Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rita Rita Rita Rita Rita

Now this is interesting ...

Just watched the local evening news here in Austin, Texas tonight -- something I'm usually loathe to do -- after I received three calls from distant folks wondering how badly Rita might affect my neck of the woods.

Traditionally, hurricanes lose their steam by the time they reach Central Texas, but given Rita's magnitude, it may still very well be a Category 1 hurricane when it reaches inland. And to give you perspective of how far Austin is from the coast, the drive from Austin to Galveston is roughly three hours. (Google says its 217 miles.)

So I actually had to head on down to the grocery store and actually, you know, prepare.

I'm not so much worried about the wind and rain, and I'm far enough away from creeks and rivers not to worry about flooding. But in these parts, severe weather can spawn tornadoes.

Well see ...

Re: Rita Rita Rita Rita Rita

Yipe. I hadn't thought about Austin... always seemed too far inland to have to worry about anything from the Gulf. But yeah, checking the 'error cone' on the weather sites, that storm could easily cut a wide swath deep into the U.S.

Apart from worried relatives calling you, has there been much buzz on Austin TV about the possible threat? Any runs on stores for water and toilet paper?

Comment

Just saw your post. Take care and know that I'm praying for you. Take care and GOD bless. Let us know how you're doing!

Auntie Lynn
      Be AKAMAI ~ KOKUA Hawai`i!
      Philippians 4:13 --- I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.

Comment

In my trip to the grocery store last night, all the bottled water was gone, gone, gone. Luckily, I ran out of bottled water the night before and got my week's supply then. And last night's news consisted mostly of hurricane anticipation reports. Shelters are opening up in Austin, and people getting the hell out of Galveston.

The Austin City Limits Music Festival is still scheduled to go on, but organizers are keeping an eye on the storm. They'll make an announcement on at 6:30 today (Thursday).

The Austin American-Statesman website (BugMeNot required) is pretty much focused on Rita.
        Last edited by NemesisVex; September 22, 2005, 04:07 AM.

Comment

Hang in there, NemesisVex! I'll be praying for you!

My family is evacuating within the hour. Our destination is 2.5 hours north, but that area of Louisiana always gets the thunderstorm brunt of everything. Out of the fryin' pan and into the fire.

From what I hear, the traffic is BAD BAD BAD! It may well take us twice as long to make it! Ugh. Camp songs.
          ~'Ailina

Comment

Originally posted by Ailina
            Hang in there, NemesisVex! I'll be praying for you!

My family is evacuating within the hour. Our destination is 2.5 hours north, but that area of Louisiana always gets the thunderstorm brunt of everything. Out of the fryin' pan and into the fire.

From what I hear, the traffic is BAD BAD BAD! It may well take us twice as long to make it! Ugh. Camp songs.
            You and your family will be in my prayers too. God bless you all and keep you safe. In the name of his son, Jesus, amen.

Let us know how you're doing Ailina and NemesisVex!

Aunty Lynn and the HT Ohana!

Comment

Quick update: Rita has made a sharp turn and may not hit Houston and Galveston directly. The latest maps show Rita making landfall on the Texas/Louisiana border. Central Texas is in the clear, although a greedy part of me wouldn't mind just a little rain to break all this triple-digit heat we've been having. (And it's already late September!)

Comment

From a guest post at a Houston blog I often read:
                They left home about 10:30am, but it took them 6 hours to go 20 miles. They then caught the contraflow lanes and the traffic started to move consistently, then it cleared up even more around Huntsville. Traffic is currently fair but moving well. They estimate getting in around 1am.
                "In" is someplace called Murphy, outside of Dallas.

The Houston Chronicle has a couple of Rita-specific blogs:

http://blogs.chron.com/rita/

http://blogs.chron.com/stormwatchers/

The first is general info; the second is people who are staying to ride it out.
                Last edited by Linkmeister; September 22, 2005, 09:22 PM. Reason: Add Houston Chron links
                http://www.linkmeister.com/wordpress/

Comment

We're home safe. It turns out Lafayette saw virtually no damage, but the city we fled to got the mess kicked out of it. No power or water there. Our parents, siblings, and my eldest daughter are still there, so please keep them in your prayers.

Bracing for the next one...
                  ~'Ailina

Comment

Glad to know you're safe, guys. Thank goodness.

Comment

Same here! Keeping you all of you in my prayers still!

Auntie Lynn

Comment

Working...
                      X