Murderball--thumbs up!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Murderball--thumbs up!

If you have some free time, I highly recommend you go see "Murderball" (currently at Doris Duke Theatre), a movie about quadriplegic rugby players. I truely enjoyed every moment of this documentary and came away inspired.

Re: Murderball--thumbs up!

This one's definitely on my list, but I doubt I'll make it to the Academy to catch it. FWIW, it's playing at The Doris Duke Theatre on Sept. 22, 23, and 24 at 1 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., with a special 4 p.m. showing added for Sept. 23 and 24.

Roger Ebert, who loved it, has written quite a bit about it, and is surprised after such a warm reception that it hasn't gotten as much attention as he thought it deserved (especially in the documentary-friendly wake of Mad Hot Ballroom, which I also want to see). See the Answer Man entry here for co-director David Shapiro's take.

The title of the movie, I think, is probably it's biggest liability. Without context, it didn't sound at all like something I'd be interested in. If it wasn't for the critical (but not popular) success, I might've ignored it completely.

Comment

Re: Murderball--thumbs up!

Originally posted by pzarquon
      The title of the movie, I think, is probably it's biggest liability. Without context, it didn't sound at all like something I'd be interested in. If it wasn't for the critical (but not popular) success, I might've ignored it completely.

Just so people know, "Murderball" was the original name given to the sport of quadriplegic rugby. :-) Obviously this name doesn't sit well with corporate sponsors, hence the change to something less "severe."

Comment

Working...
      X