Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any lunchwagon connoissuers here?

Any opinion about the best one around??

**I've been warned that this question has been known to spark a riot.

Re: Any lunchwagon connoissuers here?

It definitely isn't the one behind Atherton House at UH-Manoa, although the people there are so nice and friendly it's difficult not to patronize it now and then. (And their offerings are better than Sodexho's on campus.)

I've heard that one which is parked mauka of Sports Authority on Ward Avenue is excellent, but haven't tried it.

Comment

Here near the airport, there are half a dozen lunchwagons operating within a four-block radius. The one I really liked, though, was Tani's... but it was chased off by the owner of the property on which it parked 'cause it was doing too well. I know they're still operating in the neighborhood, but it's not worth the trip anymore.

Downtown, I like the lunchwagon that parks adjacent to the King Kamehameha statue fronting Ali`iolani Hale (across `Iolani Palace). There are two on that street, actually, but it's the one that stakes out the spot closer to S. King that I prefer. I can't think of a specific dish or specialty, but I've always enjoyed whatever I've bought there.

My all time favorite lunchwagon isn't around any more... it was the one that parked at the Municipal Building, but it disappeared one day to be replaced by a Ba Le Sandwich wagon (bleaugh).

Comment

Do you know about Tae's Teppan-Yaki lunch wagon, in the Kaheka Street Daiei parking lot?

The chef used to be a teppan-yaki chef. The lunch wagon sells one thing: teppan-yaki-style, thinly sliced beef rolled up around thinly-grated daikon, resting on a bed of romaine lettuce. You get your choice of sauces (the wasabi seems to be the most popular, but I like just the salt and pepper), and your plate comes with a pretty good ponzu dipping sauce. It won't stuff you to the gills, but for $5.50, you get a yummy-tasting, high-quality takeout.

I like to take mine to the Daiei food court. What a menagerie of humans in various conditions!

The posted hours are M-F, 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and 5 p.m. to 8 p.m., but I hear the food never lasts until closing. Give it a try. I've had it twice in the last three weeks, and am going again tomorrow night (my Bible study is a block from there, and I ride the bus from work).

[duplicate-posted somewhere else]
        But I'm disturbed! I'm depressed! I'm inadequate! I GOT IT ALL! (George Costanza)
        GrouchyTeacher.com

Comment

Pu'uwainani's, in the parking lot at the 'ewa-makai corner of Halekauwila and South Streets, is really good. The Advertiser wrote them up last year and got them a lot of business. When I'm in the area, I always go there and get the fried 'ahi poke. So 'ono!

Comment

aaahahhh the lunch wagon! I love the food from the lunch wagon.

I remember i used to work at Mike Salta Pontiac by the airport. The roach coach used to come by with the bestest food evar!

Then when i was at UH there was a really good one that came by the Frat house. that one had the best Chicken Katsu.

I do not remember the names of either one of them but I always had good expiriences with the lunch trucks.

In fact I am getting hungry just thinking about it now!

I can hear the bell as a type!

-vic

Enjoy this moment. This moment is your life.

Comment

Originally posted by kukui_nut
              Any opinion about the best one around??

Tsukenjo's!
              Ward and da kine.

Comment

Has anybody tried that burrito one? I've seen it parked at Daiei in the parking lot during the weekdays around lunch time...it looks kinda shady, but then that's the way most of the good ones are, right? (And the bad ones too, unfortunately...)

Thanks

Comment

Across from Tsukenjo's (great food) by American Savings Bank is fairly new lunch wagon. I had their prime rib sandwich. Ordered Roast 1/2 chicken for Mama with gravy. Fridays is the normal Hawaiian Plate Special.

My absolute favorite was the lunch wagon by Fishermens Warf. Curry stew and mac salad, old style. Now I know why, I can't lose this weight. I gain weight just thinking about our local grinds!

Note: Off topic but I have to tell you abour Chowder House at Ward Warehouse. Had dinner there last night with Mama. Laid back atmosphere, great grinds and the price is reasonable!
                  Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
                  Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

I dunno I've eaten Tsukenjo's for over 20-years already and the quality is slipping.

But when in Campbell Industrial park, go to Sassy Cassy parked in front of the Aloha Petroleum facility across from the H-Power entrance and savor their "Broke Da Mout" Teriyaki beef plate with all the drizzle. It's Number One because it says so on their menu! Trust me, you won't find a better teri plate than at Sassy's. Mo betta den Tsukenjo's!
                    Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

this is a side topic, but i wish i could start one myself and live off that for the rest of my life on the island(s) :wink:
                      There is not a day I do not dream about The Islands...

Comment

If you're heading to Waihiawa around lunch time, take the H2 north and go past the Mililani exits and take the tech park exit. Right by Oceanic's office builidng check out Scoopers. I like their plate lunches. If you miss Scoopers another lunch wagon takes their place to catch the late lunch crowd. I never tried that one, though.
                        Whoa, Mista Buss Driva, eh, you can stop the buss o wat?

Comment

HO may wen Wahiawa become ocean front?
                          Life is what you make of it...so please read the instructions carefully.

Comment

We tried a newly-established lunchwagon in the Iwilei area today...

Nixon (da' guy behind.. he owns the lunchwagon) gives a big shaka

Name: PAPER PLATE Catering Services
                            Location: Corner of Pacific St. and Iwilei Rd. (just corner-bound between of the Castle & Cook building, Dole Cannery Complex and City Mill)
                            Hours of Operation: Monday - Friday 10am to 1:00
                            Contact: (808) 848-0007, (808) 232-1254, email: paperplatecatering@yahoo.com
                            Proprietor: Nixon Dabalos, owner/chef
                            Menu:
                            DAILY MENU
                            1. BBQ Chicken - mini $3.50, regular $5.00
                            2. Grilled Garlic Mahi w/fresh tomato salsa - mini $4.00, regular $5.50
                            3. Pork Adobo - mini $3.75, regular $5.00
                            4. Herb Salmon w/creamy basil pesto - regular $5.50
                            5. Crab Cakes w/chili aioli sauce- regular $5.50
                            6. BBQ Beef Short Ribs - mini 3.75, regular 5.50
                            7. Meatloaf Loco Moco w/mushroom gravy - mini $3.50, regular 5.00

Mix & Match 2 choices @ $6.50
                            Includes: White rice & choice of Toss Salad or Mac Salad
                            Dressing: Ranch, Italian or Thousand Islands

DRINKS
                            Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, Sprite, Ice Tea, Passion Orange or Bottled Water - 65ยข each

WEEKLY SPECIALS
                            Monday/Tuesday:
                            Misoyaki Butterfish - $6.50
                            Shrimp & Mussels w/oyster sauce: - $6.50
                            BBQ Pork Spareribs - $5.50
                            Fried Ahi Poke w/ginger shoyu dressing - $5.50

Wednesday/Thursday:
                            Shrimp Pasta w/choice of cream or marinara sauce - $6.00
                            Eggplant Parmesan w/garlic bread - $5.50
                            Orange Chicken w/ginger fried rice - $5.50
                            Seared Tofu Steak w/shrimp & longbeans - $5.50

Aloha Friday:
                            Pork Lau Lau w/lomi salmon & haupia - $6.50
                            Kalua Pork & Cabbage w/lomi salmon & haupia - $6.50
                            Baby Back Ribs - $7.00
                            Fried Ahi Poke w/ginger shoyu dressing - $5.50
                            Mochiko Chicken w/sesame sauce - $5.00

*Prices may be updated. All items based on availability.

Crab Cakes with Aioli sauce (in container)

Crab Cake & BBQ Short Ribs Combo

Kalua Pork & Cabbage with Lomi Salmon & Haupia

Da' Scoops...
                            I had the Crab Cakes with tossed salad. Really ono! There's a nice hint of spice to it. Perhaps Ceyenne Pepper. Also tastes like there's onions and some other type of veggies mixed in, which gives it a complex, yet balanced texture and flavor. It's fried just right. Not too oily, burnt or soggy. I could see imitation crab in the patty, but not sure if there's real crab. Doesn't matter... it's convincing and certainly ono.. especially for just $5.50! The aioli also has a spicey zing and is a must to dip the crab cakes in. The rice and tossed salad is nothing to write home (or here) about. My buddies enjoyed their food as well. The Kalua pig is said to be moist and flavorful. So is the Lomi Salmon.. juss' right. The BBQ Beef Short Ribs are said to be ono too. They really pulehu the ribs.. not fried on a griddle.

As you can see, their name - Paper Plate - is a misnomer, as they actually serve your food in styrofoam clamshells. Huuuuhhhh, how I miss Kewalo's (Kanda's) waxpaper-lined paper plate! They also need some logo art on their wagon. "Lunch Wagon".. he he he.. well.. it certainly is that!

Overall, the flavor, portions, quality and service (really nice guys there) awards Paper Plate Catering lunchwagon 9 out of 10 shakas! We'll certainly return for more. The entire menu selection sounds so ono! If you're in the area, stop by and check 'em out. Gotta' support da' local businesses!
                            sigpic The Tasty Island

Comment

Hi - this is not a lunchwagon, but for anyone downtown in Bishop/Hotel St. area: try the Remington College Building - get Chinese, Italian, Indian, Philipino, Mexican, Soup/Salad/Sandwich place, fancy coffee drinks too.

Soon there will also be a Hawaiian/Samoan plate lunch place & a fancy plate lunch place open too.

oh, and for your convenience - H & R Block too. So you can get your food & do your taxes - kind of one stop shopping

and by the way, I work for building management so this is just a little PR for our building! We just went through 8 months of major renovation so it's really nice now for lunchtime - lots of seating and nice "atmosphere"

Hope to see you there!

Fran
                              "Democracy is the only system that persists in asking the powers that be whether they are the powers that ought to be."
                              โ€“ Sydney J. Harris

Comment

Working...
                              X