only!
            Sorry, its just a habit of mine.
            How'd I get so white and nerdy?

Comment

Sorry, its just a habit of mine.
              let's look at that...
              what does that mean exactly, proficient English editor?
              You are proud of it as a posession, and ya won't let it go?
              It identifies you?
              It makes you what you are?
              "That's the way I am so i won't change"?

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe
                There's music treasure to be found in CD's that you'll never discover if you only download that one "Gotta Have" song on that Green Day CD.
                I have spent quite a bit of money on legal downloads this past year, but just as much money as usual on CDs. The online downloads are great for those "I need this song now" purchases, as when I recently needed a few power ballads for a list I was making; additionally, as was possibly mentioned earlier, I'll pay ninety-nine cents for a single track whose original album has no appeal to me.

Maybe I'm just turning into a grouchy old man, but the surge in popularity of song-downloads signals something else I worry about: the end of the album. Musicians I really, really like go into a studio and they don't just slap together twelve songs. There's usually a musical theme or a lyrical concept or an artistic direction; considerable thought is put into the order of the songs, and where they fall in the album as a whole; the CD revolution already took a small part of that away when it did away with the album "side," but the album itself in many ways was improved ('though some would say differently) by the longer play of the CD. I think of some of the best albums, and it saddens me to think that people are hearing certain songs out of context, but at least those contexts are available for those who want to hear them. If we ever get to a point where most people just download their music, we're going to see, I am quite sure, the end of the album, and that makes me wistful.
                But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

"power ballad"

now, THAT sounds like a contradiction in terms.

Comment

The problem is that the record companies are idiots and didn't do the math when they signed up for long term contracts. What it boils down to is that digital distributors (iTunes, Rhapsody and so on) are making 2x's more than hard copy distributors without having to stock, ship and warehouse product.

Now the idiot record companies are crying foul because like usual the greed to get ahead of piracy meant that the lawyers and accountants of the companies didn't catch the miss couculations. Now their pissed and they want to put the genie back in the bottle.

TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LATE!

Comment

Originally posted by craigwatanabe

I guess it depends on your musical tastes and buying habits...I used to buy 45 RpM singles for bands whose song I liked but was never sure about the album, and bought the LP for groups who I knew I'd probably enjoy the whole album.

Same on itunes, especially when getting songs for my two kids, who like the current stuff that's out. I gave up on illegal downloads mainly because the quality of the file can vary. I have bought a few full-length albums, which is especially enticing when you can get 12 to 15 tracks for $9.99, which in many cases is cheaper than both buying each track separately or going to the store to buy the CD. I do still enjoy buying CDs as well, though in a limited capacity. I also think being able to here a sample of the track helps.

When vinyl albums were the norm, you could on least count on most of the songs being pretty solid. CDs and their longer capacity led to the advent of more "filler", tracks that were put on to fill up the time IMHO. I find it amazing in this internet age that I can watch a video on TV, and just by going to my computer, can have that song in minutes.

I also found it interesting that Green Day was used as an example in this thread. This is the first album in a long time that was written as a"concept" record according to the band, where all the tracks have a constant storyline running throughout. My favorite song, "Jesus of Suburbia" clocks in at over 9 minutes! Also feel a little happier knowing I got my 99 cents worth on that one!

Comment

Originally posted by tvguy
                        I also found it interesting that Green Day was used as an example in this thread. This is the first album in a long time that was written as a"concept" record according to the band, where all the tracks have a constant storyline running throughout. My favorite song, "Jesus of Suburbia" clocks in at over 9 minutes!
                        Depends on what you mean by "a long time." Here are a few (relatively) recent concept albums:
                        • Blind Guardian, Nightfall in Middle Earth (an album based on J.R.R. Tolkien's Simarillion), 1998
                        • Neal Morse, Testimony (a double CD, biographical), 2003
                        • Spock's Beard, Snow (double CD), 2002
                        • Savatage, Dead Winter Dead (about the Bosnian wars), 1995
                        • Savatage, Streets: A Rock Opera, 1991
                        • Savatage, The Wake of Magellan, 1998
                        • Dream Theater, Metropolis, Part II: Scenes from a Memory, 1999
                        • Rhapsody, every album, including the most recent Symphony of Enchanted Lands (narrated by the guy who plays Sauron in The Lord of the Rings), 2004
                        • Alice Cooper, The Last Temptation (super-underrated!) (and most of his studio albums since), 1994
                        • Smashing Pumpkins, Machina (super-overrated), 2000
                        • Most Marilyn Manson albums
                        • Radiohead, Kid A, 2001
                        • Tom Petty, The Last DJ, 2002
                        • Neil Young, Greendale, 2003
                        • Avantasia, The Metal Opera, Parts I and II, 2001 & 2002
                        • The White Stripes, Get Behind Me, Satan, 2005
                        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
                        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Working...
                        X